1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Your opinion: What would Jimmy Johnson do if he were Head Coach?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by AMERICAS_FAN, Oct 4, 2012.

1. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

21,477 Messages
    8,376 Likes Received
    I doubt he'd even go for that.

But it's still interesting to talk about.
  2. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

118,744 Messages
    2,421 Likes Received
    Ronnie Lott was never on the Cowboys, so no.
  3. McLovin

McLovin Well-Known Member

3,386 Messages
    1,157 Likes Received
    Paul Palmer I believe
  4. Frozen700

Frozen700 Well-Known Member

12,330 Messages
    833 Likes Received
    Release Romo, Never would have gotten Dez. Lee probably wouldn't get
    discovered.

Release Miles Austin, Play Felix every down. Spencer would have gotten his walking papers. Rat Would be a DE ect..

Pretty much everything the fans want.
  5. noshame

noshame Who wouldn't follow me? Zone Supporter

3,543 Messages
    819 Likes Received
    Walsh?
  6. KJJ

KJJ You Have an Axe to Grind

10,788 Messages
    860 Likes Received
    One thing I wasn't aware of that I found very surprising was that in 1989 Aikman had 38 carries for 302 yards. :eek: He was second on the team in rushing behind Paul Palmer who carried the ball 112 times for 446 yards. Aikman rushed for more yards than Herschel Walker in the 5 games he played for the Cowboys that season and Moose Johnston.
  7. BAT

BAT Mr. Fixit

7,597 Messages
    569 Likes Received
    Jimmy didn't fire Tony Wise. Wannstedt took Wise with him when he was took the Bears' HC position, right after their first SB. Houck inherited a unit that Wise built, with the exception of Larry Allen. Norv recommended Houck, who he was familiar with when they were both assistants on the Rams coaching staff.
  8. Zordon

Zordon Well-Known Member

9,787 Messages
    5,196 Likes Received
    what happened?
  9. BAT

BAT Mr. Fixit

7,597 Messages
    569 Likes Received
    Herschel Walker was a starter behind that line. Emmitt's backups also included: Chris Warren, a multiple pro bowler; Blair Thomas, a high first rounder; Timmy Smith, the wunderkind of '91 SB who held the record for most yards rushing in a SB. Eddie George, 6 years younger than Emmitt, could not even come close to 1,000 yards running behind Emmitt's former OL.

That OL was good. Very good. Emmitt Smith made it legendary.
  10. CowboyRoy

CowboyRoy Active Member

592 Messages
    28 Likes Received
    Cut felix jones, get some nasty Olineman with attitude, and turn it from a finesse team into a physically dominant one. Dez would sit until he ran proper routes.
  11. BAT

BAT Mr. Fixit

7,597 Messages
    569 Likes Received
    2 different Haley stories. The one where he punches hole in wall then nearly decapitates Jerry when he hurls his helmet by his head occurred during Emmitt's holdout with the Cowboys during their '93 SB run.

The other story where Lott had to come in from visitor's lockerroom (Raiders) to console an out of control Haley occurred after a 9ers loss and one of the precursors that led to his trade to the Cowboys.
  12. dadymat

dadymat I'm kind of a Big Deal

6,022 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    having open comp between two rookies is a little different situation than Romo and Orton wouldnt you say?
  13. rcaldw

rcaldw Well-Known Member

6,322 Messages
    720 Likes Received
    Quit and hire Jason Garrett.
  14. rcaldw

rcaldw Well-Known Member

6,322 Messages
    720 Likes Received
    Revisionist history.

#1 Warren didn't show up until the glory days were gone. Both for the Cowboys AND for him. He was in his last days.

#2 Blair Thomas ended up with us because he was a bust with the New York Jets. He was never great. Even so, he had a HUGE playoff game for us, that we won, when Emmitt carried the ball less than 10 times.

#3 To try and present Timmy Smith as a good back is, perhaps, the biggest stretch of all. You talk about a 1 game wonder???? That was Timmy Smith.

#4 Eddie George played HIS VERY LAST SEASON with Dallas. 31 years old. And the team was terrible.
  15. rcaldw

rcaldw Well-Known Member

6,322 Messages
    720 Likes Received
    One of the greatest and most often repeated myths on this board (because most of the guys on here aren't old enough to remember Aikman's entire career) is that he was immobile.

He wasn't until later in his career. And even when he was younger and quit running as much it wasn't because he couldn't, it is because he didn't want or need to anymore. Timing passing system.
  16. Zordon

Zordon Well-Known Member

9,787 Messages
    5,196 Likes Received
    why was he so ticked?
  17. ConstantReboot

ConstantReboot Well-Known Member

2,811 Messages
    846 Likes Received
    Gotta agree with you here. If there is one underlying issue why this team has not done so well for so many years is this. Jones run this team head over first. Coaches want to do the right thing but they get overridden by Jones.

I do wish we can find a coach that is not afraid to stand up to Jones and tell it as it is. What this team needs is a coach with balls. I wish that coach was Garrett but it aint going to happen.
  18. BAT

BAT Mr. Fixit

7,597 Messages
    569 Likes Received
    They got their arse kicked by a lousy Raider team. Plus he was still ticked that SF did not re-sign Lott, one of his mentors. Haley did not like Young either.
  19. BAT

BAT Mr. Fixit

7,597 Messages
    569 Likes Received
    Revisionist history? What did I say that was not true? Warren was a contemporary of Emmitt's and they both were going to pro bowls in the 90's (when Warren was with Seahawks). And while Cowboys were no longer dominant when Warren joined Dallas, Emmitt was still running for 1,000 yards behind that OL. When Emmitt was injured, Warren did not do the same, even though he was bigger and faster (even then) than Emmitt. Who is revising stuff now?

And yes, Blair Thomas was a bust, but he was still a first rounder was he not? And I admitted that Timmy Smith was a one game wonder (I even spelled out which game for the reading impaired) but he was still very talented. With an OL as "epic" as many make it out to be, any back would have had success, non?

Finally, Eddie George was ONE season removed from his glory days with the Titans. In fact, his single season with the Cowboys was only his SECOND season with less than a 1,000 yards. He only had ONE season with the Tites where he did not amass a grand. Emmitt still had success running behind his crappy OL, George did not. George was also FIVE years younger than Emmitt.
  20. BAT

BAT Mr. Fixit

7,597 Messages
    569 Likes Received
    Haley was ticked at Jones for not paying Emmitt. The Cowboys were fresh off a SB win but could not beat anyone without Emmitt - struggling even to be competitive.

Haley blamed the Niners for everything and nothing. They just got their arse kicked by a lousy Raider team and he blamed Steve Young (couple of INTs and no TDs). He started raging in the locker room, screaming, threatening, crying and smashing holes in walls. Only Lott could calm him down (And he was still ticked that SF did not re-sign Lott, one of his mentors). Also ticked that they brought in former Packer pass rusher Tim Harris (a rival). Haley did not like Siefert either.

He was crazy but the guy hated to lose. He was inconsolable after losses. He even offered to let Jerry pay the difference in Emmitt's contract demands out of his own salary.