1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

YR's My Meaningless Thoughts On The Offense...

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Yakuza Rich, Nov 26, 2012.

1. Bluestang

Bluestang Well-Known Member

4,821 Messages
    74 Likes Received
    Yes.

The way Callahan is coaching the OTs to take the rushers past the front of the pocket I wouldn't run any bootlegs or rollouts. That's like an automatic sack for the defense.
  2. Kilyin

Kilyin Well-Known Member

8,020 Messages
    222 Likes Received
    Then based on everything we've talked about and the flaws in our offense, why hasn't the scheme been adjusted? Why can't our coaches design a play that's blocked for Romo to roll out of the pocket? You know, "Romo friendly".

I'm really not being sarcastic here. I guess YR is right, we just don't know how to make ANY adjustments, or Garrett is just too stubborn.
  3. McLovin

McLovin Well-Known Member

2,430 Messages
    306 Likes Received
    Never underestimate the stubbornness of someone who thinks they are so smart they can baffle you w/ BS and deflect when it fails.

I have said this for 4 years.
  4. Bluestang

4,821 Messages
    74 Likes Received
    Rollout plays usually leave the backside defender to chase the QB, do you really want that down after down, snap after snap?

Romo friendly should also include running the ball but we flat out suck at that. Romo is not learning any new scheme anytime soon, he's fine in this one and just needs better blockers upfront.

Shanahan has actually tailored his scheme to RG3's Baylor offense. He's slowly inserted his WCO plays to bring him along. But now you are talking about a rookie who is being developed into the scheme, which is entirely different than trying to teach-up a veteran.

Coaches just don't switch up their scheme entirely, they find the personnel to make it work.
  5. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,179 Messages
    1,449 Likes Received
    Your first paragraph contradicts your second one. When has Shanahan ever run that read option before this year? Never. Why do you think he suddenly did that?

Good coaches may not "switch up their schemes entirely", but they absolutely adjust their play calls to fit their personnel. That's coaching 101.
  6. Kilyin

Kilyin Well-Known Member

8,020 Messages
    222 Likes Received
    No, but once in awhile a designed bootleg works wonders for a QB that can move and 'can't see over the linemen'.

I'm not really talking about a new scheme or a new offense, just one that adopts some more plays to take advantage of Romo's strengths. By the numbers you've posted here he's a better QB outside of the pocket. Why is it unfathomable that we could design some plays around that?

Shannahan has definitely designed his offense around RG3. He never ran all these college option plays prior to this season. I've watched a lot of Redskins games and he has most definitely switched up (modified) his scheme. Whether you want to credit him or Kyle, there's really no denying that.
  7. Bluestang

4,821 Messages
    74 Likes Received
    2012 Romo:

Outside the Numbers Left:

minus yds - 9 att, 8 cmp, 31 yds, 1 TD

0-9 yds - 54 att, 40 cmp, 327 yds, 1 TD, 1 INT

10-19 yds - 34 att, 19 cmp, 290 yds, 3 TDs, 1 INT

20+ yds - 13 att, 7 cmp, 260 yds, 2 TDs

Outside the Numbers Right:

minus yds - 6 att, 5 cmp, 43 yds

0-9 yds - 44 att, 35 cmp, 287 yds, 1 INT

10-19 yds - 45 att, 27 cmp, 510 yds, 1 TD, 5 INT

20+ yds - 17 att, 3 cmp, 95 yds, 1 TD, 1 INT

Middle:

minus yds - 17 att, 13 cmp, 51 yds, 1 INT

0-9 yds - 159 att, 130 cmp, 1054 yds 3 TDs/3 INTs

10-19 yds - 45 att, 27 cmp, 510 yds 1 TD/5 INTs

20+ yds - 17 att, 3 cmp, 95 yds 1 TD/ 1 INT

2011 Romo:

Outside the Numbers Left:

minus yds - 26 att, 22 cmp, 194 yds

0-9 yds - 51 att, 36 cmp, 221 yds, 3 TD

10-19 yds - 29 att, 16 cmp, 239 yds, 2 TDs, 1 INT

20+ yds - 16 att, 4 cmp, 114 yds, 2 TDs

Middle Inside the Numbers:

minus yds - 34 att, 30 cmp, 163 yds, 2 TDs

0-9 yds - 136 att, 106 cmp, 1029 yds, 4 TDs, 3 INT

10-19 yds - 48 att, 28 cmp, 462 yds, 4 TDs

20+ yds - 18 att, 13 cmp, 559 yds, 2 TDs, 2 INTs

Outside the Numbers Right:

minus yds - 18 att, 18 cmp, 106 yds

0-9 yds - 62 att, 43 cmp, 396 yds, 2 TDs, 1 INT

10-19 yds - 31 att, 15 cmp, 227 yds, 1 TD, 3 INT

20+ yds - 27 att, 15 cmp, 493 yds, 9 TD
  8. Bluestang

4,821 Messages
    74 Likes Received
    Shanahan is still running his WCO plays but in order to help his 1st year rookie he took pages out of the Baylor playbook and used them in his own. That is good coaching, to get your QB comfortable in the new scheme. You run some bread and butter plays he ran at Baylor.

