1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Would you go after Jairus Byrd and at what price?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by theranchsucks, Aug 22, 2013.

1. theranchsucks

theranchsucks Well-Known Member

1,028 Messages
    357 Likes Received
  2. GloryDaysRBack

GloryDaysRBack Well-Known Member

9,348 Messages
    761 Likes Received
    No. Rather build the trenches. Both side need fixing
  3. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

50,812 Messages
    4,888 Likes Received
    Not the area I would address if we were to make a trade.
  4. CowboyDiver

CowboyDiver Active Member

123 Messages
    31 Likes Received
    Yeah, we can fit another franchise tender salary in the secondary.o_O
  5. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

12,959 Messages
    5,340 Likes Received
    Not for draft picks. In the NFL, you either use cap space or draft picks on players, not both.
    pancakeman and GoJacks like this.
  6. theranchsucks

1,028 Messages
    357 Likes Received
    Um, safties are actually not that expensive.......and we would be getting a top 3 at his position
  7. CowboyDiver

123 Messages
    31 Likes Received
    7m franchise tender and he is ticked about signing for so little. He isn't coming cheap. We had like 8m in cap space, before we redid Lee's deal. We still have Dez to do. We need money for a vet guard.

Where do you think the cap hit is gonna come from and I really don't think we need to be giving away picks.
  8. PJTHEDOORS

PJTHEDOORS Well-Known Member

2,414 Messages
    610 Likes Received
    Rather use a 2nd next year on a qb (if a good one drops), if Tanney doesn't stick. If no qb, then use our 1st and 2nd picks on OL/DL.
  9. texbumthelife

texbumthelife Well-Known Member

3,336 Messages
    731 Likes Received
    I still don't believe you need elite safeties to have an elite defense, so no thanks. Like others have said, I don't want to pour draft picks into it and I would rather save money for the lines.
    jobberone likes this.
  10. supercowboy8

supercowboy8 Well-Known Member

5,416 Messages
    333 Likes Received
    No. I would wait till the offseason and actually go after two very good safeties with connections to this coaching staff and are younger and cheaper in T J Ward and Major Wright both will be free agents.
  11. TheCowboy

TheCowboy The Teen

2,514 Messages
    518 Likes Received
    Bills fans up here hate Byrd and whine about the contract situation and how much he sucks. No thank you.
  12. Pessimist_cowboy

Pessimist_cowboy Well-Known Member

2,097 Messages
    642 Likes Received
    no we need two guards BAAAAD
  13. EMMITTnROY

EMMITTnROY Well-Known Member

2,491 Messages
    98 Likes Received
    I know I'm in the minority here, but I'd give up a 2nd and 4th rounder for him, as was suggested. (I'm no salary cap guru, so I don't know the logistics or if it's possible. Just saying what I'd give up value-wise for him.)

The draft is a crapshoot. The truth is, we might spend a 2nd rounder on a FS just hoping and praying that he could become... Jairus Byrd. Why not trade for the real deal if he's being shopped for fairly cheap? I always value proven commodities over unproven potential. Would you give up a 2nd and 4th rounder to finally have another Darren Woodson-caliber player ballhawking along with the likes of Carr and Claiborne? Sign me up!
  14. theranchsucks

1,028 Messages
    357 Likes Received
    That's my point..........a second could get you a tight end like Escobar who can't block and wont see the field and a 4th could net us Arkin who can't block or Matt Johnson who can't get on the field. Why not get a sure thing who is a top 3 player at his position
    cannonball44 likes this.
  15. AsthmaField

AsthmaField Outta bounds

11,117 Messages
    2,683 Likes Received
    Byrd is a very good player. I don't know if I would make the trade or not, but if the price isn't too high, I'd think about it.

Like the article says, it would probably have to be a player for a player, so if we were heavy at a spot and the Bills needed help at that position, then I might start some dialogue to see what they're thinking.

That's just me though. I realize most don't want to do it, but he is as close to a difference maker at safety as you can get.
  16. Teague31

Teague31 Defender of the Star

6,348 Messages
    577 Likes Received
    I wonder what Risen thinks????
  17. CowboyDiver

123 Messages
    31 Likes Received
    It could also get you a Bruce Carter and Jason Witten. All for a lot less money than 7-8 mill per year to a safety.
  18. Verdict

Verdict Well-Known Member

3,415 Messages
    155 Likes Received
    I

I think he would endorse this deal. He loves defensive backs.
  19. jobberone

jobberone Genetically engineered moderating Orangutan Staff Member

38,249 Messages
    4,191 Likes Received
    You build superior teams by hitting on your draft picks not giving them up although I'll admit a 2nd and 4th is not ridiculous for a top tier safety. I'd rather develop what we have instead of trading for a safety. I would probably not trade for players unless they were high impact players.
    Zimmy Lives and Irvin88_4life like this.
  20. bkight13

bkight13 Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

2,409 Messages
    703 Likes Received
    Exactly. The only way to do it is to trade a present day player that wouldn't have an accelerated cap hit. Someone like Spencer, but they need him more than Byrd. Gotta see what Church, Allen and Johnson can do.