1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

YR's My Meaningless Thoughts On The Offense...

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Yakuza Rich, Nov 26, 2012.

1. noshame

noshame Who wouldn't follow me? Zone Supporter

3,612 Messages
    863 Likes Received
    On the nose YR!
  2. rickjameschinaclub

rickjameschinaclub Benched

1,222 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Brady would be a joke in this offense... The guy has the cleanest pocket in the league, especially the interior pocket where he can step into his throws, and his offense is predicated on short routes. If you noticed this year, when Wes Welker was not playing, the offense 'stagnated' and it was only when this guy came back, did the offense turn it up a notch. The guy makes his breaks quick and gets open quickly considering the way the DBs can't play anymore, and the ball is out of Brady's hands fast.

It's one of the most downplayed aspects of that organization, because everybody is all gushy gushy about Brady. When people are sniffing on Brady, the Super Bowl performances happen...
  3. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

28,023 Messages
    2,258 Likes Received
    Brady also plays in a up tempo offense. Romo would light it up in that offense. Even with this current roster.

Overwhelming teams with fast offensive pace is the future of this league and the Patriots are ahead of the curve.

They catch a defense in a bad matchup and they don't let them off the field.

We just take whatever the defense gives. We won't even run a play until the defense has had time to get ready and line up.

The Cowboys offense causes 0 confusion for the defense.
  4. Gadfly22

Gadfly22 Active Member

627 Messages
    152 Likes Received
    Amen to that. But we'll likely never see it.
  5. intelmax

intelmax New Member

89 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I wish we could do this too but we would probably get a false start and ruin everything. Im still down for letting romo throw it 50+ times a game, the running game is detrimental at this point.
  6. rickjameschinaclub

rickjameschinaclub Benched

1,222 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    This too... they are efficient in lining up and catching the defense off guard, without time to adjust... you got to disturb their rhythm to beat them, which is hard to do.... their interiro OL is all-world and their WR routes are quick and short... plus they got the best TE in the league right now, who essentially catches everything thrown his way...

God, I hate them...
  7. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

28,023 Messages
    2,258 Likes Received
    I don't think we would.

They just get up to the line and run the play. Now if we had Payton Manning he may never get a play off.

Supposedly the Patriots offense uses 1 word to call the play and it tells everyone what to do.
  8. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

28,023 Messages
    2,258 Likes Received
    Yep. Great Quarterbacking and scheming is what they do. They don't have that great of a roster but they'll get great QB play and their coaches will outsmart your coaches.
  9. bysbox1

bysbox1 Well-Known Member

1,197 Messages
    87 Likes Received
    I have been saying this for a very, very long time. I thought and still thnk Romo has all the intangibles to run a WCO. I know Romo would be 33-34 years old by the time the switch is made, but better to do it now than wait another 2 or 3 years when it's too late.
  10. intelmax

intelmax New Member

89 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I dont know man, its hard to trust this team. Heck even Witten is jumping early now, plus Romo is not allowed to snap the ball until the play clock says 2 seconds right :laugh2:
  11. bysbox1

1,197 Messages
    87 Likes Received
    Because he was Jerry's boy and that's what Jerry wanted . . . .
  12. bysbox1

1,197 Messages
    87 Likes Received
    We also had the remnants of Bill Parcell's staff and the play calling was a bit different. Tony Sparano was here working with the offense along with Garrett.
  13. 17yearsandcounting

17yearsandcounting Benched

2,391 Messages
    1,677 Likes Received
    We have one of the best mobile QBs in recent memory, why dont we roll the pocket or run bootlegs to take advantage of what Romo does best? I think we've ran 1 bootleg, and the only time Romo gets to throw on the move is when he is running for his life. Its criminal player mismanagement and it points the finger at Jason being completely inept.

Or is it the "Passing Game Coordinator"? Another Garrett that did nothing to deserve a promotion. Dont develop a single tight end worth a damn, get promoted. Has Jason insulated himself so much with his cronies that none of them will say anything to him about using the players to their strengths?
  14. CowboysFaninDC

CowboysFaninDC Well-Known Member

2,972 Messages
    151 Likes Received
    so the OL sucks, and how do you adjust to that? he needs to adjust his offense to fit romo, that doesn't fit the OL and it doesn't fit the WRs....

how do you adjust then, because there are three different adjustments....

why are we this way? because the GM over the years didn't have a vision or long term plan to put a team together. in the mornings I listen to ESPN and they often say that bilicheck has a vision on what he wants his team to look like by the end of the year and its based on personnel he put together for the vision he had and then he makes slight adjustments.

we go year to year, just signing players, non fit together and its a mish-mush of players. then we point to the head coach and say why can't you make these ingredients work?
  15. rocyaice

rocyaice Well-Known Member

7,054 Messages
    1,112 Likes Received
    Romo and Garrett have had success in the past. And offensively they are having success now. They simply aren't scoring points and to me that has more to do with the lack of running game or offensive as it does with slow developing plays.
  16. CowboysFaninDC

CowboysFaninDC Well-Known Member

2,972 Messages
    151 Likes Received
    are the OL men athletic enough to do that? also, there are risks to doing that, because you limit the area you can throw to. you limit your options. it works but not as a mainstay and plus, I think its pretty late in the year to run a new offense.
  17. 17yearsandcounting

17yearsandcounting Benched

2,391 Messages
    1,677 Likes Received

The hall mark of the Jason Garrett offense is yards without points.
  18. Yakuza Rich

Yakuza Rich Well-Known Member

12,347 Messages
    1,391 Likes Received
    Teams are always adjusting and defenses didn't blitz Romo back then nearly as much as they do now. They caught onto the fact that if the pass rushers can get upfield, Romo isn't tall enough to see and throw over the O-Line and opposing D-Line. And he doesn't have a Stafford type of arm to move further away from the pocket and throw the ball with enough velocity to get it to the receiver.

YR
  19. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,885 Messages
    1,478 Likes Received
    wonderful post.

i think the part about the offense fitting romo is 100% spot on.
    when you say matt stafford you basically mean troy aikman. those guys are peas in a pod.

the offense is suited to that type of player for sure.

run plays to a spot and simply beat the defense their with arm strength.

with romo his best plays are much more like rg3's. escape, buy time, go deep.
    or get a decent running game and then use play action.

the one caveat i will make is this team would look a heck of a lot better with its full roster.
  20. Yakuza Rich

Yakuza Rich Well-Known Member

12,347 Messages
    1,391 Likes Received
    Brady would be more effective than Romo in this offense. He can buy himself time because he's taller and can see over the linemen. But, it's like saying Jim Plunkett would be better than Joe Montana in the Raiders' old deep passing system. The system is far better designed for his skills.

YR