1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Ya'll fix the o-line at all cost are delusional

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Vinnie2u, Jan 3, 2013.

1. Oh_Canada

Oh_Canada Well-Known Member

5,842 Messages
    442 Likes Received
    Why do the fix the oline crowd keep ignoring history only when it's convenient. It's ok to point out the Cowboys failures, but when you bring up Super Bowls and who won them- suddenly history is irrelevant. I've always been told the easiest way to find success is by emulating the behaviour of the successful.

Do you not think you have a franchise QB? If so, they shouldn't have to spend all of there resources on the oline and if they do can you tell me this team will be a Super Bowl contender? I don't because the dline will be staffed with dinosaurs and has beens and you have no idea if DWare will be healthy all year. If he isn't healthy-no playoffs for the Cowboys that I can assure you if there is no one else besides Spencer who can provide pressure.
  2. IrishAnto

IrishAnto Well-Known Member

1,044 Messages
    156 Likes Received
    Paul Pasqualoni generated 20 turnovers (this year in 16 games we generated 21) in the last 8 games of the 2010 season with Gerald and Alan Ball at safety.

So if safety is of such vital importance to generating turnovers tell me how he managed that?

And in case you’ve missed it we don’t pick in the top 10 this year.

We’re picking 18th and I think you’ll find other teams would disagree with your impression that an interior OL isn’t worth the pick.
  3. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,276 Messages
    1,275 Likes Received
    I think the line should be built with second and third picks and sometimes you get lucky with a later round pick or undrafted free agent. The dline should be addressed in the first in this draft.
    The QBs you listed are not playing in this offense, so comparisons are worthless. It is not just Romo that needs a better line. For this offense to work, the running game has to work. Every offense has certain positions that makes it work. This offense needs a solid oline. If Dallas won't spend the resources to get a line, they need to change.

I feel the same way about the 3-4 defense. If they don't get a big NT and some solid DEs, they need to change.
    I agree with your point on Romo needing top talent at all the positions. I feel the same way about Rob Ryan. If he needs all the resources to make his defense work, they need a different DC. He used most of the draft and most of the free agents last offseason. If they have to do it again, it is time for him to go.
  4. IrishAnto

1,044 Messages
    156 Likes Received
    OK then do you think New Orleans had a good OL when it won the super Bowl?

Do you think the Cowboys had a good OL when it last won?

See it works both ways.

As for Romo he’s good enough if he has a good enough supporting cast.

You think Trent Dillfer was a franchise QB?
  5. SkinsandTerps

SkinsandTerps Redskins Forever

7,398 Messages
    19 Likes Received
    No prediction of what position they will draft 1-4 ?

I say defensive front 7 and secondary are at least 3 of those picks if not OL.
  6. Deep_Freeze

Deep_Freeze Well-Known Member

6,610 Messages
    103 Likes Received
    You have made that point about PP before, funny thing is you pick a certain time period of games to prove your point. I have to ask, what did they do in the other 8 games, cause a good 8 games will still make you end up out the playoffs like we have done the last 2 years.

And yes, there are teams that disagree of course, problem is they are usually losing teams.
  7. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,437 Messages
    1,457 Likes Received
    same usual suspects yelling that the O line does not matter.

nothing new here.
  8. Reverend Conehead

Reverend Conehead Active Member

941 Messages
    244 Likes Received
    ??????????????????????????? Did you watch the same season I did? Did you see the constant false starts by our o-line, especially in the first 8 or 9 games? Every one of those teams clearly had better o-lines in their Super Bowl years than we had this season.
  9. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,276 Messages
    1,275 Likes Received
    I have no problem drafting a position in the front seven, but too many resources he been spent in the secondary.
  10. IrishAnto

1,044 Messages
    156 Likes Received
    In other words you don't have an explanation how he did it!!!!

Yep! The Steelers and 49ers are loosing teams and the Cowboys are winners.

