1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

YR's My Meaningless Thoughts On The Game...

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Yakuza Rich, Nov 23, 2012.

1. TtownCowboy

TtownCowboy Member

359 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Could be that some believe that is the only thing he's actually good at. He's a terrible play caller/game planner imho. But I believe he's actually done well with the draft, free agency, and churning the roster. He just needs zero input on game day.
  2. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

7,464 Messages
    2,078 Likes Received
    cut the cord already

this guy has proven nothing that justifies giving him a promotion
  3. VACowboy

VACowboy Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

3,712 Messages
    175 Likes Received
    I never said promote Garrett to VP, GM or anything else.

IMO, Garrett is out of his element as a head coach but seems to be a pretty good judge of talent. I don't see what's so bizarre about wanting to keep him in the organization as a personnel guy. Is it feasible? Probably not. I'm sure JG wants to coach. But I think his talent lies in personnel assemblage and that he'd make a good GM somewhere some day.
  4. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,396 Messages
    1,263 Likes Received
    I think Jerry is finally getting ready to invite Garrett to a restaurant and bust out the cocktail napkin ala TO.
  5. Ken

Ken Well-Known Member

3,076 Messages
    114 Likes Received
    YR,

I give you credit for calling your shot last week as I was the one who thought it was an odd statement.

Although I disagree that we got blown out or that we didn't have a chance to win, I never expected them to put up 38 points.

If our defense doesn't let them get that FG on their final drive, I would have taken our chances to see if we could have tied the game.
  6. daniukid

daniukid Member

102 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Great piece. Your Syracuse analogies remind me of my college team's Jeff Tedford. JT did so many great things and rescued Cal, but low graduation rates and poor plays...Now time to get the Sean Payton of CFB to take us back to the next level.
  7. Zordon

Zordon Well-Known Member

9,790 Messages
    5,199 Likes Received
    I forgot Coach P was at Cuse for so long. That must have been hell.
  8. davidyee

davidyee Maple Leaf

3,726 Messages
    40 Likes Received
    ...to say this, but clearly something is wrong with the Cowboys.

Since the Johnson departure we have had our fair share of coaches and players come through, but we cannot seem to establish a culture of excellence or even continuous improvement for that matter.

This year's Cowboys seem to be a undisciplined and unfocused group. They say the right things and at times perform amazing feats on the field, but often this is combined with pure bonehead pre snap incidents or uncontested errors.

Is it me or are parts of the team just lack "football intelligence"?

No matter how physically gifted we are the team seems to show a poor mental side on the field.

Last, is there a trend of players unable to stay on the field? Injuries are injuries, but when you can't get through two or three seasons relatively injury free it makes the prospect of being a contributing player dimmer for the team.

I expected this year not to be a playoff year necessarily, but I did want to see some trending upward.

I'm not sure if we are witnessing this on the field.

You can pick your targets to blame, but ultimately Jerry has to shoulder the questions about his organization's performance. It is his job to assemble the team and pattern the behavior for success.
  9. Shunpike

Shunpike Active Member

718 Messages
    133 Likes Received
    YR

I have been reading multiple forums for the past few years. I have came across some good posters but you are a different guy.

I enjoy reading your posts after each game.

I would love to see your opinion about rest of the season for NFC East.
  10. 17yearsandcounting

17yearsandcounting Benched

2,391 Messages
    1,677 Likes Received

Garrett as GM? Good god. Do you want him to keep failing up the ladder?
  11. BRAVEONAWARPATH

BRAVEONAWARPATH Member

47 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Kyle Shanahan will be available but it's expected that he'll stay in D.C.

Most feel he'll eventually be the head coach.
  12. Gaede

Gaede Well-Known Member

7,808 Messages
    773 Likes Received
    I hate the guy as head coach, but I don't hate the guy. He's got some things he's good at it--including personnel. He can't coach, that's clear.

Plus, it would be a way to weed out Jerry's influence
  13. 17yearsandcounting

17yearsandcounting Benched

2,391 Messages
    1,677 Likes Received
    This team is terrible on offense, his specialty.

What personnel?
  14. Gaede

Gaede Well-Known Member

7,808 Messages
    773 Likes Received
    I think the players are good. His coaching is what keeps them from being better.

But I actually agree with you, after thinking about it. Garrett hasn't earned a promotion. He's had some success but not like he's been so wildly good at drafting that he should call all the shots.
  15. birdwells1

birdwells1 Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

3,366 Messages
    489 Likes Received
    Thank You:bow:
  16. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

27,708 Messages
    1,920 Likes Received
    He gives us no advantages with his coaching and he needs to go.
  17. birdwells1

3,366 Messages
    489 Likes Received
    First, we have to know how much input he's had on our drafts before we promote him.
  18. birdwells1

3,366 Messages
    489 Likes Received
    That's funny right there, I hope you're correct.
  19. birdwells1

3,366 Messages
    489 Likes Received
    Watch Jimmy Johnson's A Football Life, he tells Belichek something like "remember when I told you to hit me over the head with a hammer the next time I draft a dumb player".

While assessing a players football intelligence needs to be put on a higher scale than what we presently do.

Shoot for that matter, assessing head coaches football intelligence needs to be put on a higher scale also.:)
  20. bbailey423

bbailey423 Well-Known Member

4,921 Messages
    497 Likes Received
    I hope what you say does not get lost on people. You are exactly right....Jerry thinks exactly like this....OFTEN.

He made Jason Garrett the highest paid OC in the HISTORY of the NFL. And much of what he had accomplished was with Tony Sparono around. The offense has been in a death spiral ever since Sparono left. Jerry (and to a degree I do not blame)....is trying to get the MOST bang for his buck. Which is why he is trying to get a 2 for 1 with what he has spent on Garrett.

Jerry did this with the Leonard Davis signing as well. Davis got the BIGGEST signing bonus in the history of the franchise. And it is because Jerry anticipated some sort of magical powers of being a Dallas Cowboys was going to make Leonard Davis the replacement for Flozell Adams at the end of Flozell contract.

Jerry has ALWAYS thought paying someone the most is going to make them tap into some inner powers within someone that have yet to be released...and the right amount of money will release them