1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Wow. Again.

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by vta, May 14, 2008.

1. vta

vta The Proletariat

8,741 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    I know it's not national news, but jeez, stumbling upon something like this is as nutty as the guy's explaination...

By CHRISTIAN BOONE
    The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
    Published on: 05/13/08
    Marietta bar owner Mike Norman says the T-shirts he's peddling, featuring a look-a-like of cartoon chimp Curious George peeling a banana, with "Obama in '08" underneath, are not meant to offend.

Norman acknowledged the imagery's Jim Crow roots but said he sees nothing wrong with depicting a prominent African-American as a monkey,

"We're not living in the (19)40's," he said. "Look at him . . . the hairline, the ears — he looks just like Curious George."

About a dozen prostestors rallied against the shirts Tuesday afternoon, condemning them as racist and asking Norman, longtime proprietor of Mulligan's Bar and Grill on Roswell Street, to stop selling them.

Marietta native Pam Lindley, 47, joined the protest after reading about the controversy online...

More at the Link
  2. trickblue

trickblue Old Testament... Zone Supporter

28,652 Messages
    81 Likes Received
    It's been done...

[IMG]
  3. vta

vta The Proletariat

8,741 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    We-ell.
    It is a bit different in the context of calling a black guy a chimp.

That middle Chimp is cracking me up though.
  4. Maikeru-sama

Maikeru-sama Mick Green 58

14,547 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I wouldn't be suprised to see more of these "race based" tactics once the focus shifts to the National Election.
  5. trickblue

28,652 Messages
    81 Likes Received
    I think you'll definitely see an escalation... some legitimate and some spurred on by the media to sway voter opinion...
  6. Maikeru-sama

14,547 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    No doubt.

Some of the claims will be legitamate, but folks like Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton and individuals in Obama's own camp will be looking to exploit the situation.
  7. trickblue

28,652 Messages
    81 Likes Received
    I'm afraid this election process is going to be very divisive for this country if race is made a focal point...

The MSM has a big responsibility not to fuel the fire any more than they already do... in fact... STOP fueling the fire...
  8. Hostile

Hostile Peace Zone Supporter

118,043 Messages
    870 Likes Received
    Yep, and I for one am going to be pissed about it.
  9. Rackat

Rackat Active Member

2,134 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Which, I believe, will add to the divisiveness of the the election. Jackson and Sharpton are two peas in a pod, and tbh, I don't lend them much credence because - as you so aptly pointed out - they are there to exploit, not help. Their entire schtick is playing the race card........over........and over..........and over again. Sometimes criticism has nothing to do with race and everything to do with the person being criticised.
  10. vta

vta The Proletariat

8,741 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    The best thing that can happen then is for Obama to alienate them.
    I honestly don't what, if any relationship he may have with them at the moment, but he doesn't need polarizing figures in a campaign based on change and unity.
  11. Maikeru-sama

14,547 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    True, but if the other camps use tactics such as the "Black love child" as seen in South Carolina 4 years ago against McCain and "Call me", observed in the Harold Ford Senate campaign, it could possibly play in his favor.

Furthermore, the worst thing for Obama would be for Al, Jesse and Jeremiah to be the focus of the media.

Becoming president of the United States is an extremely big deal and certain individuals on both sides will stop at nothing to obtain this position and therefore this campaign is going to be extremely interesting in regards to how it plays out and tactics being used.

I have already gone on record here stating that McCain will win and I don't think it will be close, but as I stated, the way it plays out will be interesting.
  12. Rackat

Rackat Active Member

2,134 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I would like to see everyone alienate those two, along with Jeremiah Wright. They, imo, actually hurt race relations and keep them from moving forward. I don't like Obama the politician because of his political views, but I have no dislike of the man otherwise.
  13. Rackat

Rackat Active Member

2,134 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    It could play in his favor. If they pull that crap then they deserve whatever they get in return.
  14. trickblue

28,652 Messages
    81 Likes Received
    Exactly, but he will not be able to control them. Al and Jesse would love to have a major influence on the new president and would use the "I worked in the trenches for you" to get his ear...

I don't think being black will hurt Obama much. Probably about as much as McCain's age. I think he likely would lose for other reasons if he does. Al and Jesse being black and running their mouths, WOULD hurt him...

Guilt by association has brought many a candidate down over the years, valid or not...
  15. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

20,156 Messages
    802 Likes Received
    Sad-but-true.
  16. Cajuncowboy

Cajuncowboy Preacher From The Black Lagoon

27,478 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I'm all for free enterprise....

But this guy is an idiot.
  17. irvin88

irvin88 Active Member

1,668 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Marietta tavern owner Mike Norman says the T-shirts he's peddling, featuring cartoon chimp Curious George peeling a banana, with "Obama in '08" scrolled underneath, are "cute." But to a coalition of critics, the shirts are an insulting exploitation of racial stereotypes from generations past.
    "It's time to put an end to this," said Rich Pellegrino, a Mableton resident and director of the Cobb-Cherokee Immigrant Alliance. He was among about 15 people who protested outside Mulligan's Bar and Grill Tuesday afternoon against the sale of the "racist and highly offensive" shirts.
    Whatever residents think of the signs, organized opposition to his blunt commentaries -- ongoing for 16 years -- had been nonexistent. No longer, says Pellegrino, who, though familiar with Norman's politics, said he was still surprised by the stark imagery of the Obama T-shirts.

"There's a lot of people hurt by this," he said.

Norman said those offended are "hunting for a reason to be mad" and insisted he is "not a racist."

Norman said he sees nothing wrong with depicting Obama as Curious George. "Look at him . . . the hairline, the ears, he looks just like Curious George," Norman said. He said he did not design the shirts himself but bought them through a Web site.
    "Mulligan's is promoting and selling racially offensive T-shirts, and Marietta and Cobb County residents and taxpayers abhor and cannot condone, any longer, this type of divisive and incendiary behavior in our community," said Jerry Gonzalez, executive director of GALEO.
  18. Danny White

Danny White Winter is Coming

12,344 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    [IMG] [IMG]

Eh, I really don't see it.

They both have nice smiles, but that's about it.

I saw a lot more similarity in the Bush pics.