1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

YR's My Meaningless Thoughts On The Offense...

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Yakuza Rich, Nov 26, 2012.

1. McLovin

McLovin Well-Known Member

2,662 Messages
    452 Likes Received
    not really, his arm isnt much (if any) stronger than Romo's and he isnt mobile
  2. Zman5

Zman5 Well-Known Member

4,794 Messages
    580 Likes Received
    Huh? What the he11 does that supposed to mean? Your boy Opie actually did that in the Clevand game. Yes he sent Ogletree and Austin on a 30 yard route near each other. On 3rd and 10. The jokes on JG and his blind worshipers like you.

Nothing if they run a 15 yard route on 3rd and 10. Maybe you are math challenged and can't grasp the concept. On 3rd and 10, you can run more than just a 30 yard or a 5 yard route. You can actually run a 15 yard route.

That's because your genius doesn't have a clue on how to adjust his crappy offense to the personnel.
  3. Bluestang

Bluestang Well-Known Member

4,864 Messages
    99 Likes Received
    [IMG]

Witten, Austin, and Bryant all running routes 5 yds or less.

[IMG]

Austin running a pick play with Cole Beasley.

[IMG]

This is usually the results of screens, when we try to run them. Harris gets 3 yds but then a false start penalty on 3rd down makes it 3rd and 12.

[IMG]

Notice Dez at the top, where he's running a hitch option. This is the play where Romo hits Austin in the back of the endzone and doesn't come down with it and takes a shot. 3rd down and your taking a shot at the endzone. Neither Witten or Dez are making the first down, and keeping Dez as a hitch option will keep the corner from cluttering the endzone with more traffic while Harris will draw the safety's attention.

This was all in the first drive.
  4. Bluestang

4,864 Messages
    99 Likes Received
    [IMG]

Romo's ball is batted down, with Witten open and room to get to the sideline.

[IMG]

Beasley is open underneath but Romo throws the ball to Harris who picks up the first down on a 15 yd out route.

[IMG]

Behind the chains because of a penalty, JG is in another passing situation. Felix is wide open as the checkdown with plenty of room but Romo tries to hit Witten on a seam route and the ball is overthrown.

[IMG]

3rd and 15 and Romo takes the checkdown underneath to Vickers. Another penalty that the offense in a bad situation.
  5. Bluestang

4,864 Messages
    99 Likes Received
    [IMG]

Beasley ran an out route and picks up 4 yds. But Witten has already made his break.

[IMG]

This is another pick play with Witten freeing up Beasley, 3rd and 5 and JG and Romo are going underneath to Beasley who is about 1 yd past the LOS - he picks up the 1st down BTW.

[IMG]

At the top of the screen Bryant and Beasley are running slants together while Witten is running his 5 yd stick route. This is the play where Bryant catches the ball and he would go on and fumble.

What is the pattern here?
  6. ConstantReboot

ConstantReboot Well-Known Member

2,013 Messages
    391 Likes Received
    This is one of the best post of the year. YR you nailed it about Garrett's offense and why we aren't succeeding with what we got in this offense.

I've mentioned many times before that all that Garrett needs to do is get Romo out of the pocket with a bootleg or play action. Even though our run game is not quite as effective, when you put Romo behind the center, it makes the defense have to play the run and thus the passrusher won't be teeing off on Romo being in the pocket.

Garrett thinks his outsmarting everyone or that he just has no clue on how to create plays to match this offense. I think he just doesn't know and is overwhelmed being head coach. Just give the playcalling to Callahan and migrate over to a WC offense. If Garrett did that, I think he will earn more respect from the fans for changing it up and might retain his tag as a "genius."
  7. FuzzyLumpkins

FuzzyLumpkins The Boognish

15,369 Messages
    778 Likes Received
    We had 3 probowlers in Gurode, Adams and what was clearly Davis' best year as well as two solid starters in Colombo and Kosier. That line was a talented power running game line.
  8. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

27,755 Messages
    3,734 Likes Received
    These two posts, back to back, are CZ in a nutshell. It's unbelievable sometimes.
  9. FuzzyLumpkins

FuzzyLumpkins The Boognish

15,369 Messages
    778 Likes Received
    It's called hubris on a subject that they have very little knowledge and certainly no professional knowledge concerning. It's funny. When Sturm criticizes Garrett's playcalling, he actually talks about the plays being run. What i see most people here do is talk about the stuff they would've run or claims of people guessing whether its a run or a pass.

