1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Your favorite quote

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by Cowboy Brian, Oct 19, 2013.

1. Wheeltax

Wheeltax Well-Known Member

1,050 Messages
    544 Likes Received
    Winston Churchill was an endless source of great quotes.

“We can always count on the Americans to do the right thing, after they have exhausted all the other possibilities.”

Also, Axl Rose: "Thanks, but I'm not God. If I was God, 3/4 of you would be girls, and the rest would be pizza and beer."
    Mitcha68 likes this.
  2. theogt

theogt Surrealist Zone Supporter

43,945 Messages
    1,015 Likes Received
    I saw a poster here say "There's no IQ test to be a fan" the other day. I giggled like Ron Swanson.
  3. daschoo

daschoo Slanje Va

2,358 Messages
    94 Likes Received
    One of my favourites is from the 1st manager of Celtic, Willie Maley. He took the job in 1897 after having previously played for the club and kept it for 43 years.
    "It's not the creed nor nationality that counts. It's the man himself. "

Slightly less impressive I remember reading at Hooters on my first trip to America
    "Half of all people are below average"
  4. jwitten82

jwitten82 Active Member

629 Messages
    92 Likes Received
    From the movie Blow,"Life passes most people by while they`re making grand plans for it."
  5. ChldsPlay

ChldsPlay Well-Known Member

6,233 Messages
    373 Likes Received
    "Being productive is a waste of time." - Me
  6. JIMMYBUFFETT

JIMMYBUFFETT Skinwalker

1,201 Messages
    152 Likes Received
    I like that. It reminds me of another Edward Abbey quote (I'm a Abbey homer). "I refuse to do a job I don't want to do in order to support a lifestyle I don't want to live." This one rings real true to me as I become more and more of an introvert, anti-consumerist, and more self sufficient in my life. I think it's a quote that probably hits close to home for most Americans who work those very jobs to support that very lifestyle they don't want. Wouldn't we all love to live in a little hut on the beach, grow our own vegetables, catch our own fish, and be with our families? So why don't we?
  7. JIMMYBUFFETT

JIMMYBUFFETT Skinwalker

1,201 Messages
    152 Likes Received
    We could fill this thread with Churchill quotes. The guy was brilliant with one liners. My favorite and one that I feel is dead on is "The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter."
  8. Cowboy Brian

Cowboy Brian Romo 2 Austin Zone Supporter

11,899 Messages
    327 Likes Received
    That movie is exceptionally underrated. One of the best of all time, especially for the crime genre. It's right up there with Goodfellas, but below Shawshank.
    Mitcha68 likes this.
  9. Mitcha68

Mitcha68 Member

272 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    The older you get, the more rules they are going to try and get you to follow. You just gotta keep on livin', man. L-I-V-I-N. -Wooderson ;-)
  10. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

34,888 Messages
    1,780 Likes Received
    He has several but many of them are to political to discuss but yes, absolutely, he is one of the best, down through history.
  11. WV Cowboy

WV Cowboy Waitin' on the 6th

10,972 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    You stole the first one that came to my mind, .. since I have used it lately when talking about Bum. And then he added, .. "any other time, we will give it to him."

LOL

Another that came to mind was John McCay's quote during his horrendous season with Tampa Bay, ... when asked after another loss about his team's execution, .. he said, ... "I'm all for it."
  12. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

34,888 Messages
    1,780 Likes Received

Yeah, he had a ton of great ones for sure. On a more serious note, I always felt like this was Bum Phillips, in a nut shell:

“If I could be remembered for one thing, that would be for being myself. You may not always be right, but you do what you think is right. If you’re wrong, have the ability to admit it. Both are damned important.”

And that guy was not a bad guy to be like IMO.
  13. Denim Chicken

Denim Chicken Well-Known Member

3,074 Messages
    1,266 Likes Received
    Because that hut cost a cool million, veggies don't grow in the sand, eating fish everyday gets old, and our families can't be pulled away from the TV :)
  14. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

21,007 Messages
    1,006 Likes Received
    "No one will respect you, until you respect yourself." - My Father

Took me a long time to get what he meant when he told me that. Definitely one I'll be passing on to my kids.
  15. Diogenes

Diogenes Active Member

1,200 Messages
    13 Likes Received
    I was married by a judge. I should have asked for a jury.

-Groucho Marx
  16. Diogenes

Diogenes Active Member

1,200 Messages
    13 Likes Received
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world but I am sure we would be getting reports from hell before breakfast.”

-William Tecumseh Sherman
    FiveRings and REDVOLUTION like this.
  17. Bigdog

Bigdog Well-Known Member

1,558 Messages
    39 Likes Received
    Tell me who your friends are and I will tell you who you are.- my father will tell me all the time
  18. BanditHiro

BanditHiro Well-Known Member

2,326 Messages
    259 Likes Received
    "I will give you a show like you have never ever seen before why...because I can."
  19. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,676 Messages
    1,617 Likes Received
    Very much someone who saw things as they ARE
  20. DallasCowpoke

DallasCowpoke Fierce Allegiance

5,406 Messages
    184 Likes Received
    COME AND TAKE IT.

-The Texian Settlers of Gonzales, October 1835