1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Wow, just watched RG3 highlights vs. Giants....

Discussion in 'NFL Zone' started by newlander, Oct 21, 2012.

1. tomson75

tomson75 Brain Dead Shill

16,714 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    They haven't ...but for most casual fans...nature of the beast.
  2. jobberone

jobberone Right turn Clyde Staff Member

39,106 Messages
    4,576 Likes Received
    Name a non-pocket passer in the HOF.

Running QBs often get hurt. They are a special problem to deal with esp if they can throw in the pocket well. But they haven't done that well yet. I think eventually one will come along and this kid could be the real deal. We'll see.
  3. DallasCowpoke

DallasCowpoke Fierce Allegiance

5,431 Messages
    194 Likes Received
    Ohhh, that's such negative thinking.

~cough, cough~Julies Jones~cough, cough~ ~cough, cough~Felix Jones~cough, cough~

:p:
  4. SilverStarCowboy

SilverStarCowboy The Actualist

7,505 Messages
    409 Likes Received

He's a pocket QB that can run, a better talant overall that Cam. The poise the guy shows is unreal. Not gonna be a player hater, RG3 is the real deal, so be glad Dallas revamped the Defensive Backfield to compete.
  5. AmishGangsta

AmishGangsta Member

710 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    The thing about Griffin that some don't understand (or haven't realized yet), is that he is not just a typical running QB.

He has an arm, and throws the ball with Aaron Rodgers like accuracy.
    That pass he had today to Hankerson on the sidelines, would have been intercepted if it wasn't perfect. He puts the ball right on the money, even when he's scrambling.

I'm starting to wonder if the Skins should put Griffin on the defense. Use him as a corner. The Skins can compete with anyone (as long as Griffin is healthy), but they won't contend until they fix their defense. I think they not only need corners/safeties etc... I think they need to find a good Defensive coordinator. Haslett seems to always be one step behind the opposing offenses.
  6. Arch Stanton

Arch Stanton it was the grave marked unknown right beside

6,475 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Hopefully he becomes Flacco....

Adam Schefter
    Joe Flacco’s Total QBR, a metric that accounts for everything a QB does, was 0.3 on the 0-100 scale, the lowest rating for any QB since 2008
  7. BAZ

BAZ Drunken Mick

2,770 Messages
    606 Likes Received
    That has to be a joke.
  8. Hook'em#11

Hook'em#11 Well-Known Member

2,770 Messages
    278 Likes Received
    RG III...Bleh..

He lost. The deadskins lost. Cowboys won. Great day yesterday.
  9. Blast From The Past

Blast From The Past Active Member

908 Messages
    45 Likes Received
    Cam looks like a head case waiting to go postal...lol RG III is playing great now but after DC's get a book on him then we'll see how he does.
  10. rickjameschinaclub

rickjameschinaclub Benched

1,222 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    RG3 isn't just a running QB. He can stand in the pocket and make throws. Further, he's a world-class hurdler and runner, with intelligence. They didn't have their best WR in Garcon and Fred Davis also got hurt and he still played well.

And Shanny, once again, is using him correctly, coupled with the fact that, people who aren't watching the Redskins don't understand, is Alfred Morris is providing a excellent complement to RG3. Alfred Morris is already ahead of Terrell Davis in terms of production in his first 90 carries.

I just don't get it... The Cowboys right now are looking absolutely pathetic on offense right now and can't put the ball in the end-zone and the Redskins are putting the ball in the end-zone and are one of the top ten teams in this regard. JG's slide into total crapitude continues with his inability to get his offense to score in the red-zone.

We should be worried, if not for RG3, for the fact that we aren't making progress offensively even against the most pitiful of teams.
  11. Mash

Mash Active Member

4,062 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    RG3 will be a pain for us for the next decade.

The Skins found their franchise QB IMHO

Im impressed .....hate to see the Skins find a QB like this....
  12. slaga

slaga Member

214 Messages
    4 Likes Received
  13. SkinsFan82

SkinsFan82 Member

286 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap10...on-rg3-thats-the-best-quarterback-weve-played

"That guy is flat-out unbelievable," Osi Umenyiora said after the New York Giants' win over the Washington Redskins. "I'm not even going to lie. That's the best quarterback we've played this year."

The Giants have played Michael Vick, Tony Romo, Alex Smith and Cam Newton this season. We wouldn't take any of them over Griffin, and we're not talking about in the future. That's obvious. We're talking about this week.

