1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

YR's My Meaningless Thoughts On The Game...

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Yakuza Rich, Dec 3, 2012.

1. ShiningStar

ShiningStar Well-Known Member

6,290 Messages
    556 Likes Received
    I think Dallas beat a team whose physcially and mentally tired and defeated, and still they stood up for a divsional rival, which is what they must do. I think they accomplished more with a rookie qb and rookie RB, and a depleted Oline and a not so good defense as advertised. Is there any silver lining in that? Clearly no? is it encouraging for next week? so so. but as long as you live today whetehr limp or crawl, you dont know what next week brings.

Many many factors play into each and every game, simple put.

Dallas doesnt have to be happy about the win, but the fans can be, unless your a nut and bolt fan who gets into science and technical words of the game. Compared to the happy guy with a beer in his hand.

Jerry and this franchise needs to look into the soul of this team and make some changes over the course of the offseason. I think some players are not playing with soul and some are playing wiht soul but some are just backups. McCray comes to mind, but theres no shame in that.

Romo is doing a lot of which is being asked of him with what he has at his disposal and hes doing a great job. Murry came to play and Dez came to play. Yes the Oline needs an overhaul but i have more faith in Callahan than i have in recent weeks.

I am stil not happy with the defense, but I will wait til the injuries are over and IF we get a safety in the offseason, doesnt need to be stellar, but I think the defense would benefit greatly from it.

Than you have to gut the lines and look at what you have and see whats out there and start moving pieces around and shoring up contracts of players you want to keep whether for depth or starters, and I think more work has to get into that defensive line BECAUSE this defense needs to start dictating games INSTEAD of playing to the opponents offense. That starts with Ryan if he should or should not be brought back.
  2. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

30,507 Messages
    6,258 Likes Received
    Realistically, who do we get back here at the end of the season? On defense, Rat and eventually maybe Scandrick. We'll 'get' Poppinga integrated on defense next week. Any other help on the horizon? Some Kyle Wilbur at ILB, which could be interesting.

On offense, we'll get Costa back, maybe, and a bit more our of Murray. That's about it. Not a whole lot of personnel hope on the horizon.

It's encouraging that the offense is getting back to where it wanted to be--against bad defenses, at least. We're so limited defensively that we're going to basically have to trade score for score with good teams the rest of the way. Tall order.

I'm talking specifically about the rest of this season, obviously, because I was already somewhat encouraged by much of what the team's done recently. We were snake-bitten starting in training camp this season, and it's been one long sustained injury or setback at a position of questionable depth after another this season. Even going back to yesterday where PIT wins in BAL and the Bengals pull it out at the end, setting up an AFC Wildcard-by-proxy fight against Dallas in the coming weeks. Thanks, Football Gods.

At least we're playing games that matter in December, though. Hopefully we sneak one out in Cincy and keep the faith alive a bit longer.
  3. Crown Royal

Crown Royal Insulin Beware

10,351 Messages
    694 Likes Received
    Meh, i wasn't as impressed with Bernadeau. I felt like the last two games he was a little better but that in this game he regressed a little. He played a little better in the run game, especially when he pulled, but I feel like every game he has a few times in protection where he just gets beat to the gap between he and the tackle. He just doesn't do well against any sort of speed rush at all.

The other gripe is he spends too much time on the ground. It may just be me noticing too much, but I feel like he is almost always picking himself up after run plays.
  4. Crown Royal

10,351 Messages
    694 Likes Received
    You know the more I think about it the more I realize that I am not giving Mack enough credit. I still maintain his pass blocking stinks and is only better when compared to Doug Free, and that straight ahead he doesn't keep his feet. But each of the big runs left he was very good pulling and leading the way in power. Maybe that's his move.
  5. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    Just basically got to hope to get Rat back and that that Wilbur and Crawford get better with each accumulative game rep. Then build upon the fact that Dez seems to be emerging as one of the game's top WRs, with Miles and Murray getting healthier and hope the defense is just good enough to come out on the winning end of shootouts.
  6. DandyDon1722

DandyDon1722 It's been a good 'un, ain't it?

2,304 Messages
    849 Likes Received
    Yep, completely agree.

Rich you have had no problem ripping Romo and he has deserved it at times this year, but not mentioning engineering three drives of over 80 yards and one of 70 along with a 150.5 QB rating behind that line is disingenuous. Don't you understand that you gain credibility (and leverage when you need it) by being fair?

