1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

WRs for next season

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Bizwah, Aug 28, 2005.

1. Bizwah

Bizwah Well-Known Member

5,980 Messages
    214 Likes Received
    Reggie Wayne
    Brandon Stokley
    I think most agree that we will need an infusion of youth at WR for next year. I like what we have now (Key, Glenn, and Crayton), but we need a good, young WR.

Crayton is showing surprising ability. I have been very impressed with him. I think he may be able to develop into a reliable number two possession-type guy.

But we'll still need a big-play, number-one threat.

Here's a list of possible FA WRs available for next season. I stole this from another board, so I'm not exactly certain of the reliability.

Reche Caldwell
    Antonio Bryant
    Jerry Rice
    Ike Hilliard
    Josh Reed
    Deion Branch
    Doug Gabriel
    Kevin Johnson
    Jabar Gaffney
    Kelly Campbell
    Nate Burleson
    Hines Ward
    Antwan Randel El
    Isaac Bruce

Personally, I like Reggie Wayne. I'm not sure how good he will be away from Manning and Harrison.....he could be another Alvin Harper. Deion Branch certainly has hardware, but I don't really like his size.

The one that intruiges me most, is Doug Gabriel. Good size and speed. He'll get little playing time this season behind Moss, Porter, and Curry. He might be had on the cheap.
  2. stilltheguru

stilltheguru Well-Known Member

3,098 Messages
    146 Likes Received
    gabriel=morgan
  3. Sarge

Sarge Happy Holidays Staff Member

21,076 Messages
    1,936 Likes Received
    Wayne is easily the best of the group. He's going to come at a VERY high price though.

IMO, Wayne will push Harrison this year from a stats perspective.
  4. dallascowboysfan31

dallascowboysfan31 Member

720 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    ward, burleson, and reggie wayne are the only ones i'd take.
  5. stilltheguru

stilltheguru Well-Known Member

3,098 Messages
    146 Likes Received
    ward is almost 30 if hes not 30 yet.

thought you guys wanted young players?
  6. MadCow

MadCow Member

465 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    I'm a Wayne fan as well. Very likely possibility he will leave the Colts, especially if they decide to pay Edgerrin James in the offseason. He could supplant Morgan on the roster next year, moving either Key or T. Glenn to a backup position.
  7. LaTunaNostra

LaTunaNostra He Made the Difference

14,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Hines Ward. Didn't he just restructure or something?

He'd be the one I'd want if he didn't.
  8. Dallas

Dallas Old bulletproof tiger

11,514 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Hines Ward all day and twice on Sundays. :bow:
  9. Big Country

Big Country Rolling Thunder

3,716 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    why dont' we stick to college guys... we have 3 veteran WRs...

Reggie Wayne is going to want megabucks when that $$ could go to a top flight WR in the draft...

I would be concerned about Deion Branch and his size too, but he is still a playmaker... One thing to consider is he wont be catching passes from Tom Brady if he's playing in Dallas.
  10. Dallas

Dallas Old bulletproof tiger

11,514 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    He hasnt yet signed a contract w/ the Steelers. I do expect him to however. He did end his hold out to come back and play.
  11. devman90

devman90 The Master of Disaster

324 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    We should just draft one.....Santonio Holmes, OSU
  12. Bizwah

Bizwah Well-Known Member

5,980 Messages
    214 Likes Received
    I wouldn't mind drafting one....but this year isn't shaping up to be a strong WR draft. The best WRs are sophomores, and not draft eligible.

Holmes is one of the best of the bunch.....but if we have a good year, we won't be in position to draft him. I'm a little concerned with his size....isn't he like 5-10/5-11 185#?
  13. jbsg02

jbsg02 Active Member

1,719 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Holmes is kinda like Terry Glenn
  14. devman90

devman90 The Master of Disaster

324 Messages
    0 Likes Received
  15. LaTunaNostra

LaTunaNostra He Made the Difference

14,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Kinda a lot.

He's my next boy, but I doubt he's Bill's....the size issue has become too important the last ten years.

Tuna, when asked last year to give his opinion of the best receiver in the game, hedged and hemmed and hawed, then finally said Holt.

We also know he loves Hines Ward's blocking ,and he drafted a tough AND fast cookie in Coles. But Holt is more a game breaker.

Holt is the new proto-type, I think. Bill wants his 'giraffe' and 'gazelle' in one package now. Not two as he has in Key and Terry.

And that is Crayton's 'edge, imo...if he can cross the two genres.
  16. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

51,601 Messages
    5,513 Likes Received
    Not to change the subject, but I am more worried about our QB situation than our WR situation for next year.
  17. silverbear

silverbear Semi-Official Loose Cannon

24,188 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    If Holmes even comes out, he should be off the board long before the Cowboys pick... but here are two options that intrigue me:

Martin Nance, Miami-Ohio... very big (6-5, 216), but not strictly a possession receiver... he has good (not great) speed, and can get downfield... last year was a disaster for him on account of injury, but he had 90 catches, for a little under 1500 yards in 2003...

Todd Watkins, BYU... needs to add some bulk, but is over 6'3, and runs the 40 under 4.3 seconds...averaged over 20 yards per catch last season (52 catches, 1042 yards)...

Best of all, it's entirely possible that both of them will be drafted in the second round, in the 40-50 pick range... you wouldn't necessarily need to spend a first rounder on them... of course, this could change if either one put up a big senior season...
  18. Sarge

Sarge Happy Holidays Staff Member

21,076 Messages
    1,936 Likes Received
    How dare you change the subject.

:D
  19. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

51,601 Messages
    5,513 Likes Received
    I'm sorry. Be easy one me! :spanking:
  20. JBell523