1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: yS:Owners approve salary cap reductions

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by cowboyjoe, Mar 27, 2012.

1. cowboyjoe

cowboyjoe Well-Known Member

28,103 Messages
    90 Likes Received
    By BARRY WILNER, AP Pro Football Writer 11 minutes ago

PALM BEACH, Fla. (AP)—NFL owners ratified the agreement between the league and players’ union that takes away $36 million in salary cap space from the Redskins and $10 million from the Cowboys.

Other than Dallas and Washington, no club voted Tuesday to oppose the agreement, which raised the salary cap for 2012 from about $113 million to $120.6 million. The Cowboys and Redskins have sought arbitration, which will be conducted by University of Pennsylvania professor Stephen Burbank.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?sl...ort&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Both teams were penalized for overloading contracts in the 2010 uncapped season despite league warnings not to do so. Each must take at least half the reduction this year.
  2. zrinkill

zrinkill Diamond surrounded by trash

32,855 Messages
    621 Likes Received
    I would be so pissed if I was Jerry.

Ungrateful wretches.
  3. cowboyjoe

28,103 Messages
    90 Likes Received
    got this off of a twiiter source, can post twitters name though:
    . The owners voted 29-0 today (not BEFORE a lawsuit) to agree to the Cap Sanctions.
  4. Arch Stanton

Arch Stanton it was the grave marked unknown right beside

6,475 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Good to know it's been ratified after FA has already started.
  5. cowboyjoe

28,103 Messages
    90 Likes Received
    Clarence Hill‏@clarencehilljrReply
    Retweet

Favorite
    · Open

one team abstained from the vote uphold the cap penalties against cowboys and redskins. it wasnt the raiders. mark davis said his team voted
  6. cowboyjoe

28,103 Messages
    90 Likes Received
    Eye on Football‏@EyeOnNFLReply
    Retweet

Favorite
    · Open

Owners go 29-0 in favor of Skins/Boys penalties. Our @realfreemancbs reports it was Bucs who abstained http://cbsprt.co/HaLqZx
  7. FuzzyLumpkins

FuzzyLumpkins The Boognish

16,010 Messages
    1,709 Likes Received
    The thing is that if they had rejected the cap then the season would have been called into question. They approved the salary cap which is not the same thing as approving the penalty. Mara tied the two together to muddy the waters and force all parties to accept it.

Thats also how Goodell was able to say that the owners did not formally approve the punishment.
  8. Teague31

Teague31 Defender of the Star

6,281 Messages
    503 Likes Received
    They are clearly biased since they all got extra $ from the screw job
  9. jimnabby

jimnabby Well-Known Member

3,627 Messages
    456 Likes Received
    Ah, that explains it. I couldn't understand why we took any of it this year.
  10. Joshmil53

Joshmil53 Active Member

2,561 Messages
    23 Likes Received
    I don't know much about all this legal junk going on, but can Jerry still do anything?
  11. Hostile

Hostile Peace Zone Supporter

118,504 Messages
    1,790 Likes Received
    Yes, it is still going to arbitration before a panel at Pennsylvania.

The NFL cannot win this one. They screwed up badly.
  12. rkell87

rkell87 Well-Known Member

7,353 Messages
    124 Likes Received
    makes sense that tampa abstained, seems to me they got the biggest competitive advantage of the uncapped year by spending so little that they had the most room this year and got some of the biggest free agents
  13. RXP

RXP Well-Known Member

2,531 Messages
    784 Likes Received
    The Poliburo has spoken.

Hopefully the arbitrator is more sensible than the Communists.
  14. AmishCowboy

AmishCowboy if you ain't first, you're last

4,337 Messages
    41 Likes Received
    I hope Jerry and Dan hammer them and get the cap space back, have $2 million removed from everyones cap and receive draft picks for the damages.
  15. cowboyjoe

28,103 Messages
    90 Likes Received
    Thats what I want, get the money back, with punitive damages of extra cap money at 10 % and extra draft picks in this years draft if done in time before the 2012 draft. Say a 3rd, (thats as high as you can go i think in compensation picks) and a 5th and a 7th. I would be extremely happy then, while at the same time,. John Mara has to make a public apology to the Cowboys and Skins as well as the fans of those teams. Goodell has to apologize too.
  16. Rockytop6

Rockytop6 Well-Known Member

2,072 Messages
    83 Likes Received
    I hope if the NFL wins that JJ and Danny will persue it in the courts. I'm quite sure the NFL could not win in court. My dislike meter used to read: Eagles, Redskins, Giants. How the meter is through the roof and the Giants are at the head of the list. I also hope that the Commissioner will be so embarrassed in court that he has to resign. I believe in structures where there is a responsible leader, but I have a strong aversion to arrogant people who try to force their wills upon other people rather than following by-laws and policy.
  17. WPBCowboysFan

WPBCowboysFan Well-Known Member

5,375 Messages
    1,664 Likes Received
    Goodell isnt going anywhere and he isnt going to apologize. Mara will not apologize.

The Boys and Skins will not be getting loads of draft picks.

The arbitrator will most likely rule in the favor of Jerruh and Danny Boy, but the expectations of severe punishments for Mara and Goodell, all the extra draft picks, etc. is just not likely.

The 10 and 36 million dollar cap penalties will probably be thrown out - but its crazy to expect much more.
  18. Luckenbach

Luckenbach Member

91 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    What about Julius Peppers and the Bears? What made that one okay? Is it because they didn't exceed a make believe Cap number? Because they front loaded even more than us...
  19. cowboyjoe

28,103 Messages
    90 Likes Received
    Disagree, if it goes to court, which could, but saying that I think the artitrator will rule in favor of oowboys and skins. Yet, if does go to court, a judge could order that Goodell and Mara apologize on national tv. If a judge orders you to do something, you have to do it, or face contempt of court and face jail time etc...

So, goodell and mara could be forced to apologize, but has to be a judge to oder that. Dont think an arbitrator can force you to do that though.
  20. cowboyjoe

28,103 Messages
    90 Likes Received
    Disagree, dont arbitrator most of the time give punitive damages to person that has filed a claim and if they win, most of the time their is some sort of punitive damages settlement on top of what is filed on for claim?