I guess I said it wrong, but in the long term Shanahan will use that option read less and less when defenses start to counter it and RG3 takes some serious blows.

Look at how Cam Newton has faired in year 2 of that type of offense.
  9. proline

proline Active Member

1,377 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    So would Orton's skillset do well in our current offense and with our current players?
  10. Zman5

Zman5 Well-Known Member

4,719 Messages
    469 Likes Received

What you just wrote is that Shanny has adjusted his offense to help out the rookie get his feet wet in the NFL by incorporating plays that RG3 is comfortable with and good at now. Once the defenses start to counter, Shanny will make adjustments and use the option read less and less.

What you described is called adjusting your offense to the personnel. Something that JG refuses to do.
  11. Bluestang

4,821 Messages
    74 Likes Received

So what exactly would you switch to with a crappy OL?

We can't run block worth a damn and we are pretty average at pass blocking.

Please show me an offense that can function under those circumstances.
  12. Bluestang

4,821 Messages
    74 Likes Received
    Percyhoward - There is your information that validates your point in post #107.

The player, whoever that is, that is lining up in the traditonal "Z" spot of the formation has had very, very poor production.

Note: Dallas will flip the X and Z, so the Z receiver is always on side where Witten is lined up.

2012: Romo - 20+ yds - 17 att, 3 cmp, 95 yds, 1 TD, 1 INT

2011: Romo - 20+ yds - 27 att, 15 cmp, 493 yds, 9 TD

That would be Austin and Bryant in your 12 and 21 sets and KO in your posse sets.
  13. Zman5

Zman5 Well-Known Member

4,719 Messages
    469 Likes Received
    As many has mentioned (me included), stop using long slow developing WR routes. How about if a play works, sticking with it until the defense stop it?

On Talking Cowboys today, Broaddus talks about this. He mentions all week Cowboys practiced a stretch run play. They ran it with Dunbar and he got 8 yards. They never ran it again. Broaddus wants to know why JG doesn't stick to plays that works.
  14. Bluestang

4,821 Messages
    74 Likes Received
    Running the ball sort of went out of the window in the 2nd qtr don't you think trailing 25 pts?

I counted 19 passing plays of 31 total plays (minus kickoffs and punts) in the 1st half of the WAS game that had a receiver that ran a route that was 5 yds or less and they were stick routes, smokes, drags, in/outs, or slants. Austin, Bryant, Witten, Beasley, and Harris all ran those routes.

Romo didn't always go to the short route guy.

Sending everybody on a route that is 5 yds or less is flat out ********. No offense in the NFL or NCAA operates like that.
  15. Zman5

Zman5 Well-Known Member

4,719 Messages
    469 Likes Received
    Sending 2 WRS on a 30 yard routes on 3 and 10 is even more ********. Shorting the routes doesn't mean sending everyone out to 5 yard routes.

Dunbar's run came when the score was 14-3. It was a play right before Dez's fumble. Far from game being out of reach.

Did you even read what I wrote? Stop making crap up to support your boy JG.
  16. Beast_from_East

Beast_from_East Well-Known Member

13,905 Messages
    1,688 Likes Received
    So its either get a new HC or get a new QB?

Bye Opie.
  17. Beast_from_East

13,905 Messages
    1,688 Likes Received
    Garrett is trying to run this team like its a freaking Madden franchise with 90+ starters in every position.

Its never going to work, you cant operate an NFL team this way.
  18. Beast_from_East

13,905 Messages
    1,688 Likes Received

Orton?

Seriously?

Wow.
  19. CowboyMcCoy

CowboyMcCoy Business is a Boomin

12,749 Messages
    234 Likes Received
    Nostalgia.
  20. Bluestang

4,821 Messages
    74 Likes Received

Do you even know what you wrote? 30 yds? LOL...OK.

So if Dez doesn't fumble the ball and we score what then? You just listed one of the problems this team has had all year - turnovers.

And what happens when someone is tackled 3 yds short of the 3rd and 10...is that successful play calling too?

The real problem is why are you facing a 3rd and 10 in the first place.