1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Ya'll fix the o-line at all cost are delusional

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Vinnie2u, Jan 3, 2013.

1. Vinnie2u

Vinnie2u Well-Known Member

2,053 Messages
    365 Likes Received
    Looking into my Chrystal ball. And knowing team history. We are not using a high draft pick 1-4 on a center or guard. First of all valley ranch signed Bernie and livings last year. 2nd the center position will be filled within. 3rd Parnell showed enough to get a chance. 4th anybody drafted 18th and below wont help us win next year. So I think a medium range free agent will be signed for competition and depth. My ball also says that in the rounds 1-4 the following will be picked in no particular order. Qb, NT, DE, and OLB.
  2. CowboyRoy

CowboyRoy Active Member

592 Messages
    28 Likes Received
    Yes, but you are talking about what will be done by Jones and Garrett, not what should be done.

In my mind, Beardeau and Livings were part of the problem last year. They were failed additions. Livings a little better.

That being said, I agree that Jones will probably do next to nothing. He has slighted the Oline for many years now and thats exactly why were in the position we are in. He signed two career backups to start for us.

If It was my team, I would bring in 3 new lineman minimum via FA and the draft. And all would either have to be high priced FA's or first or second round picks. Until this line gets fixed, nothing else matters in my opinion.

Do we have holes elsewhere................yep. But it takes several years for good young lineman and the line to gel as a whole. So the first year will be a trying year anyway. That being said, I would never pass up a blue chip prospect at any position just to take an Olineman.
  3. DBOY3141

DBOY3141 Well-Known Member

3,197 Messages
    478 Likes Received
    And that's the exact reason this team hasn't competed for championships in 17 years. The front office has no clue on how to build a team.

17 years and counting
  4. Oh_Canada

Oh_Canada Well-Known Member

5,876 Messages
    465 Likes Received
    You might want to look back at the recent Super Bowl teams and find out how they built there olines and how long it took for the few "good" ones to gel before they became good.

Green Bay, Pitt and even the Giants Super Bowl teams had what was considered weak olines. The Giants were dead last in running the ball last year.

You know what wins?? Passing the ball efficiently on offense, pressure on the opposing QB, defending the pass and being somewhat decent at stopping the run.
  5. yentl911

yentl911 Well-Known Member

1,563 Messages
    266 Likes Received
    There's no reason I guy picked after the 18th pick cannot come in as a rookie and contribute??

They will go after OL and DL heavy this off season. Book it. They have no choice.
  6. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

27,550 Messages
    1,729 Likes Received
    Agreed.

I think you gotta go DL early in the draft and try to fix the OL in FA & after the first round.
  7. IrishAnto

IrishAnto Well-Known Member

1,049 Messages
    158 Likes Received
    To pass the ball efficiently you need to be able to pass block well and at least have a creditable threat of being able to run the ball.

That’s largely down to the OL.

It's not what other teams can do with their OLs, it what we can do with the OL that counts.

And I see you make no mention of turnovers probably the single biggest factor.
  8. Deep_Freeze

Deep_Freeze Well-Known Member

6,628 Messages
    121 Likes Received
    Well I will say, if you guys don't think when we let Felix walk we will draft another RB high then you haven't been paying attention.

Jerry would rather have Walter Payton behind no OL than Shonn Greene behind the Jets OL. RB will be taken alot higher than some around here are planning at the moment, heck we took Felix as a backup in the 1st round.

As for the others, its real dangerous to be position dependent around draft time so hopefully we don't allow that to taint our draft process.
  9. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,275 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    The comparison to other teams is useless. They don't run the same offense or have the same players. Garretts offense requires a good line to function at 100%. Even if that wasn't the case, there is nothing but good things can come from the line being a strength instead of a weakness. How is Romo expected to have an efficient passing game when he is running for his life? Another thing to consider is that this team has flopped since the early 90s because the trenches have been undervalued. The team has followed your way of thinking for 17 years. What has that gotten them?
  10. IrishAnto

1,049 Messages
    158 Likes Received
    And you know this how?

If you've been paying attention then tell me the the last running back taken in the 1st previous to Felix?
  11. Deep_Freeze

6,628 Messages
    121 Likes Received
    My point was a RB will be probably be taken in the first 4 rounds.

When we took Barber in the 4th, we had just picked Julius with our top pick the previous year. When we took Felix in the 1st, we already had Barber starting. Even when Murray was taken in the 3rd, he wasn't a need that anyone saw coming.

Whether we like it or not, RB is a position of value in Valley Ranch cause it sells tickets and the OL doesn't.
  12. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

27,550 Messages
    1,729 Likes Received
    I think they could just as easily sign a veteran to be the backup.

