1. CowboysZone Upgrade Coming Soon! For more information, click here.

You're doing a heckuva job... W

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by BrAinPaiNt, Apr 23, 2008.

1. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Backwoods Sexy Staff Member

63,379 Messages
    6,951 Likes Received
    Disapproval of Bush breaks record

LINK

By Susan Page, USA TODAY
    WASHINGTON — President Bush has set a record he'd presumably prefer to avoid: the highest disapproval rating of any president in the 70-year history of the Gallup Poll.

In a USA TODAY/Gallup Poll taken Friday through Sunday, 28% of Americans approve of the job Bush is doing; 69% disapprove. The approval rating matches the low point of his presidency, and the disapproval sets a new high for any president since Franklin Roosevelt.

The previous record of 67% was reached by Harry Truman in January 1952, when the United States was enmeshed in the Korean War.

Bush's rating has worsened amid "collapsing optimism about the economy," says Charles Franklin, a political scientist at the University of Wisconsin-Madison who studies presidential approval. Record gas prices and a wave of home foreclosures have fueled voter angst.

Bush also holds the record for the other extreme: the highest approval rating of any president in Gallup's history. In September 2001, in the days after the 9/11 attacks, Bush's approval spiked to 90%. In another record, the percentage of Americans who say the invasion of Iraq was a mistake reached a new high, 63%, in the latest poll.

Assessments of Bush's presidency are harsh. By 69%-27%, those polled say Bush's tenure in general has been a failure, not a success.

Low approval ratings make it more difficult for presidents to maneuver, limiting their ability to get legislation passed or boost candidates in congressional elections.

"The president understands war and the slowdown in the economy weigh down public opinion, but the situation in Iraq is improving and the economy is about to get a big boost from the stimulus package," said White House spokesman Scott Stanzel.

Bush has had dismal ratings through most of his second term. His approval rating hasn't reached as high as 50% since May 2005. He's been steadily below 40% since September 2006.

Views of Bush divide sharply along party lines. Among Republicans, 66% approve and 32% disapprove. Disapproval is nearly universal — 91% — among Democrats. Of independents, 23% approve, 72% disapprove of the job he's doing.
  2. canters

canters Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

2,023 Messages
    108 Likes Received
    Not a surprise. Even Reagan had bad numbers when he left.

I am too young to remember Truman. I have been told he was very unpopular at the end of his term,,,a bad ecomony at the time and the war in Korea. I think any 'fair" assessment of Truman today was that he was a good president, at least that is what the lefty textbook writers say.

Bush was a disappointment to a many people about a lot of things, but I think history will judge him more favorably than he is now. He is far from the worst president in my lifetime (Carter). IF Iraq turns the corner and the rest of the region is forced to embrace democracy, then Bush's rep really is enhanced. Economic times come and go. We will see better times again.

Bad thing is that a president has very little to do with the economy. the Fed Reserve is more powerful than the president in this regard.
  3. theogt

theogt Surrealist Zone Supporter

44,865 Messages
    2,647 Likes Received
    Now, if Hillary or Obama get elected they'll be the president with the highest disapproval ratings when elected. Both have 50+ disapproval ratings.
  4. AtlCB

AtlCB Active Member

3,686 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    If you think Bush's ratings are bad, check out the congressional approval ratings - some polls have them in the teens. :eek:
  5. Jordan55

Jordan55 Active Member

1,176 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Talking about Democratic leadership, here's another poor example of it.

Reid Statement on Petraeus

Harry 'the war is lost' Reid put out this statement on Petraeus's move to CENTCOM:

The next CENTCOM commander and field commander in Iraq will have to help the next President with a number of critically important challenges: making America more secure, restoring America's power and influence in the world, fixing our costly strategy in Iraq, and articulating a more effective strategy for winning in Afghanistan and defeating Al Qaeda in Pakistan....Our ground forces' readiness and the battles in Afghanistan and against al Qaeda in Pakistan have suffered as a result of the current costly Iraq strategy. These challenges will require fresh, independent and creative thinking and, if directed to by a new President, a commitment to implementing major changes in strategy...The Senate will carefully examine these nominations and I will be looking for credible assurances of a strong commitment to implementing a more effective national security strategy.

Not a word of thanks or praise for the remarkable job Petraeus has done in Iraq. Stay classy, Harry.