Straight up hubris and straight up ignorant.
  10. Bluestang

4,864 Messages
    99 Likes Received

Long time Fuzzy hope all is well.

Just on the subject of Sturm's articles, he also realizes the limitations that his offense has and to be honest any NFL offense would too.
  11. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

27,755 Messages
    3,734 Likes Received
    It's like a Walking Dead episode in some threads. And that has nothing to do with being a positive or negative poster. It's just that some really, really good arguments get swept aside for absolutely no reason without being addressed because they don't fit whatever the prevailing storyline is for the week. It's weird to watch, though, because it's group-think (or maybe group-un-think) in action. And it's powerful.

Brains. Heh. Playcalling. Heh. Lookout, there's one behind you.
  12. IrishAnto

IrishAnto Well-Known Member

1,010 Messages
    146 Likes Received
    You sir have hit the nail on the head IMHO.

However it’s not just the offense, the defense is just as bad.

I mean even before the injuries started to pile up, the defense was averaging less than one turnover per game.

Outside of Pasqualoni’s half a season in charge in 2010 this team has be lousy at generating turnovers and to my mind it’s because we don’t know how best to use the talent we do possess
  13. proline

proline Active Member

1,377 Messages
    1 Likes Received

Good talk. Care to elaborate?

Yes, I'm seriously asking the question. He's a solid pro. People say he could be starting on other teams. He's taller than Romo, and at least in preseason seemed to have a decent grasp of the offense.
  14. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

40,911 Messages
    1,185 Likes Received
    Very simple. Orton needs more time to throw then romo does and is a lot less slippery

So he would get twice the sacks easily
  15. Oh_Canada

Oh_Canada Well-Known Member

5,716 Messages
    330 Likes Received
    I'm glad someone looked at the film and pointed out what many observers and people on this board have said repeatedley. The oline isn't horrible, they are getting no help from the genius OC which is making their jobs infintely harder.
    Once Costa is back, and Dockery is back to the bench where he belongs it will continue to improve, problem is the OC doesn't appear to be fixable.

I also want to see more Hanna. We saw Beasley/Harris show they can play in this league, why not incorporate more sets and looks for a TE who can cause major mismatch opportunities with his speed? Broaddus mentioned on twitter that he and Orton were killing on the scout team. Something tells me of course we'll probably never see him until his FA year and than we'll let him walk to the Redskins where he'll have a career year with another divisonal rival.
  16. IrishAnto

IrishAnto Well-Known Member

1,010 Messages
    146 Likes Received
    Boy you sure are putting a lot of faith in Costa making the whole line a lot better and while he might be better that what’s on the field at the moment it doesn’t make him good enough.

Quite frankly I’ve more faith in Killer Kowalski being a better player but neither have been able to stay healthy and there isn’t enough body of work from either to say they’re the answer at centre.
  17. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

40,911 Messages
    1,185 Likes Received
    Canada has been a happy fan on the O line all year long. You don't really expect him to admit he was wrong.

When you are 32nd out of 32 teams in rushing your O line is clearly not good at all.

Horrible- maybe not. But some here are proud of the fact that the O line is not horrible.

Talk about low standards
  18. nake

nake Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

4,045 Messages
    761 Likes Received
    I think a reasonable person would say last out of 32 is horrible. It is as bad as it can get.
  19. Yakuza Rich

Yakuza Rich Well-Known Member

11,585 Messages
    599 Likes Received
    I think our O-Line has generally pass protected decent. I just have a hard time counting on Costa because he was terrible last season. He did look exceptional against the Ravens, playing the center position exactly like you would want somebody to play it. But, it was really just 1 game against a Ravens team that was struggling badly against the run.

And, he's been injured this entire year. This is his chance to shine and he's been injured for roughly 90% of the season.

Given that and our organization's struggles with finding quality O-Linemen, it's difficult for me to be too optimistic about Costa. And I personally don't understand the Benardeau love either.

YR
  20. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Well-Known Member

2,568 Messages
    295 Likes Received
    In the Washington game, the offense ran 84% of its plays from the Shotgun formation with the 3WR, 1 TE, 1 RB personal.

They ran 12 plays under center.