Keep trying.
  11. Deep_Freeze

6,610 Messages
    103 Likes Received
    Nah I was looking for your answer that they didn't do jack in the other games, which is the truth. Cherry picking stats is just a convenient way to try to cherry pick results, just like you can cherry pick the better play by the OL at the end of the season and say its fine too. Problem is, neither is fine.....and I wish people would realize they don't have to pick sides and know that all of the problems are of equal importance, and not just their pet cats.

The Steelers did make a high pick there in 2010 and 2012, 18th and 24th respectively....and they missed the playoffs this year for the first time in years. The 9ers are your one shining example, and while they haven't won anything yet, you have a tendency to leave out the Browns, Jets, Dolphins, and such who stink cause of it.
  12. coogrfan

coogrfan Well-Known Member

1,444 Messages
    158 Likes Received
    I see one problem with this comparison: the 2012 Boys didn't have "an average to below average oline". For most of the season our oline play was, to put it mildly, utterly abysmal.

No one is saying Romo needs a perfect situation, but it should be obvious to anyone who watched this team this season that he definitely needs a better supporting cast.

I would have no problem with this set of draft priorities.
  13. IrishAnto

1,044 Messages
    156 Likes Received
    You can't answer the question, so save the Cherry picking BS.

Oh! I think the Steelers might have made a Super Bowl in 2010.

So who's Cherry picking?
  14. Vinnie2u

Vinnie2u Well-Known Member

2,033 Messages
    332 Likes Received
    Could you imagine this board if Goodel makes the following announcement. With the 18th pick in the NFL 2013 draft. The Dallas cowboys select Matt Barkley qb USC.
  15. Deep_Freeze

6,610 Messages
    103 Likes Received
    You cherry picked your stats from PP, don't know why you deny that. The OL isn't good cause they finished the season well just like those safeties weren't good either, the OL still needs to be improved upon.

This team needs alot of improvement and its bout time that all these 'sides' realize that its not just one thing we need. We need OL, DL, and S and there is no particular order of the need cause none are premium positions other than pass rusher. Now if you want a pass rusher you have to take it early, but the other positions aren't hard to find later.
  16. SkinsandTerps

SkinsandTerps Redskins Forever

7,398 Messages
    19 Likes Received
    I am still trying to figure out what positions you think they will draft if not OL.
  17. goshan

goshan Active Member Zone Supporter

1,879 Messages
    17 Likes Received
    I think you will see a RB and WR taken in the 1st five rounds, unless we address in FA.

I think the offseason will be about:

OL, DL, RB, WR
  18. Vinnie2u

Vinnie2u Well-Known Member

2,033 Messages
    332 Likes Received
    Thanks for asking. Improving the pass rush is #1 DE or OLB.
  19. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

11,663 Messages
    4,212 Likes Received
    OLinemen picked in the top 3 rounds after Jimmy was with the Cowboys:

Larry Allen
    George Hegamin
    Kendell Watkins (Cowboys thought he could play OC or OG)
    Shane Hannah
    Clay Shiver
    Steve Scifres
    Flozell Adams
    Solomon Page
    Andre Gurode
    Al Johnson
    Jacob Rogers
    Stephen Peterman
    James Marten
    Robert Brewster
    Tyron Smith

I didn't include the 4th round where they picked Free and Arkin.
  20. braw

braw Member

765 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    An Oline fix is not hard to do when you have the right QB and RB. Because if you look at the Redskins they went from the 25th ranked rushing team in 2011 to the #1 rushing team in 2012. What was the difference the QB and RB both rookies. The exact same line yet different results. Its the execution of the running plays and the commitment to the running plays that work.

Our OC runs a ADD type of offense, its all over the place and cant stick to one thing. He calls for an off tackle wham run play makes 8 yds from the I formation then sends in different a different group and runs a reverse with a WR. Its makes no sense how he calls plays. The only thing I can think of is he calls his plays based on stats at that particular down and distance based on stats weakness of that defense on that down and distance.