1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Would you trade Tony Romo for

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by HappyOnions, Jan 15, 2014.

1. HappyOnions

HappyOnions Datwin

958 Messages
    567 Likes Received
    Any of the QBs on the teams that did not make the playoffs this year?

Giants - Eli
    Steelers - Big Ben
    Ravens - Flacco
    Vikings - Christian Ponder/Matt Cassell
    Jets - Geno Smith/Mark Sanchez
    Bills - EJ Manuel
    Raiders - Terrell Pryor/Matt McGloin,
    Rams - Sam Bradford
    Cardinals - Carson Palmer
    Bears - Jay Cutler/Josh McCown
    Falcons - Matt Ryan
    Bucs - Mike Glennon
    Jaguars - Chad Henne
    Texans - Case Keenum/Matt Schaub
    Titans - Ryan Fitzpatrick/Jake Locker
    Browns - Brandon Weeden/Brian Hoyer
    Skins - Kirk Cousins/RGIII
    Dolphins - Ryan Tannehill
    Lions - Stafford

Some of these are an obvious no, but who knows...maybe someone out there has a reason that they would rather have someone over Romo considering youth, cap space, etc.

Matt Ryan has shown nothing to me that would make me think he could take this team any further than Romo. Same amount of playoff wins...with a plethora of offensive talent surrounding him.

Personally, I don't think Eli or Big Ben would be a significant improvement, although I'd take Big Ben over Eli if I had to make the choice. Bradford and Stafford's potential seem tempting, but their salaries are just as big as Romo albeit for not as long.

Kirk Cousins hasn't shown enough and RGIII is always one run away from a season ending injury.

Flacco and Cutler's contracts immediately make me say no, although Flacco's post-season record is quite impressive. Despite that, his contract would tie up way too much cap space.

For me, out of all those guys listed; I'd take either EJ Manuel or Geno Smith and here's why: It's a situation where you have everything to gain and nothing to lose. Both showed flashes of good play this year and both are young. EJ is much more or a checkdown guy as where Geno would just heave it in the air hoping for the best. If they pan out, then great! If not, and the Cowboys aren't financially obligated to stay with either one seeing as their contracts are pretty light.

Or, you could just grab Brandon Weeden and tank the season in hopes for Winston or Mariotta in next year's draft.

Just food for thought.
  2. TTexasTT

TTexasTT Well-Known Member

1,926 Messages
    737 Likes Received
    No. None of those.
  3. tm1119

tm1119 Well-Known Member

3,089 Messages
    663 Likes Received
    RG3, Ryan, and Stafford. I'm not just going to ignore the age factor. If just for 1 year I would probably just take Stafford.
  4. rags747

rags747 Well-Known Member

1,127 Messages
    161 Likes Received
    Eli is a mutt compared to Romo. Yeah Yeah 2SB rings all compliments to his defense. Only guy on that list that I would consider is Manziel...Oh sorry, I mean Stafford.
    Clove likes this.
  5. TTexasTT

TTexasTT Well-Known Member

1,926 Messages
    737 Likes Received
    Taking age and abuse factors and potential for long term success

I dont see any Id take on that list.
    Just Luck, Newton and Rogers
    bleedin' blue likes this.
  6. BoysFan4ever

BoysFan4ever Well-Known Member

6,203 Messages
    2,013 Likes Received
    Depends on his back!
  7. theSHOW

theSHOW Benched

3,490 Messages
    1,146 Likes Received
    Did you really list Geno Smith. lolllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll
  8. HappyOnions

HappyOnions Datwin

958 Messages
    567 Likes Received
    It's difficult to say with Stafford, considering he's good enough to probably get this team back to 8-8...but there's the problem...he's TOO good for this team meaning that they won't invest in other areas of need.
  9. HappyOnions

HappyOnions Datwin

958 Messages
    567 Likes Received
    Out of all the QBs listed...you lol at Geno Smith?

Geno Smith can make plays with his feet...he had some horrific games this season, but as I said...his potential outweighs his contract. If he tanks and goes 5-11, then we can move on, as well as have the extra cap space needed to improve the rest of the team so we don't need a QB who has to do everything on his own.
  10. tko112204

tko112204 Active Member

597 Messages
    43 Likes Received
    Then let's trade him for a pick. I'm not gonna trade him for Geno Smith. A guy with a 12/21 TD:INT ratio and who completed 56% of his passes last year.

That guy can't play in the league, and it didn't take that long to figure out. At least Manuel didn't PROVE he can't play. Smith did. IMO.
    pancakeman likes this.
  11. HappyOnions

HappyOnions Datwin

958 Messages
    567 Likes Received
    Fair enough, but a pick wasn't an option (in my hypothetical question). I'm just trying to figure out how much people around here truly value Romo and if they really believe, with this team, with this coach, with this GM that he can get the Cowboys to a championship.
  12. Aven8

Aven8 Well-Known Member

4,415 Messages
    1,022 Likes Received
    I might take Big Ben. Dude is a beast. He's had his off the field issues, but he is good.
  13. xvendettax914

xvendettax914 Well-Known Member

322 Messages
    336 Likes Received
    I can NOT believe the stafford love this is getting. Seriously?
    locked&loaded likes this.
  14. GloryDaysRBack

GloryDaysRBack Well-Known Member

9,468 Messages
    838 Likes Received
    This whole post stinks lol
  15. GloryDaysRBack

9,468 Messages
    838 Likes Received
    Lolol. No
  16. GloryDaysRBack

9,468 Messages
    838 Likes Received
    Maybe Jerry isn't the worst case scenario. Holy moly
  17. Lonestar94

Lonestar94 Well-Known Member

3,523 Messages
    724 Likes Received
    The only one I might trade for is Matt Ryan. But for some reason I think he's hit his peak.

Big Ben is over the hump.
  18. Bwareinrings94

Bwareinrings94 Active Member

573 Messages
    158 Likes Received
    RG3 easily. My first instinct was Ryan but that is a tough one and I would say no to him. The others belong in my toilet. FWIW, Geno Smith is a butt fumble from being Sanchez 2.0.
  19. PA Cowboy Fan

PA Cowboy Fan Well-Known Member

1,907 Messages
    1,333 Likes Received
    Big Ben would be the only one and I don't want him as a Cowboy. I can name other qbs that I would trade him for though.
    BigStar likes this.
  20. ShiningStar

ShiningStar Well-Known Member

6,389 Messages
    578 Likes Received
    Thats not fair to Romo, Romos youth has been wasted by bad management decisions. A good qb who has done everything asked of him and more and than people wait til hes older and hurt than ask fans to see if they would trade for a younger Qb. Some who havent even accomplished what Romo has and two who has been complimented by wonder defenses. My have we sunk.