1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Your Expectations for Doug Free

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by CowboyMcCoy, Aug 16, 2013.

1. KLJ

KLJ Member

253 Messages
    21 Likes Received
    i don't expect much from him. if he is average, i'll be ecstatic.
  2. Bullflop

Bullflop Well-Known Member

2,452 Messages
    658 Likes Received
    Where Doug Free is involved, I have more hopes than expectations. I hope he can maintain his solid offseason and preseason performance and I hope he can manage to avoid the penalty plague that had haunted him in the past. He wasn't paying heed to the coaching he was getting last year for reasons unknown to all. This year, he's listening and following the instructions that Callahan has been giving him technique-wise. Doug really had little to lose by embracing Callahan's instruction, especially seeing as how he actually hit rock bottom last year. It's paying dividends for him now and the progress is clearly evident in his performance. Ex scout, Bryan Broaddus, has often given voice to that conclusion in the offseason OTAs and more recently in camp. He'll be better.
  3. TwoDeep3

TwoDeep3 Well-Known Member

6,483 Messages
    2,333 Likes Received
    He will be beaten to the outside. Then Beaten to the inside. Then when he thinks he day couldn't get any worse, he will be bullrushed.

And the beat goes on.
  4. Gameover

Gameover Well-Known Member

3,243 Messages
    476 Likes Received
    solid play that doesnt get us beat
  5. ChldsPlay

ChldsPlay Well-Known Member

6,431 Messages
    512 Likes Received
    5-10 Sacks
    5-10 Holding Penalties
    5-10 False Starts.
  6. coult44

coult44 Well-Known Member

1,636 Messages
    933 Likes Received
    I'm hoping Free just had a bad year last year. We don't know. Maybe he was going through personal problems. Perhaps he was playing with injuries he didn't tell anyone about. It's hard for me to fathom how someone go's from that good to that bad without a good reason. If he could get back to where he was it would be awesome and HUGE for this team.
  7. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

32,708 Messages
    3,197 Likes Received
    Vela made some eye-opening statements the other day concerning Free...

When you look back on his history, he seems to be, for lack of a better term "slow-learner".

His first training camp was very good. His second, under a new offensive line coach was much worse than his rookie camp. He looked lost.

His third camp, and second under Houck was much better. That as the year he subbed for Colombo and did well.

His fourth year, still under Houck, he switched to LT and did well.

We know what happened then... He got the big contract, and the strike hit which wiped out much of training camp. Free looked less good.

Last year he switched positions and again had a new offensive line coach. And it was a dreadful season BUT he did start to improve over the last few games.

This training camp is his second under Callahan AND he's staying in the same spot he was last year AND he's had the indignity of suffering a salary cut AND he's been healthy.

The result is that by most accounts he's had a good camp.

I expect good things out of Doug Free this season and I wouldn't be surprised if he's the starting RT for this team in 2014 also.
    big dog cowboy, jobberone and coult44 like this.
  8. Wishbone82

Wishbone82 Omaha! Omaha! Zone Supporter

212 Messages
    40 Likes Received
    I dont really know what to expect from Free this year, I just really hope that he proves most of us wrong :) He can be a really big difference maker if he can just consistently hold his own.
  9. BAZ

BAZ Drunken Mick

2,771 Messages
    606 Likes Received
    He wont be on the team in 2014.
  10. jobberone

jobberone Right turn Clyde Staff Member

39,301 Messages
    4,659 Likes Received
    Thanks for really advancing the conversation. Since you're almost on an island perhaps you'll tell us why you think that way. What is it about his career, last year or this year that you've seen or heard that tells you this?
  11. jobberone

39,301 Messages
    4,659 Likes Received
    I have never thought of this but it makes sense. I don't think that explains his hands per se but then I've never heard anyone explain it just say it about his hands. It certainly does explain why his technique might be inconsistent. I still don't entirely trust the guy but I never felt he was that bad last year and he's apparently doing well this year. I'll be cautiously optimistic. Nice post.
    CowboyMcCoy likes this.
  12. Verdict

Verdict Well-Known Member

3,454 Messages
    171 Likes Received
    My best guess is marginal to good depending on who is lined up against him. Of the right tackles in the league on the 32 teams in the league my guess is about 15th at best and probably 25th at worst.
  13. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,704 Messages
    1,503 Likes Received

They'll be drafting his replacement next May.
  14. gimmesix

gimmesix Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life

9,468 Messages
    934 Likes Received
    I think his struggles were a product of getting away from his technique, not because he doesn't work hard, but simply because he was losing some physical battles and he tried to compensate the wrong way (such as trying to outguess the defender and putting himself in a bad position).

I expected Parnell to beat him out this year, but I've been pleasantly surprised that he appears locked back into his technique and thus is making few mistakes. Parnell might have lost his shot, but I'm glad that he's also been looking good since his return from injury.
  15. waving monkey

waving monkey Well-Known Member

2,441 Messages
    970 Likes Received
    Average would be 16th rated and I'd jump all over that. I kinda think he can achieve 16th too.
  16. jobberone

39,301 Messages
    4,659 Likes Received
    I was thinking 40th to 50th percentile but your estimate is just as good.
    Verdict likes this.
  17. Verdict

Verdict Well-Known Member

3,454 Messages
    171 Likes Received
    I would be happy if he meets your projection.
  18. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

32,135 Messages
    7,850 Likes Received
    I think he very likely will be. If his play is an improvement over last year, he represents a decent value now for a player capable of starting in this league.
  19. BAZ

BAZ Drunken Mick

2,771 Messages
    606 Likes Received
    Well it would be hard for him to get worse. I would really like to see a large improvment before calling him a capable starter. He was shockingly bad at times last year. I hope he bounces back, but it would suprise me, when a player starts job sharing/ taking a pay cut eesh.
  20. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

32,135 Messages
    7,850 Likes Received
    He's was a bad starter, I agree, but players with starting OT experience who are still relatively young are relatively hard to find in this league still. If for nothing other than a swing OT, he's got value. If he plays better than he did last year, that value goes up a bit. For $3M next year, or whatever it is, he's a decent value.