"We get to get out of here," Umenyiora said, via the Newark Star-Ledger. "We escaped, that's what happened. We escaped with that one."
  14. Shunpike

Shunpike Active Member

785 Messages
    219 Likes Received
    This guy is legit.

I am not a fan of mobile QB's.

But putting RG3 in the same class with Vick and Newton is unfair to him

He scared me and tons of Giants fans big time yesterday

I wish he didn't end up in NFC East but the future belongs to RG3 unfortunately.
  15. Yakuza Rich

Yakuza Rich Well-Known Member

12,382 Messages
    1,405 Likes Received
    I think defenses need to get about a year of film on him and then they'll figure out how to defend against him, ala Cam Newton.

To me, the key is stop allowing RG3 to freeze the defense. Have the DE's get backside responsibility to protect against Morris' cutbacks and RG3 rolling out. The rest of the front seven needs to stop worrying if RG3 will run. If he does, sooner or later he will take too many big hits and that will prevent him from wanting to run again. Or it will get him knocked out of the game like it did against Atlanta.

Kyle Shanahan clearly protected RG3 in the Giants game by having him throw it very little and instead using Morris. I think if a team can stop Morris and take away the WR screens, he'll struggle like rookie QB's will struggle.

YR
  16. SkinsHokieFan

SkinsHokieFan Well-Known Member

2,253 Messages
    45 Likes Received
    Don't defenses already have "film" on spread offenses?

The reason this works is RG3 is incredibly accurate in the midrange game and is throwing to multiple targets. Cam last year was throwing up top to Steve Smith
  17. Yakuza Rich

Yakuza Rich Well-Known Member

12,382 Messages
    1,405 Likes Received
    Having film on spread offenses in general is one thing. Particularly when its collegiate film. Understanding how the Redskins run it, their tendencies, strengths and weaknesses is completely different.

Romo was a far more explosive passer of the ball when he started in 2006 than RG3 is right now. But the offensive scheme Dallas was using was nothing really new in the NFL and it took about a year before defenses really understood how to defend Romo. Then things got changed up as T.O. got healthy and we had a new O-Coordinator in Garrett. Then eventually defenses started to figure out how to defend Romo. Thinking RG3 will be any different is foolish.

It happens just about every year as well. Some NFL team adds some collegiate style offense wrinkles into their offense and it works initialy. Then it fails miserably. It wasn't too long ago where EVERY team was looking for a player that could run the Wildcat which was all the rage. And in roughly 3 years it became virtually extinct.

YR
  18. RastaRocket

RastaRocket Sanka, Ya Dead Mon? Ya Mon.

5,976 Messages
    472 Likes Received
    Yep, and we beat the giants but from reading this board you'd think that was years ago.
  19. SkinsHokieFan

SkinsHokieFan Well-Known Member

2,253 Messages
    45 Likes Received
    Have NFL teams figured out Rodgers/Brady/Brees/the Mannings?

The big thing that RG3 has over previous "collegeiate offenses" (even though bellichieck has added those elements to his offense in NE) is the ability to throw accurately in the intermediate range

I could be wrong, but he has a very unique skill set which is also suited very well for playing in the pocket. The traditional Shanahan scheme is a great fit for him (the bootleg game) and I expect you'll see him thrive in the ZBS/boot scheme, but having the pistol/option elements will be a wrinkle that'll keep defenses off balance.

Smartfootball had a great blog post about this in September, RG3 has the ability to read the defense post snap and change the play to run/pass after the ball is snapped. I am excited to see how that evolves.

And lets just wait until he has the book on NFL defenses and actually adjusts to NFL speed. He is a rookie after all :)
  20. tomson75

tomson75 Brain Dead Shill

16,714 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    That's a fair point, but I don't think anyone is suggesting he won't get better. I don't think anyone is suggesting he's going to suck, either.

I think the redskins have managed to force defenses to adapt to their offensive gameplan (in part because RG3 is good) rather than letting RG3 try to adapt to opposing team's defenses. Which, to me, suggests that there will be some measure of learning in the near future by your opponents, that will be necessary to compensate for his unique skill set.

There have been countless players coming out of college with tremendous skills, many even having successful rookie and sophomore seasons....that eventually just didn't pan out. So yeah, the hype on this guy is just that, hype. Weather or not the hype is warranted will be something to unfold over the course of the next few seasons.

My money is on a very good, albeit short, career. I don't see him terrifying opposing fan bases for "decades"...as some would have us believe.