1. Like to discuss POLITICS? Come join us at PUNNDITS.com!
    If you like discussing politics and other related topics then your new home (hopefully) for doing just that can be found on Punndits.com! Come join us and help us grow Punndits into a wonderful and safe place to discuss politics with everyone.
    Dismiss Notice

xbox or ps3?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by Wimbo, Jun 5, 2011.

1. Wimbo

Wimbo Active Member

4,133 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    We have a Wii. My 4 year old loves it. My 8 year old daughter rarely gets to play it because my 4 year old is always on it. SO, my 8 yr old daughter has a birthday coming up. She had a blast at Best Buy last week playing one of those xbox360 Kinetic (spelling?) games where you dont need a controller. I think PS3 has the same type of thing (?)

I want some opinions on why I should get one over the other.

selfishly, I enjoy football games, and obviously have not been able to get a new one on my PC in a few years. So, I will take advantage of that option. I may also go for some of the war games out now. But, I don't have any interest in PvP situations where a 14 year old in Kansas keeps virtually blowing me up before I blink. Truth is, however, this will be primarily for the kids.

I know nothing about gaming systems. Someone tell me what I need, why I need it, and why one is better than the other. Also, if I something better is about to come out, let me know that as well.

If it matters, the system will be connected to a 106" screen with 7.1 surround system.

2. Lodeus

Lodeus Well-Known Member

3,776 Messages
    991 Likes Received
    A 360 with Kinect should be perfect for her. Also good for you for football games and whatever other games you like. I think the PS3 is more for the older gaming community.

The PS3 does have a kinect type thing, but I think the 360 has more family games.

3. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

34,778 Messages
    4,084 Likes Received
    Kind of depends on the needs.

Pretty much comes down to this:

If you want to watch Blu-Ray = PS3

If you want to play games online = XBOX

If you want to simply play games offline without any plans on Blu-Ray = Flip A Coin

Neither console has any exclusive titles that are make/break, IMO. Of course, I play mostly first person shooters and as bad as COD might be right now, it's still the leader in that category.

PS3 has something similar to the Kinect (sp?) but you still have to have a controller. It's more like the Wii than the XBOX. Personally, I think all those movement controlled systems are gimmicky.

You'll spend less right off the bat for an XBOX.

E3 is this week I think and I haven't heard any rumblings of new systems. Supposedly another Nintendo product might be in the works but who knows.

If you think you might play online, go for the XBOX.

4. Ren

Ren Well-Known Member

11,339 Messages
    639 Likes Received
    Do you have bluray already? if not then it's a easy choice to go with a PS3

The PS3 move is a lot like the wii so if it's for kids and they want Kinnect you're not going to get that on a PS3. Games wise there's very little separating the 2, so they're pretty much identical for the games you're looking for for your self.

The 360 seem to be focusing a lot on family games with kinnect while on the PS3 they're mostly adding Move support to their normal lineup of games

Nintendo will announce a new system this week so you might want to hold off until you know something about that, Nintendo will always be the best option for family games

5. Dallas

Dallas Old bulletproof tiger

11,514 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    I have both. I don't play blue-ray through my PS3. There are better devices for that and kids aren't wanting a gaming system to watch movies on.

There is no comparison, get a 360.

We rarely touch the PS3 anymore. We turned it on today because I saw the thread announcing it was the last day for the "Welcome Back" from Sony. W had to get our 2 free games and theme and 30 days of Plus. :D

All seriousness, I enjoy both, but the thing that seperates the 2 is the Xbox Live community. Sony is so far behind MS when online content is compared.

FYI: The movie/televsion on Xbox Live is 10x better than Sony. Why? Speed!!! Speed Speed! You can actually sit and watch HD on your XBOX 360 w/o interuption. You can't do that on the PS3, that I have found. You either want to D/L it before you watch or attempt to watch it after it buffers a bit, but that always seems to be interupted more often than not.

On Live...I just buy/rent and play.

Hope our input helps you decide.

6. RoyTheHammer

RoyTheHammer Well-Known Member

13,870 Messages
    769 Likes Received
    Xbox for online content, graphics, speed and ease of use.

