1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Wounded Soldier Forced to Sleep in Car After Hotel Denies Him a Room

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by zrinkill, Sep 5, 2008.

1. zrinkill

zrinkill Diamond surrounded by trash

32,995 Messages
    719 Likes Received
    A wounded British soldier home from Afghanistan on sick leave was forced to spend the night in his car after a hotel refused him a room.

Corporal Tomos Stringer was told by staff at Metro Hotel, in Woking, that it was company policy not to accept members of the armed forces as guests. The 24-year-old had traveled to the Surrey town to help with funeral preparations for a friend killed in action.

It was so late that Cpl Stringer, who had broken his wrist jumping off an Army truck as it was attacked, had no choice but to sleep in his tiny, two-door car, arm covered in plaster.

Cpl Stringer, of 13 Air Assault Support Regiment, The Royal Logistic Corps, has now returned to Afghanistan, but his mother, Gaynor Stringer, from Criccieth, north Wales, told The Times that she is still furious about the incident.

“I’m very, very angry. It’s discrimination. They would never get away with it if it was against someone of ethnic origin,” she said.

She said they had received neither an apology nor an explanation from the hotel, which is part of a family entertainment center called The Big Apple and owned by a company called American Amusements.

"In America, they treat soldiers as heroes,” said Stringer, whose son joined the Army when he was 16 and has done multiple tours of duty in Iraq, Northern Ireland and Afghanistan.

The incident has prompted widespread condemnation from senior members of the Government, MPs, servicemen and their supporters.

Legions of army men and enthusiasts are rising up in the forums of the unofficial British Army Web site to call for a boycott of the hotel.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article4674411.ece

I wish that bolded part was always true.

2. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

118,745 Messages
    2,425 Likes Received
    What the hell kind of "company policy" is that?
  3. zrinkill

zrinkill Diamond surrounded by trash

32,995 Messages
    719 Likes Received
    The kind that puts you out of business.
  4. Hostile

118,745 Messages
    2,425 Likes Received
    I hope it does.
  5. ninja

ninja Numbnuts

5,722 Messages
    635 Likes Received
    If the Democrats here in the US could get away with doing that, they would. No doubt.
  6. Heisenberg

Heisenberg Pow! Pow!

8,910 Messages
    199 Likes Received
    It's stuff like this that makes it not worth bothering. I kinda miss not giving a crap.
  7. masomenos

masomenos Less is more

5,971 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Wow...
  8. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,623 Messages
    1,570 Likes Received
    Oh come on libs. show some honesty. Look at all the anti ROTC and other garbage in places like San Francisco. If you think some libs would not try that here if they thought they could get away with it you are total fools.
  9. masomenos

masomenos Less is more

5,971 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Show some sense and back away from your partisan stance and realize that it's not one party that loves the country nor is it one party that respects and honors the service of our troops.

Saying that some libs would try that here is no different than saying that if they had the chance some conservatives would go back to segregation. It's a gross generalization and it makes you come across as ignorant.
  10. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,623 Messages
    1,570 Likes Received
    No you come across as frankly out to lunch. With the many statements by Libs against the military over the years, you try and deny that they would do this if they could and you frankly are a joke.
  11. sacase

sacase Well-Known Member

4,278 Messages
    68 Likes Received
    You are so right burm, hell look at what the libs tried to do in Berkley with the Marines.
  12. Cajuncowboy

Cajuncowboy Preacher From The Black Lagoon

27,476 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    He didn't say Dems. He said Libs.

If you are associating the extreme left with your party, that's very telling as to who really runs the Dem party then.
  13. masomenos

masomenos Less is more

5,971 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    He did say Libs. And what's the general voting line for liberals? And conservatives? The poilitical ideologies fall in line nicely with voting trends. I'm unaffiliated by the way and voted Republican in the last election, so it's not "my party". The Democratic party does have members of the extreme left, just as the Republican party has members of the extreme right.
  14. Cajuncowboy

Cajuncowboy Preacher From The Black Lagoon

27,476 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    But he said Libs, not Dems. IF you are associating the extreme left with the Dems then once again, that's very telling. As for the extreme right, they may be more along the lines of a third party because many of them feel they are not at all represented in the Republican party.
  15. masomenos

masomenos Less is more

5,971 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    But it doesn't matter where I associate them, it matters where they associate themselves. I mean, I see the argument you're making and it's true that a lot of people on the far right or the far left don't believe they're represented properly by either party. There are members of those groups who do still align themselves with a party, guys like Ron Paul who, while a libertarian and to the far right is still registered as a republican.
  16. Hostile

118,745 Messages
    2,425 Likes Received
    I don't agree with that at all. During Viet Nam the President was a Democrat and war protestors still existed.

Democrats are still capitalists and patriots.

The owner of that hotel in England is just a fool.
  17. bbgun

bbgun Benched

27,870 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    US-owned company. UGH. They got some splainin' to do.
  18. Hostile

118,745 Messages
    2,425 Likes Received
    The post that started the discussion said Democrats, not Liberals.
  19. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

34,804 Messages
    1,698 Likes Received
    I'll tell you one thing. If this really is an American Financed opperation, support for this better dry up immediatly or policy better damn well change RFN.

This would be a disaster here in the States. I'm shocked that this could have even happened.
  20. JBond

JBond Well-Known Member

6,726 Messages
    36 Likes Received
    You missed the mark on that one. Now if we are taking about free speech you would be on to something.