Update: It's interesting to note the contrast with the statement from Lieberman, which praised Petraeus saying he "has won the admiration and respect of the entire country over the past fifteen months." Isn't that objectively true? Or has the Democratic party been entirely co-opted by the 'Betray Us' crowd at MoveOn.org.
  6. Cajuncowboy

Cajuncowboy Preacher From The Black Lagoon

27,476 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Who cares about the dems and what they think? They have been inundated with Bush sucks stories for 8 years and now with the circus that is the Dems primary, they get another free round of Bush bashing.

Of course it's going to be that low. When that is all people hear, that's what they will believe whether it's true or not.
  7. BrAinPaiNt

63,379 Messages
    6,951 Likes Received
    Poll taken Friday through Sunday, 28% of Americans approve of the job Bush is doing; 69% disapprove.

It is not the media making him look bad.

Or would you say it was just the media making him look good when he had one of the highest approval ratings right after 9/11?
  8. Rackat

Rackat Active Member

2,134 Messages
    0 Likes Received
  9. BrAinPaiNt

63,379 Messages
    6,951 Likes Received
    Can you make Bush and Byrd one of those horses for me please.

Thanks in advance.

:laugh2:
  10. Cajuncowboy

27,476 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Yes to both. If you don't think that the media has any control over they way the average AMERICAN thinks then you are not paying attention.

He got way to much credit for the reaction after 9/11 and he takes way too much blame for Iraq. Especially when we were justified to go in and since it is not as bad as the bafoons in the media portray it to be.
  11. BrAinPaiNt

63,379 Messages
    6,951 Likes Received
    If I ever run for office I want you as my supporter...because I could fart in nuns faces, steal candy from kids, screw up the constitution and and number of other things and you will support me with blind loyalty.

Wait a minute...you don't work for bush, like a guy on his staff or something.:)
  12. Cajuncowboy

27,476 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    You know darn well, I am not in lock step with Bush. I have several issues with him and I have addressed them as well. But what most people want to seem to discuss on this board are the lies about 9/11 and the war in Iraq, so yeah, I support him there and in the war on terror.

But you are being disingenuous when you make statements like that knowing what you know about me.
  13. BrAinPaiNt

63,379 Messages
    6,951 Likes Received
    So I could do anything but let illegal aliens in and I would be ok?
    I mean I am all for better border security so I think we may make a great team...I do what I want and you support me.
    :laugh2:
  14. Cajuncowboy

27,476 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    And don't spend like a drunken liberal and make the government bigger and let teddy write the education bill and...

well you get the point.

But yeah, I'd support ya.

Will you let the Bible back in school? :D
  15. ConcordCowboy

ConcordCowboy Mr. Buckeye

12,748 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    Ah a thread dear to my heart.

It's like the Global Warming threads here...you can never have too many.

[IMG][IMG]

[IMG][IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG][IMG]

[IMG][IMG]

[IMG][IMG]

[IMG][IMG]

[IMG]
  16. BrAinPaiNt

63,379 Messages
    6,951 Likes Received
    Yes no more spending and trying to cutting taxes at the same time.
    No making government bigger while grabbing more power for myself.
    No more appointing incompetent cronies to positions they have business being in.
    More Transparency.

And I WILL allow the bible back in school...

Private religious schools and public vacation bible schools.:laugh1:
  17. zrinkill

zrinkill Diamond surrounded by trash

33,322 Messages
    1,061 Likes Received
    Conservatives do not vote in these polls because they are at work.

Sorry thats just the truth.
  18. DallasFanSince86

DallasFanSince86 Pessimism Sucks

2,056 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I was wondering why I never got to take part in any of these published polls people keep posting. I don't think I have ever been asked to take part in any kind of political poll.
  19. Heisenberg

Heisenberg That gum you like. Zone Supporter

9,548 Messages
    836 Likes Received
    Oh I see. So the 80% that disapprove of the job he's doing are jobless democrats and the 20% that do are obviously hard-working republicans who happen to have taken the day off.

Makes sense to me.
  20. hairic

hairic Well-Known Member

2,519 Messages
    322 Likes Received
    Rather than post an actual reply, like Ozzu did, I'll just go the more reliable route:

Source? Where did you get your truth?