I would recommend online play only for yourself though. Too much nastiness for your daughter. Swearing, insults, slurs, etc.. Alot more people should be on the xbox though for playing the war and football games than on ps3.

I have both systems btw, and i rarely even play the ps3 anymore.

7. tupperware

tupperware A Plastic Container

7,269 Messages
    93 Likes Received
    I agree, it comes down to needs.

If you want your personal credentials stolen and the online service to be down for a month or more, PS3.

If you want a system that the worst thing people say about it is a red ring problem that was mostly fixed, XBOX 360.

8. MonsterD

MonsterD Quota outta absentia

4,661 Messages
    926 Likes Received
    I agree with Hoof, and the new Nintendo will be an HD console that succeeds the Game Cube, should be interesting to see if it will any new features on the motion controlled games.

9. LeonDixson

LeonDixson Illegitimi non carborundum

10,310 Messages
    225 Likes Received
    The PS series has always had more backward/forward compatibility than some other systems. I don't know about the XBox. This could be a consideration because most PS2 games will play on the PS3 and you can pick up used ones cheap at Game Stop and other stores like that.

That could save you a lot of $ on family and kid games for your daughter.

10. TheCowboy

TheCowboy The Teen

2,628 Messages
    617 Likes Received
    Better system quality PS3

Better online XBOX

Better overall IMO XBOX

11. MonsterD

MonsterD Quota outta absentia

4,661 Messages
    926 Likes Received
    I would agree with that, sad thing is that they haven't even reached half the capacity the ps3 can put out yet. System robustness easily goes to the ps3, but by the time they reach that apex the ps4 will be out.

12. Ren

Ren Well-Known Member

11,339 Messages
    639 Likes Received
    Only the old 60GB PS3 versions play PS2 games

13. TheCowboy

TheCowboy The Teen

2,628 Messages
    617 Likes Received
    I would consider buying the PS4, because I think it will be the next best thing on Earth, but what really more can XBOX do other than add bluray?

14. BraveHeartFan

BraveHeartFan We got a hat. I want a ring.

26,421 Messages
    3,104 Likes Received
    These above posts are absolutely excellent and sum it all up perfectly. Great job folks.

15. casmith07

casmith07 Attorney-at-Zone

30,268 Messages
    6,057 Likes Received
    Not supposedly for the Nintendo product - it will be revealed tomorrow.

Pretty much everything is spot on here, but I prefer the PS3 because of some of the exclusive games plus playing online is free of charge.

16. tupperware

tupperware A Plastic Container

7,269 Messages
    93 Likes Received
    It's not free when you receive 20 magazine subscriptions on your bank statement.

17. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

34,778 Messages
    4,084 Likes Received
    I wouldn't let this be the deciding factor when they'll be rolling out a pay system soon.

Sure, you'll be able to do stuff online without it, just as you can on XBOX but the pay services will likely offer so much more than the free side that you'll all but be forced into paying.

18. tomson75

tomson75 Brain Dead Shill

16,714 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I have the PS3 hooked up to the 50" Samsung for Blu-ray purposes. I have the Xbox 360 hooked up to the 37" for gaming purposes. I'd like to have the nintendo for the kids....maybe happening soon.

If I had to pick one?

Xbox 360. It's more versatile IMO, and I can just buy a separate Blu ray player.

FWIW, I've had the same 360 for 8 years...returned it for repair after the first year for the "ring of death", and it's been fine since....and I use it heavily.

19. Heisenberg

Heisenberg That gum you like.

10,589 Messages
    2,313 Likes Received
    I have a PS3.

If I had to do it over again? I'd get a 360. No doubt about it.

20. BraveHeartFan

BraveHeartFan We got a hat. I want a ring.

26,421 Messages
    3,104 Likes Received
    The PS3 being free to play Online is very nice. The only problem is that with free you get things, on occassion, like you had with PS3 recently where you couldn't do jack squat online for 3 plus weeks cause a hacker ruined it.

So you get what you pay for basically, IMO.