1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

WWJD (What Will Jerry Do?)

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Picksix, Nov 15, 2013.

1. cowboys1981

cowboys1981 Well-Known Member

1,588 Messages
    656 Likes Received
    It can happen. I don't count the Giants out. You never know when that Dline is going to turn that switch on and begin to take over games like they have proven to have done so in the past.

If this happens, JJ will feel 10 times worse than he did after our loss to NO. He may never sleep again lol
    Picksix likes this.
  2. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

10,188 Messages
    3,013 Likes Received
    Garrett and Stephen Jones perform the GM duties. Jerry holds the title, talks to the media and is a tie-breaker on big decisions like the trade down in the 2013 draft.

IMO, Garrett is much better at reigning over the players, dealing with the media and those general types of Head Coaching duties than Wade. Wade let the players run the locker room which resulted in the entitlement attitude. The Ratliff ordeal is a leftover from Wade allowing players to develop attitudes. Garrett or any new HC generally has to just get rid of those players to remove the attitude from the locker room. The scuttlebutt is that Jerry wanted to keep Ratliff and give him a chance to try again next year but Garrett pushed Jerry to cut him. There's also talk that Jerry wanted to give Spencer a big contract but Stephen and Garrett convinced Jerry to only Franchise Spencer.

A lot of Garrett's value is in the things that didn't happen. There have been no trades for Roy Williams or Joey Galloway. There have been no signings of TO, Pacman, etc.. When Parcells was here, Jerry had to make some type of move to keep Parcells from getting all of the attention. That's how we ended up with TO and subsequently a bad locker room situation as soon as Parcells was not here to keep his foot on TO and those types.

I don't know if Garrett will ever win, but the HC that replaces him will inherit a much better situation than the one that Garrett inherited from Wade.

The bottom line is that you have to hope for the HC with the best chance of winning while working for Jerry. I'm sure there are many Head Coaching candidates that would be better than Garrett if they worked for an owner that had no involvement in the football operations; however, most of them wouldn't be a better choice for the Cowboys. An overbearing HC like Parcells will just cause Jerry to need attention and make some move out of left field like the TO signing. A complete puppet like Wade will offer no resistance to Jerry and will not control the locker room.

In addition to the locker room attitude that Garrett had to expunge, he was also hamstrung by the salary cap. He had to deal with dead-money from many overpaid players like Leonard Davis, Roy Williams, Marion Barber, Gurode, etc.. The only wacky contract issue that I can think of since Garrett became the HC is the redo of Ratliff's deal. Even that deal is not as extreme as it seems. He already had significant guaranteed money under his previous deal. If I recall correctly, Ratliff had 10M guaranteed over a 2 year period and the new contract gave him 18M guaranteed but over a longer period of time.

If Garrett stays, then this coming off-season will be a good indicator of how much influence Garrett and Stephen Jones have on the GM side. If Spencer gets a big new contract, then you'll know that Jerry has overruled them. If they cut Austin you'll know that Garrett/Stephen are making the decisions. If they cut the declining DWare and his 12.25M base salary for 2014, you'll definitely know that Jerry has taken a step back and let Garrett/Stephen make football choices over emotional/marketing choices.
    cowboys1981 likes this.
  3. cowboys1981

cowboys1981 Well-Known Member

1,588 Messages
    656 Likes Received
    Well said!
  4. Picksix

Picksix A Work in Progress

4,606 Messages
    631 Likes Received
    It's my contention that Garrett may never be that great of a coach from an X's and O's standpoint, but he'll eventually make a great GM.
  5. Dracula

Dracula New Member

2 Messages
    0 Likes Received
  6. Beast_from_East

Beast_from_East Well-Known Member

14,230 Messages
    1,971 Likes Received
    Yea..............the most likely scenario is we lose the division to the Eagles if we lose it to anybody. They have the easiest schedule of all the remaining NFC East teams and Foles has been on fire.
  7. Beast_from_East

14,230 Messages
    1,971 Likes Received
    Everything that you just attributed to Garrett would be considered GM duties (which players to sign, which players to release, when to use the franchise tag, ect.......)

I seriously think Garrett would be a lot better GM than head coach...............game day Xs and Os, how to take advantage of mismatches, halftime adjustments, clock management...........He totally sucks at all of this.
  8. Picksix

Picksix A Work in Progress

4,606 Messages
    631 Likes Received
    I wonder if this is part of the overall plan. JJ keeps Garrett around as coach for however long as he feels he needs to. Then eventually (perhaps after he hands the reigns to Stephen), Garrett gets moved into the FO.
  9. Beast_from_East

14,230 Messages
    1,971 Likes Received
    Lets all pray this happens.....................as long as he remains head coach, we are not winning jack.
  10. dcstands4

dcstands4 Active Member

648 Messages
    98 Likes Received
    Rename the field at AT&T Stadium Jones field because he misses the term Jerry world. Draft Jadavion Clowey in the first round by trading up and offering Tyron Smith and a 2nd. No coaching changes made but Monte retires.
  11. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

10,188 Messages
    3,013 Likes Received
    Clock management yes, but halftime adjustments and mismatches are really on the Coordinators.