RB's are a dime a dozen so I don't know if this is the year we use a high pick on a guy. Heck I wouldn't be shocked if Felix is brought back if he'll take a friendly deal.
  13. Oh_Canada

5,876 Messages
    465 Likes Received
    To me passing efficiency speaks to accuracy and not throwing the ball to the other team.

You can keep arguing against the facts, but the bottom line is those three teams have won a bunch of Super Bowls over the last decade. The common threads between them is that they haven't spent a ton of high picks/FA$ on olineman especially guards, but they did on the pass rush.

You want to win in the NFL, get a pass rush and throw the ball accurately to your team when you need to. If Romo can't do it, find someone who can. Big Ben, Eli and Rodgers had no better olines and they were able to in years they won the Super Bowl.

Again, not saying ignore the oline. I'm ok with one in the first three rounds or one in FA, but as the original post suggests, do not spend your entire wad trying to solve one issue on a team with many others to worry about.
  14. IrishAnto

1,049 Messages
    158 Likes Received
    Frankly that's part of the problem.

Ticket sales don't equate to wins.

If it did the Chiefs would the SB contenders every year.
  15. Oh_Canada

5,876 Messages
    465 Likes Received
    Nothing. The Bills have spent pick after pick building an oline-what has that got them? The Eagles-how many lineman have they drafted and spent huge dollars on?

My point is Big Ben, Eli and Rodgers all had to deal with average or below average olines, they managed to win Super Bowls. If Romo has to have the perfect oline, the perfect Wr's, the perfect RB--is he really that good to begin with? If he gets them and they score in bunches, but the defense can't stop anyone will it really matter?

Dline/pass rush first, oline next, safety third (if the Boys don't think Church comes back 100% healthy).
  16. IrishAnto

1,049 Messages
    158 Likes Received
    Any QB will have a hard time being accurate with the opposition’s defenders in his grill.

It think you’ll find there were other factors in the Steelers, Giants, Green Bay winning the Super Bowl, like their defenses generation Turnovers to give their offenses better filed position of one.

Again don’t tell me what other teams have/can do with their OL.

Tell me that the Cowboys have/can do with their OL.
  17. bbailey423

bbailey423 Well-Known Member

4,866 Messages
    449 Likes Received
    The fact that we THINK a 1st round rookie cannot come in and help/start immediatley is how delusional many fans and this front office really is. We are a team that did NOT make the playoffs. We are team that where NO ONE on the roster has won more than ONE playoff game. THAT IS WHO WE ARE!!!!!!!!!!! There should be ZERO sacred cows in Dallas. No one's job should be safe. What has ANYONE on this team accomplished to feel like their job is safe? And the fact that anybody on this team would feel that way....is the EXACT reason why this culture stinks to high heaven. Guys deciding what position they will/will not play. Guys deciding that in spite of how injured they are, they are going to play ANYWAY (and hurting us in the process) Guys deciding they are going to be on the sidelines during the game...and the coach not having any idea about this. This is a mess. I presume it is getting better...but STILL a mess! And until football becomes FIRST...all we will continue to be is an entertainment outfit. That wins just enough to keep Cowboy fans tuning in. But also loseses enough to keep non-Cowboy fans tuning in.
  18. Deep_Freeze

6,628 Messages
    121 Likes Received
    Do you remember Derrick Lassic?? How bout Sherman Williams, Kenny Wheaton, and some of the other has beens. Point blank, we have a history of drafting the position high and putting value in even backup RB roles, and that history doesn't suggest the route you are saying.

I just telling you the mentality, whether I agree with it or not doesn't matter. Its just something we have done, and I wouldn't be surprised to see it happen again at all.

The Chiefs don't concentrate on positions that matter, course they usually have great lines.......and they usually suck. And unfortunately this is a sport to make money, so unfortunately ticket sales do matter to an owner who is also the GM.
  19. IrishAnto

1,049 Messages
    158 Likes Received
    We also had a history of not drafting OL in the first.

It took 30 years but we did it in the end.

So past history doesn't necessarily tell you what we'll do especially since listening to the GM/Owner on the radio, he seems ready to try anything.
  20. Deep_Freeze

6,628 Messages
    121 Likes Received
    If turnovers produced by the D is this important to you, you should want Gerald out of the starting lineuup....immediately.

Drafting an LT is different any other OL position cause it is a premium position that deserves a premium player.

LT isn't the same thing as interior OL, no matter how you try to spin it. I don't venture to know if this is true or not, but I would be willing to wager an interior OL has never been taken in the top 10 picks.

The reason is, the value just isn't there for the position. But for a LT, the value is there and it has to be taken high....and yes even Jerry can realize that.