Too bad you missed it.
  7. AbeBeta

AbeBeta Well-Known Member

25,467 Messages
    928 Likes Received
    OL guys don't win every battle. Not in the NFL.

Tyron gave up a sack that looked to be Romo's fault, Smith directed his guy one way but Tony stepped right into the DE. If Romo simply stays back in the pocket or steps left, he's got great protection.
  8. AbeBeta

25,467 Messages
    928 Likes Received
    all the reports I read on him said he moves well.

he's been better in all aspects of his game. part of that is just playing more but I think that it is more likely about getting strength back after two off-season surgeries
  9. Bluestang

Bluestang Well-Known Member

5,513 Messages
    716 Likes Received
    They ran the same stuff in the 2nd half as the 1st.

The difference? The OL blocked alot better and gave Romo time.

You mean like the way we ran 6 PA passes in the NYG game at home?

It helps when you establish a running game to compliment the passing game.

So you think this was a designed roll out and not Tony extending the play because he felt pressure in his face because Doug Free couldn't block his man?

The SEA and TB come to mind right away but in those game Witten struggled and/or Romo overthrew the ball to him. WAS was another game where Witten was open down the seam but Romo overthrew the ball just a tad.

I'd beg to differ that the talent on the OL needs to be upgraded, and another legit WR added to the mix. You saw what Romo can do when he's given time but that is the problem and has been this season, hasn't it?
  10. Bluestang

5,513 Messages
    716 Likes Received
    This was definitely a coverage sack.
  11. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

27,708 Messages
    1,921 Likes Received
    The offense was good because players made plays outside of the system for the most part.

I'll give Garrett credit for the Miles Austin play. I'll also give him some credit for the short throw to Dez.

Garretts process of becoming a good coach is still a loooong ways away.
  12. Gaede

Gaede Well-Known Member

7,809 Messages
    774 Likes Received
    Good post. It's really hard to be too optimistic about the season when you've lost so many guys and they aren't coming back. But it is nice to still be in the discussion of playoffs. Even if it looks very doubtful.

The two guys who could really add something, though, are Rat and Costa. But, who knows with them? Snakebit from training camp. I have a feeling we won't see much out of either of them the rest of the way.
  13. Bluestang

5,513 Messages
    716 Likes Received
    Can you explain your first comment?
  14. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,625 Messages
    1,571 Likes Received
    when has Romo thought he could step up in the pocket?
  15. AbeBeta

25,467 Messages
    928 Likes Received
    I know, right? That was what struck me as so odd.
  16. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,625 Messages
    1,571 Likes Received
    romo probably barely thinks about stepping up into the non existant pocket anymore. He has been worked so much that the idea he could have one is probably the last thing on his mind
  17. Bluestang

5,513 Messages
    716 Likes Received
    Just to be clear I don't believe in this argument that the players started playing out of the system.

That's too convenient for the Garrett haters and once again the goal posts moved in their quest to prove that Garrett is the problem.
  18. Crown Royal

10,351 Messages
    694 Likes Received
    I don't buy that either, but what I do think you saw last night was Garrett's same system finally working against a very meager defense. There is no doubt that Garrett's strategy of balance works in theory, but this is the first time since opening night it has worked in practice, and I remain unconvinced that it can work against better defenses with this personnel.

The OL was very good on the power left running play because the eagles are awful. If that play goes away, what happens then? We are back to shotgun and slinging 60 times in a game.
  19. Bluestang

5,513 Messages
    716 Likes Received

I can't see any type of scheme working with this current group of OL. Find a great center and anyone better than Free and we are better than what we've had in recent years.

No doubt that they beat up on a defense that was bad but we also saw how Romo can operate in this offense when he has time to scan the field instead of looking for the checkdowns/dumpoffs right after the snap.

Romo also said in the postgame report how the effective running game changed the entire dynamics of the game. I posted in a different thread but you should see it.
  20. Crown Royal

10,351 Messages
    694 Likes Received
    I'd like a link for that.

And I do think we could have some more success with a short passing game attack that didn't JUST include Jason witten.

Lots of comebacks, drags, etc. We have Miles Austin and Dez Bryant, two marvels at YAC.

3 step drops aren't pretty but if you use them effectively between the 20s you can move the ball. A 3 yard pass is better then a -1 yard run.,