1. Like to discuss POLITICS? Come join us at PUNNDITS.com!
    If you like discussing politics and other related topics then your new home (hopefully) for doing just that can be found on Punndits.com! Come join us and help us grow Punndits into a wonderful and safe place to discuss politics with everyone.
    Dismiss Notice

News: WR Laurent Robinson says he still wants to be a Cowboy, but it's now 'a business deci

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by cowboyjoe, Mar 13, 2012.

1. cowboyjoe

cowboyjoe Well-Known Member

28,174 Messages
    181 Likes Received
    Brandon George‏@dmn_georgeReply
    Retweet

Favorite
    · Open

Free agent WR Laurent Robinson says he still wants to be a Cowboy, but it's now 'a business decision': http://bit.ly/wxA92g

3m Dallas Cowboys news‏@dmn_cowboys
    Free agent WR Laurent Robinson says he still wants to be a Cowboy, but it's now 'a business decision': http://dallasne.ws/yueSMs

2. Murph80

Murph80 Member

974 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I would not break the bank for Robinson. Injury prone and Romo made him look awfully good. I like him but I would be very scared to invest to much into him.

3. fifaguy

fifaguy Well-Known Member

6,205 Messages
    1,712 Likes Received
    ^. We can't afford to pay him like a no1 receiver and woud be foolish to do so. It would be funny/typical if this was one of our only free agency moves. resign him to a huge overpaid deal haha. I sure hope not...

4. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

34,771 Messages
    4,081 Likes Received
    Why would the team pay him like a #1?

Why would any team?

5. Hoofbite

34,771 Messages
    4,081 Likes Received
    "Now"?

How is it any different from the last few months when Dallas couldn't even sign him until today.

"Now" seems to imply the Cowboys didn't do anything to reach out to him and talk contracts.

I want the guy back.

6. cowboyeric8

cowboyeric8 Chicks dig crutches

5,418 Messages
    241 Likes Received
    And if other rumors are true it may be Tebow throwing balsa to him, well maybe thrown in his area.

7. fifaguy

fifaguy Well-Known Member

6,205 Messages
    1,712 Likes Received
    Because he had 11 tds this season, and turned some heads this year as far as his ability. And there are other teams out there with virtually no wrs that are looking at him as a number 1 receiver.

8. johnny utah

johnny utah Guest

What a sell out. Without Romo his carrer will go up in smoke.

9. cowboy_ron

cowboy_ron You Can't Fix Stupid

4,310 Messages
    396 Likes Received
    I think he would like to stay...providing he gets a big contract...I see him leaving

10. Future

Future Intramural Legend

17,676 Messages
    2,763 Likes Received
    Absolutely.

Miles and Dez should get some of that credit as well, if only for the attention that they demand.

11. Cowboysfan570

Cowboysfan570 Well-Known Member

1,087 Messages
    63 Likes Received
    The guy has to know that a good part of the success he achieved last season was due to Romo's ability to improvise when plays break down. There aren't that many QBs in the league who can do that well and fewer still who play on the same team as 3 other receivers who can draw doubles.

I'm really doubtful he could come close to the sort of results that he got in Dallas if he signs elsewhere and I hope he keeps that in mind as I'd still love to have him.

12. stiletto

stiletto Active Member

861 Messages
    62 Likes Received
    Not one person on here would turn down MILLIONS of extra dollars if offered.

13. Galian Beast

Galian Beast Well-Known Member

12,408 Messages
    3,947 Likes Received
    He did well for us, but I don't want to break the bank for him. I think a competent 3rd receiver can really do a lot for us, given the talent of Bryant and Austin.

I would really like to see a slot type receiver. Dwayne Thomas could still be that guy, although most likely we'll have to draft another receiver.

14. Blue Eyed Devil

Blue Eyed Devil Active Member

474 Messages
    55 Likes Received
    If Robinson can find a team that wants to give him big money, take it. He's a good guy you deserves financial security.

Robinson doesn't owe Dallas anything. We didn't use any draft picks on him, invest any time in him, and we signed him to a super cheap contract. He more than held up his end of the bargain to us.

I don't begrudge a man like that wanting to make his payday.

15. LarryCanadian

LarryCanadian Well-Known Member

1,490 Messages
    40 Likes Received
    I'd pay him as an average #2 receiver, which he played like for most of the year, with injuries to Dez and Austin. In fact, at end of the season, I thought he deserved to start over Austin as Robinson was far more consistent.

BUT, I'm guessing he will get significantly higher offers from teams that have little to nothing at receiver already, as posted by others.

It will come down to Millions per season and he will do what most of us would do and take the better offer, even though all else being equal he'd rather stay here.

I really like him as our insurance blanket at WR though, as Dez and Austin aren't without weaknesses, and Witten might be slowing a bit.

LarryCanadian

16. johnny utah

johnny utah Guest

f that liar... Romo made him. he will see soon.

17. Fla Cowpoke

Fla Cowpoke Well-Known Member

4,978 Messages
    2,235 Likes Received
    You guys are ridiculous.

If Dallas can only offer him 2-3m while others can offer him 5m per year, there isn't a one of you that would take the lower money.

18. TheCoolFan

TheCoolFan Well-Known Member

8,197 Messages
    741 Likes Received
    Please sign elsewhere in a hurry so we can get to work on cheaper options at WR

19. Hoofbite

34,771 Messages
    4,081 Likes Received
    Teams sign players with expectations of what they can do for THEIR team, not what has been done on another.

Generally, production can be viewed to transfer but in this case Robinson has been the complete opposite outside of Dallas so it would be hard for any team to view his production potential on another team to be the same.

Throw in the fact that teams noted thus far have a QB much worse than Dallas and it would make little to no sense to spend big money on a guy who may have benefitted from the one in a million right place, right team type of situation.

20. RoyTheHammer

RoyTheHammer Well-Known Member

13,868 Messages
    766 Likes Received
    :facepalm: