1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

YR's My Meaningless Thoughts On The Offense...

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Yakuza Rich, Nov 26, 2012.

1. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,312 Messages
    1,206 Likes Received
    in 2007 we had TO who was scary on short slants.
    once Dez gets to that point (and i believe he is on the way) we'll be much harder to blitz.

miles hammy being retired certainly hurts us. how many short passes did he catch and crush on a couple years back?

blitzes and like full court presses, you punish teams to knock them out of it.
  2. Dodger

Dodger Indomitable

4,209 Messages
    42 Likes Received
    All good points and observations...some of which have been mentioned before. I think people have been suspicious of the offensive scheme most of the year, watching Romo drop back and waiting for guys to get open on long routes down field. I wouldn't hold my breath for it to change, though. Garrett seems to be hell bent on running HIS system without adjustments whether it fits the players we have now or not.
  3. Kilyin

Kilyin Well-Known Member

8,040 Messages
    242 Likes Received
    You make it sound like Romo is 5'8" or something. He's taller than Drew Brees, and the same height as Aaron Rodgers (6'2").

Bledsoe was 6'5".

According to some searches, a shade under 6'4" is the average height for today's NFL QB.
  4. Bluestang

Bluestang Well-Known Member

5,511 Messages
    714 Likes Received
    This has been Romo's issue for quite some time. It's one of the reasons why he's been intercepted over the middle of the field alot in his career and fails to see a LB dropping in coverage. Remember that fake blitz by Henderson in the playoff game in Minnesota?

I'm sure you've seen on more often than not if Romo could have seen the middle of the field a little better he could have hit someone else that was a better option.

I've said this a few times this year but we really need a big, fast receiver on the outside. We literally have no speed guy on the outside. This offense has operated without that guy since Terrell Owens left. There is no offense worth it's salt in the NFL that doesn't have a guy in that role.

YR, look how offenses attack a cover 2 defense (zone and man under) and look at how the 3 vs 2 concept of the cover 2 shell is supposed to give the defense an advantage. Offenses will always exploit the weakest matchup and defenses will certainly dictate what that weakness will be.
  5. intelmax

intelmax New Member

89 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    lol brady would die, i can see it now shotgun, free blitzer coming in and nobody is open. BAM done
  6. Bluestang

5,511 Messages
    714 Likes Received

Brees also drops far in the pocket.

If you look at the SF game they just played in, Brees had to step up into the pocket and he threw some "blind" balls.

Everyone laughed at the comments that Brandon Jacobs said a few years ago but he was right about forcing Romo to stay in the pocket and make him throw from it.
  7. Kilyin

Kilyin Well-Known Member

8,040 Messages
    242 Likes Received
    I guess I never considered 6'2" or so "too short to see over linemen".
  8. goshan

goshan Active Member Zone Supporter

1,879 Messages
    17 Likes Received

Romo is 6'1'' although he lists at 6'2''.
  9. Kilyin

Kilyin Well-Known Member

8,040 Messages
    242 Likes Received
    Based on what? Everywhere you look says 6'2", even his combine results.
  10. rickjameschinaclub

rickjameschinaclub Benched

1,222 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Let us assume that is true... was Jason Garrett also one of those laughing?
  11. Bluestang

5,511 Messages
    714 Likes Received

Well Cook is 6'6", Livings, 6'5", and Bernadeau 6'4". Dockery is 6'6".

Romo's listed height is generous, but Romo is still one of the best pre-snap read QBs in the league. This is because of his work ethic and film study.

I still believe that Romo can still be a SB winner with his skillset but he also needs to have a potent running game to help him.

Sean Payton is not going to bring that with him. NO lost to the Saints because they get one dimensional all too often. They can't run the ball worth a damn. They've demonstrated this so many times against good defenses. In his 7 seasons Payton only ranked 6th in running 2 times.

Payton's offense is more of a deep, vertical threat than Garretts. The same slow, developing plays they run he will bring here as well.
  12. rickjameschinaclub

1,222 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I would think most lineman are on average taller or at least equal in height to their QBs...

I love the excuses people are making against Payton in order to defend Garrett staying... Now, suddenly Payton has slow and long developing pass plays, when previously people were telling us how it's not true with Garrett and he throws the ball short as is evidenced by the one play he overthrew Witten on an out pattern that was like 5 yards long.
  13. Bluestang

5,511 Messages
    714 Likes Received
    Did you listen to Romo's interview when he said in this offense "I need the receiver to be in the right spot and on time."?

Don't misunderstand my comments here, it's not like he's not throwing blindly out there all the time but there have been plenty of times where his primary reads were covered and he goes to secondary ones and loses sight of defenders.
  14. Bluestang

5,511 Messages
    714 Likes Received

Trolling?
  15. rickjameschinaclub

1,222 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Wait, only QBs 6 foot 2 and less lose sight of defenders when going to their second read? How does that explain Drew Bledsoe chucking up INTs left and right.

Romo is referring to a timing-based route and suddenly somebody wants to throw in height as an issue in relation to what Romo is talking about.. Like I said before, even Romo will be thrown under the bust to defend this clown of a coach.
  16. rickjameschinaclub

1,222 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Jason Garrett defense down to the last breath?
  17. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,312 Messages
    1,206 Likes Received
    not in their blocking stances. 6'6" is really tall for an interior OL. Those guys usually stay 6'3" or so.

all that said a big headed Texas Tech OL ruined my Saturday. LOL.
    doege was tossing a short screen, it hit the OL in the helmet as he was wandering in the area, bounced right to a Bear defender and was returned for 6.
  18. Kilyin

Kilyin Well-Known Member

8,040 Messages
    242 Likes Received
    No, I didn't hear that interview, but wouldn't pretty much every other QB in the NFL say the same thing?

Also, something I found to be interesting about the Packers...

The Packers haven't shown much interest in height (Brett Favre, Rodgers, Flynn, Brohm are all 6'2") and weren't swayed at all from grabbing Rodgers when they had the chance and he's been a perfect fit.

http://www.fieldgulls.com/2012/5/3/2989792/seahawks-russell-wilson-nfl-draft-qb-height
  19. Bluestang

5,511 Messages
    714 Likes Received
    Until you post something relevant IMO, your just trolling...as usual.
  20. Bluestang

5,511 Messages
    714 Likes Received
    It depends on the scheme.

Josh Sitton 6'3", Jeff Saturday 6'2", T.J. Lang 6'4"