1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Would you go for 2 there?

Discussion in 'Sports Zone' started by joseephuss, Nov 30, 2013.

  1. joseephuss

    joseephuss Well-Known Member

    21,875 Messages
    1,478 Likes Received
    Michigan goes for 2 at the end of the game, fails and loses the game. Was it a good decision?

    I don't think it was. I think you play for OT. I also didn't like the play call. You have to give the QB a run pass option.
  2. BoysFan4ever

    BoysFan4ever Well-Known Member

    6,192 Messages
    2,011 Likes Received
    That was dumb.
  3. Red Dragon

    Red Dragon Well-Known Member

    4,309 Messages
    829 Likes Received
    I think it was the right decision. It just didn't work.

    In overtime, you would think the superior team would be likely to prevail, so the underdog should seize its opportunity for victory in regulation when it can.
    laythewood28 likes this.
  4. BoysFan4ever

    BoysFan4ever Well-Known Member

    6,192 Messages
    2,011 Likes Received
    I see your point but if you miss you don't get it you lose all hope of winning. Which is what happened.

    So at least give your team an opportunity to win in OT. You never know what could happen in OT. At least you have a chance.

    I guess that 's why they pay the coaches the big bucks.
  5. Red Dragon

    Red Dragon Well-Known Member

    4,309 Messages
    829 Likes Received
    I can understand the philosophy either way.


    I think that if the Wolverines went for the 2-point conversion (which they did,) their chances of winning the game outright would have been between 40-50%.

    Likewise, if the game had gone to overtime, perhaps their chances of winning the game outright were also 40-50%.


    A coach could be a hero either way, and could be blamed for a defeat either way as well.
    BoysFan4ever likes this.
  6. BoysFan4ever

    BoysFan4ever Well-Known Member

    6,192 Messages
    2,011 Likes Received
    Yep. I was kind of hoping Michigan would pull that out. I'm not a fan but for some reason Ohio State rubs me the wrong way.
  7. Sarge

    Sarge Happy Holidays Staff Member

    21,073 Messages
    1,935 Likes Received
    I personally would have kicked it but I can see why they went for 2.
  8. Aikbach

    Aikbach Well-Known Member

    9,722 Messages
    39 Likes Received
    If Michigan had been an outmatched team on the road it would've been appropriate but as a team perfectly capable of handling Ohio State and playing at home it was a needless gamble.
  9. joseephuss

    joseephuss Well-Known Member

    21,875 Messages
    1,478 Likes Received
    Those are my thoughts as well.
  10. jimmy40

    jimmy40 Well-Known Member

    15,199 Messages
    307 Likes Received
    did you guys not see Hoke coach the overtimes against Penn State? That guy should never play for overtime
  11. Rogah

    Rogah Well-Known Member

    3,838 Messages
    114 Likes Received
    When you are a heavy underdog, which Michigan was, and each team is pretty much moving the ball almost at will, then I think it is the right decision. Easy to criticize with 20/20 hindsight, but I like the call when you're a heavy underdog.
  12. joseephuss

    joseephuss Well-Known Member

    21,875 Messages
    1,478 Likes Received
    I was criticizing it as it happened. Thought it was a bad choice. A bad choice amplified by not at least using their last time out and taking their time to set things up.
    BoysFan4ever likes this.
  13. Rogah

    Rogah Well-Known Member

    3,838 Messages
    114 Likes Received
    Well, the playcall and how rushed everything was in a whole 'nother matter. But I have no problem with a heavy underdog playing for the win, either at home or on the road.

    Essentially the coach is saying he has more faith in his offense's ability to go 3 yards in 1 play than in his defense's ability to stop OSU in OT. I can't say I blame him there.
  14. jterrell

    jterrell Penguinite

    19,869 Messages
    1,471 Likes Received
    I would definitely go for 2.
    It was a 50 point game and the Michigan defense had done nothing to stop OSU.
    You've already played your best game all year so have nothing to lose.
    With both teams burning yards like no ones business and scoring at will 3 yards is not asking a lot at all.

    I would have liked a run/pass option there (see the play that scored late for Auburn's offense) but the inside routes had worked really all day.

    If you are Michigan that's what you wanted. A chance to win the game at the end.
  15. DallasCowboysRule!

    DallasCowboysRule! Well-Known Member

    1,671 Messages
    325 Likes Received
    I'm a Michigan fan and loved the call. Ohio St was gashing us all day in the run game. Had we gone into OT I give us about a snowball's chance in hell of pulling that game out. We had the opportunity to win right there and we took it. Unfortunately it just didn't happen but I still love the call.
  16. jimnabby

    jimnabby Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

    4,109 Messages
    869 Likes Received
    The goal is to win the game, not to delay losing as long as possible. If you think you have a 55% chance of making the two-pointer and only a 45% chance of winning in OT, you should go for two, even though you know you'll be second-guessed if it doesn't work.
  17. BoysFan4ever

    BoysFan4ever Well-Known Member

    6,192 Messages
    2,011 Likes Received
    Sorry. I still think it was the wrong call. I'd take my chance in overtime.

    But Michigan hasn't called me to coach them so it is what it is. They lost the game right there.
  18. WV Cowboy

    WV Cowboy Waitin' on the 6th

    11,129 Messages
    1,393 Likes Received
    You are three yards away from a huge upset, at home, .. with a chance to win it without the other team ever touching the ball.

    I loved the call, .. it just didn' work out.

    When they first lined up for the 2 pt conversion, I thought they were only faking just so OSU would burn their timeout which would minimize their chances of going back down with :35 and kicking a FG to win.

    OSU called timeout and I thought, "it worked!" Now kick it and go to OT.

    Then they came back out and lined up to go for two and I thought WOW.

    Several years ago our local high school was in the 4th OT of the State Championship game. The other team had already scored in the 4th Ot and was up 7. We scored in the 4th OT and were lining up to kick to tie the game, ... we had an All State kicker.

    We faked the kick and threw for the 2pt conversion, and won.

    Coach was a genius, .. but I have always thought if the play doesn't work (like Michigan), and you lose the State Championship game with an All State kicker on your sidelines, he would have been an idiot.

    Coaching is very fickle.

Share This Page