1. CowboysZone Upgrade Coming Soon! For more information, click here.

Twitter: WR Coach Dooley talks Eric Rogers, Terrance Williams...other tidbits

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Jul 26, 2013.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Everything is everything... Staff Member

69,319 Messages
    9,981 Likes Received
    Brandon George ‏@dmn_george 6m
    New Cowboys WRs coach Derek Dooley said he's been impressed with undrafted rookie Eric Rogers so far, but he has to be consistent every day.

Dooley said the hardest adjustment for college WRs turning pro is getting off of press coverage and man coverage at the NFL level.

Dooley said that former Baylor WR Terrance Williams has been getting better, particularly in his route running, which needed improvement.

-------------
    tidbits:

mike fisher ‏@fishsports 6m
    Keyshawn Johnson, a SoCal resident, rolls into Camp #Cowboys

Jon Machota ‏@jonmachota 5m
    Matt Johnson said he had a cramp, tightness in his hamstring during the first couple days of camp. Has been fine since. "I feel good."

Bruce Carter needed to improve flexibility in offseason. Did hot yoga. "I started out doing 30 min. I couldn't do an hour. It was terrible."

Bruce Carter: LBs are taught all 3 positions. If Sean Lee went down, Carter said he could play MLB. "I dont think it would be tough at all."

Tim MacMahon ‏@espn_macmahon 27s
    DB coach Jerome Henderson raved about rookie S JJ Wilcox. On Matt Johnson: Solid, detailed, but "I think he’s got to show up more."

Nick Eatman ‏@nickeatman 5m
    SportsCenter at training camp today pic.twitter.com/Ek3TGPgCIq
    [IMG]
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2013
  2. DBOY3141

DBOY3141 Well-Known Member

4,399 Messages
    1,140 Likes Received
    With Key in town, I'm sure Justin Beiber is no where to be found.
    Section444 likes this.
  3. Deep_Freeze

Deep_Freeze Well-Known Member

6,728 Messages
    184 Likes Received
    We seem to keep hearing Matt isn't really flashing as far as making plays, gotta wonder if they say this cause he has JJ beside him making flashes so any flashes Matt has don't compare cause he's not going all Bill Bates like JJ is doing.

Guess I'm wondering if Matt is holding back like your supposed to do this time of year in order to not hurt someone on your own team, and would he look better against real competition.
  4. WoodysGirl

69,319 Messages
    9,981 Likes Received
    Or he's just real rusty... or JJ is just playing that much better, even w/o the BB comparisons.
    *shrug*
  5. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

22,618 Messages
    2,364 Likes Received
    I believe the media was saying he did well the first day and then the cramps started bothering him. So hopefully the day off will give him a little more time to shake that stuff off.
  6. speedkilz88

22,618 Messages
    2,364 Likes Received
    I hope there is going to be an article on the Dooley interview.
  7. rkell87

rkell87 Well-Known Member

7,375 Messages
    133 Likes Received
    I haven't been this interested in watching the second team in preseason in a long time. Wanna see how jj and johnson look next to each other, wanna see hanna and escobar in the 12 with randle and dunbar rotating and I wanna see williams, beasley, and harris in 3 wide sets and see who makes the plays
  8. Deep_Freeze

Deep_Freeze Well-Known Member

6,728 Messages
    184 Likes Received
    Yeah, its nice to hear JJ is doing well, but we need Matt to do well also as we really don't have alot of depth at safety. Matt really seemed to be a hitter from the clip his mom probably took of him, I can see a guy holding back against his own teammates.

Cramps and JJ just plain playing better also contributes of course, and since we really haven't invested alot in the position, we really need to hit the lottery here with a couple of guys.
  9. Staubacher

Staubacher Well-Known Member

3,706 Messages
    4,274 Likes Received
    I think JJ is just that special. I think we struck gold there. Johnson still has potential too so hopefully he'll progress. But Wilcox is gonna blow up
    AsthmaField likes this.
  10. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

18,999 Messages
    9,544 Likes Received
    Wilcox was my favorite draft pick in terms of upside. He was better in the coverage drills at the Senior Bowl practices than some CBs including Webb. He was impressive covering WRs and those drills favor the receiver.

I think that Allen will be the starter along with Church at the beginning of the season. Allen is only player on the defense with experience in Kiffin's scheme.

I expect Wilcox to be a starter next year if not sooner.
  11. rocyaice

rocyaice Well-Known Member

8,044 Messages
    1,575 Likes Received
    With the way they've been talking about him I don't see why he's not the starter now. Everyone behind him has no experience or just as much as him and he's the one getting rave reviews.
  12. Frozen700

Frozen700 Well-Known Member

13,975 Messages
    1,546 Likes Received
    Tired of hearing about Will Allen possibly starting. I can't take another Elam, or McCray part 2.

Just let the young guy play
    ITSEL33 likes this.
  13. EPL0c0

EPL0c0 The Funcooker

5,148 Messages
    354 Likes Received
    I'm hoping that Matt Johnson ends up being one of these guys that may not flash greatness in practice/camp but has a knack for showing up on gameday.
  14. conner01

conner01 Well-Known Member

3,072 Messages
    452 Likes Received
    jj is just a football player. he has no experience at the position but he just makes plays. you can't teach instincts. he just seems to be a natural where ever you put him. gotta wonder what he can do when he actually learns how to play the position
  15. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

82,170 Messages
    5,859 Likes Received
    Thing is Allen is making plays if he continues to do that then I don't see the issue. It is after all about who is making plays right?
  16. AsthmaField

AsthmaField Outta bounds

13,013 Messages
    5,384 Likes Received
    I think we ended up with a special player there too. He is simply impressive. He impressed people at every stop: GA Southern, the senior bowl, the combine, pro day, and in Dallas.

I really think we stole one there.
  17. rags747

rags747 Well-Known Member

1,343 Messages
    289 Likes Received
    I say just get him in there as well, starting Allen is a step back.
  18. WoodysGirl

69,319 Messages
    9,981 Likes Received
    I agree. You don't hear a lot about Will Allen, but from the few tweets/observations I've seen, he's solidifying his position as the savvy mid-level vet we need to shore up the position.

Wilcox is a rookie and he's flying around and busting heads during practice. It's got to carryover in games. I think we'll all know a bit more when the preseason starts.
  19. speedkilz88

22,618 Messages
    2,364 Likes Received
  20. dmq

dmq If I'm so pretty, why am I available?

6,906 Messages
    272 Likes Received
    JJ Wilcox or Matt Johnson...... I realy don't care who starts. This is a win win for us.
    Idgit likes this.