1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Wright Talks about the Causes of the Disaster

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by Aliencowboy, Nov 9, 2010.

1. Aliencowboy

Aliencowboy Active Member

611 Messages
    98 Likes Received
  2. windjc

windjc Active Member

657 Messages
    76 Likes Received
    You don't draft Luck and trade Romo. You draft Luck and let him season under Romo for 3-4 years. Like Rodgers.

Just because you draft a #1 QB doesn't mean he needs to start right away. Smart teams groom there next great QB before their current one is on the way down hill.

QB is the 1st, 2nd and 3rd most important position on the team. Its so far more important than any other position that you could and should have 2 excellent QBs.

Take Luck if you can and then get the rest of your team with the rest of the draft.
  3. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,858 Messages
    1,698 Likes Received
    Stupid to draft luck. Just plain dumb when we have so many other holes.
  4. newlander

newlander Well-Known Member

8,205 Messages
    123 Likes Received
    .....threads like this are just BRUTAL. Romo isn't going anywhere. They checked with him before canning WAde. JJ is IN LOVE with Romo.
  5. windjc

windjc Active Member

657 Messages
    76 Likes Received
    Incorrect. If you scout Luck correctly and if he is a prospect along the lines of a Payton Manning then you take him. Not stupid at all. Jimmy Johnson "wasted" a #1 on Steve Walsh and won 2 Superbowls. Building the rest of the team doesn't come down to 1 pick. But getting an franchise QB of the future does.
  6. wileedog

wileedog Well-Known Member

10,176 Messages
    838 Likes Received
    That pick will be worth gold if a Rookie Cap is put in place. I would trade it for more 1sts and 2nds to rebuild our lines and worry about getting next year's superdy duper can't miss QB prospect. Its not like Romo is year to year at this point.
  7. DBOY3141

DBOY3141 Well-Known Member

3,273 Messages
    541 Likes Received
    If Luck has any sort of leadership skills you draft him, because Romo is not a leader.

This team needs leaders.

Brady = leader
    Manning = leader
    Brees = leader
    Rivers = leader
    Rodgers = leader

AIKMAN = LEADER

Romo = stats
  8. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,858 Messages
    1,698 Likes Received
    I swear we are getting dumber and dumber threads all the time.
  9. StylisticS

StylisticS Well-Known Member

8,553 Messages
    285 Likes Received
    :banghead:
  10. windjc

windjc Active Member

657 Messages
    76 Likes Received
    This is not a dumb thread. Drafting Luck does not have anything with "giving up" on Romo. Its about building a LONG term future at QB because without an ELITE QB you don't have a SB chance in this league.
  11. jobberone

jobberone Right turn Clyde Staff Member

39,103 Messages
    4,575 Likes Received
    If we have the number one pick and Luck comes out we will have a dilema especially if there is no rookie contract scale in place.
  12. Randy White

Randy White Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

6,116 Messages
    39 Likes Received
    He lost credibility with me when he wrote this:

The Logical Fit

Marcell Dareus, DE, Alabama
    A couple of years ago the Cowboys allowed Chris Canty to leave as a free agent and it appears as though they will do the same with Marcus Spears next offseason. Meanwhile, both of the top backups at defensive end, Jason Hatcher and Stephen Bowen, are relatively unproven and also due to hit the open market. Dareus could project to either defensive tackle or end in the NFL, depending on the style of defense. However, he actually plays the five-technique in the Crimson Tide’s 3-4 front, which happens to be the same scheme Dallas runs, so this would be a seamless transition.

The Value / Need Compromise

Prince Amukamara, CB, Nebraska
    On paper the Cowboys seem to be set at the cornerback position, but appearances can be misleading. In reality Terence Newman is already 32-years-old and there is no telling how much longer he’ll be able to play at a high level. Meanwhile the other starter, former first rounder Mike Jenkins, has taken a big step backwards this season and the top backup, Orlando Scandrick, only has one more year left on his contract. Amukamara is a potential shutdown corner and a legitimate Top 5-10 overall value. If they can’t land Peterson then Amukamara could be a nice consolation prize for their leaky secondary.

I'm a Nebraska fan. If the Cowboys end up with a top 10 pick and spend it on Amukamara, I will personally fly to Dallas, kidnap Jerry Jones, then drop him in the middle of Taliban country wearing nothing but an american flag and a pair of nike shoes, and the shoes only because I liked him.

Amukamara is a stiff, literally. He's about as fluid as a block of concrete 3 months after it's been poured. He's fast, he's big, and he's an " ok " tackler, but I wouldn't draft him with a top 20 pick, much less top 10. Michael Booker was a more fluid CB than he was, and that pick didn't turn out too well..

It would be a crime to turn Marcell Dareus into a 3-4 DE or NG, just like it's a crime what the Dullphins were doing with Jared Odrick before he got injured. They finally figured out towards the end taht they'd be better off going on 4-3 allignments when he's on the field, where Odrick was able to exploit his talents, but then he went down with an injury for good. Dareus could be a dominant DT in a 4-3 defense, where he could attack upfield and even roam from sideline to sideline, like some LBs, like he does in Alabama, and unlike they do in Dallas, contrary to what that guy is saying. Swtiching him to a 3-4 DE would take away his game and waste his talents.

I didn't even bother getting into the Luck part because it's a waste of time. Cowboys aren't trading Romo and they're not drafting Luck, period.
  13. CowboyMcCoy

CowboyMcCoy Business is a Boomin

12,749 Messages
    234 Likes Received
    yup...right again.:)
  14. Randy White

6,116 Messages
    39 Likes Received
    Darrnnn... I guess the Colts, Patriots, and Saints are runned by a bunch of dummies.
  15. Randy White

6,116 Messages
    39 Likes Received

You think Jimmy Johnson won 2 Superbowls because of Steve Walsh ? You think that wasting the pick that would have turned out to be Junior Seau on Steve Walsh was a smart move ?

Wow, that only victory over the Redskins in the '89 season was more important than I thought..:rolleyes:
  16. Randy White

6,116 Messages
    39 Likes Received
    It's like witnessing De-evolution. IT's just a matter of time before the smoke signals start to come out.
  17. morieeel

morieeel Member

433 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I'm a little confucious. He says the line is what drives the car yet he list a Cornerback that we would have to transfer to Safety, and another corner back along with a QB as our possibilities. IS the Olineman crop that bad this year??
  18. CanuckCowboysFan

CanuckCowboysFan Benched

2,023 Messages
    0 Likes Received

Prince has better technique then Peterson..............

He lost ALL credibility when he said draft Peterson and move him to safety.
  19. Displaced Cowboy

Displaced Cowboy Active Member

1,234 Messages
    14 Likes Received
    yes.

there isn't an OL worth taking in the top 15 let alone the top 5.

best bet to address the OL is the top of round 2.
  20. kevinhickey

kevinhickey Member

325 Messages
    20 Likes Received
    OK, lets just say you draft Luck. Can you imagine his face when he see nummerous defensive linemen running through the line after him. Folks we need atleast 3 new offensive linemen and have to sign Free. Trade down a few spots and add extra draft selections. Our team needs more than just a few tweeks to the roster.