1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Zell MIller: Telling It Like It Is

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by trickblue, Sep 13, 2004.

1. trickblue

trickblue Old Testament... Zone Supporter

28,850 Messages
    318 Likes Received
    Link

Telling It Like It Is
    I will never trust John Kerry with my family's safety.

BY ZELL MILLER
    Monday, September 13, 2004 12:01 a.m. EDT

My critics in the national media are working overtime trying to paint me as an angry nut who got the facts all wrong in my speech to the Republican National Convention. Since there's not enough time to challenge all of these critics to a duel, let me set the record straight here and now.

First, the anger. A lot has been said about my angry demeanor. I've made enough speeches to know that you're supposed to connect with the audience by telling a joke or a humorous anecdote or some amusing tale. It's a tried-and-true formula that I've used for most of my life. But this was not a normal speech in a normal time.

Today, we are at the most serious moment of history that we may ever know, and I wanted to connect with the seriousness of this moment, not the audience.

Now, about those facts. I charged that John Kerry is weak on national security, and I listed some of the many weapons systems he has opposed over the years. My critics tripped over themselves to point out that Dick Cheney opposed some of the same weapons systems when he was defense secretary.

But, like with so many things in life, timing is everything. Mr. Kerry was proposing the cancellation of many of these weapons systems at the height of the Cold War--the worst possible time to weaken our military strength. It would be comparable to a senator in 1943 proposing to scrap the B-29 Bomber or Sherman tank or Higgins landing craft. By contrast, Mr. Cheney waited until after we had won the Cold War to propose modernizing our forces and replacing older weapons systems. There's a huge difference. Whether it's the Cold War of yesterday or the war on terror today, Mr. Kerry has sought time and time again to weaken our military at the exact moment we need to show our strength.

I also charged that John Kerry and his fellow Democratic leaders see America as an occupier, not a liberator, and that nothing makes this old Marine madder. My critics pounced on that one, too. Aren't you aware, they sneered, that President Bush has used the term "occupiers"?

Do they mean when the president said this in April?--"As a proud and independent people, Iraqis do not support an indefinite occupation--and neither does America. We're not an imperial power, as nations such as Japan and Germany can attest. We are a liberating power." Are the people of Iraq not liberated from a terrible dictator? Did we not transfer sovereignty over to the Iraqi people exactly when we said we would?

John Kerry and his crowd derisively call American troops "occupiers" because it fits with their warped belief that America is the problem, not the solution. While more than 50 million people in Afghanistan and Iraq are enjoying freedom, Mr. Kerry is still fretting over whether the U.N. crowd likes us or not. The American people will not abide a commander in chief who gets squeamish over America's role as a liberating force in the world.

And my critics love to point out that I had nice things to say about John Kerry when I introduced him to a Georgia Democratic dinner in 2001. That's true and I meant it. But, again, timing is everything. I made that introduction in March 2001--six months before terrorists attacked this country on Sept. 11. As I have said time and again, 9/11 changed everything. Everything, that is, except the national Democrats' shameful, manic obsession with bringing down a commander in chief. John Kerry has been wrong many times, but he's never been more wrong than in his failure to support our troops and our commander in chief in this war on terror.

So, my critics can call me a psychopath and fire spitballs at me and froth at the mouth when an ex-president sends me a nasty letter. That's the freedom of speech they all enjoy, courtesy of the American soldier. But for David Gergen and this newspaper's Al Hunt, among others, to call me a racist was especially hurtful. For they know better. They know I worked for three governors in a row, not just one: Carl Sanders, Lester Maddox and Jimmy Carter. They knew I was the first governor to try to remove the Confederate emblem from the Georgia flag. And by the way, when I called each of Georgia's former governors to tell them what I was about to attempt, Jimmy Carter's first question to me was, "What are you doing that for?" Mr. Gergen and Mr. Hunt also know I appointed the only African-American attorney general in the country in the 1990s and more African Americans to the state judiciary than all the other governors of Georgia combined, including that one from Plains.

So, they can call me names and ridicule my angry demeanor all day long. But facts are facts. And the fact is, John Kerry has a long record of proposals to weaken our national security in a time of war. And I would never put my family's safety in those hands.

Mr. Miller is a Democratic senator from Georgia.
  2. 31WillHammerU

31WillHammerU New Member

443 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Powerful stuff.
  3. Eric_Boyer

Eric_Boyer Well-Known Member

4,540 Messages
    313 Likes Received
    Today, we are at the most serious moment of history that we may ever know, and I wanted to connect with the seriousness of this moment, not the audience.

Too bad he doesn't understand the true danger we are in.

It isn't about weak third world countries killing 3000 people every decade or so out of hatred for us. Don't get me wrong, it is wrong to do so and I hate to see such a thing happen.

The problem is that our real problem is the decay of government. They get elected based on promises to spend our money and ignore the real threat, a national debt so large that it jeopardizes the viability of our once proud republic.

I don't trust Zell Miller to be honest about the real problems this nation faces. He is part of the problem.
  4. wileedog

wileedog Well-Known Member

10,066 Messages
    769 Likes Received
    Translation: I was accused of spewing a hate-filled rant full of empty rhetoric with no basis in fact, so to defend myself I'm writing a lightly less hate-filled rant full of empty rhetoric with no basis in fact.

Oh damn! My 15 mintutes are almost up!
  5. CowboyPrincess

CowboyPrincess Priceless

4,610 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Great lunchtime reading...

I love how he gets back in their faces and calls them out on what has been said about him. No matter who he's pulling for, he has strong beliefs and isn't afraid to share them, even if it means looking fellow dems in the face and telling them they are wrong.

Honestly, I wish more politicians were willing to cross party lines and be vocal when they know somethings wrong and not just sit back quietly as to not upset the party they are in.

IMO

anyway... back to work
  6. Eric_Boyer

4,540 Messages
    313 Likes Received
    Unfortunately, his knowledge of history leaves much to be desired.

1) The cold war was over in 1990...before the appropriation bills in question were voted on.

2) We didn't drop any bombs as part of the cold war. This makes his anaolgy to WWII pretty poor.

3) Kerry was never part of the "occupier" crowd. Time to put that lie to bed once and for all.
  7. Eric_Boyer

4,540 Messages
    313 Likes Received
    And my critics love to point out that I had nice things to say about John Kerry when I introduced him to a Georgia Democratic dinner in 2001. That's true and I meant it. But, again, timing is everything. I made that introduction in March 2001--six months before terrorists attacked this country on Sept. 11. As I have said time and again, 9/11 changed everything. Everything, that is, except the national Democrats' shameful, manic obsession with bringing down a commander in chief. John Kerry has been wrong many times, but he's never been more wrong than in his failure to support our troops and our commander in chief in this war on terror.

Talk about hypocrites. Kerry was in favor of Iraq war. Why is he being critical of what Kerry did prior to 9/11?

Doesn't his lame excuse work for everybody else?
  8. Wheat

Wheat Philosopher

2,924 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Guy put himself in a bad situation for the rest of his career. He could jump sides and just be another turncoat who'll never get a lot more since there is a chance he goes loosy goosey again. Or he can stay put and get muscled out of the committees he's already in.

Didn't the GOP have some of their main players to speak? I mean, it was all middle of the road types. I'm not sure what their message is. What happened to the days of "If you're hiding terrorists......then we'll consider you one of them."?

Did that end when we found out Saudi Arabia is worse than Iraq?
  9. Eric_Boyer

4,540 Messages
    313 Likes Received
    jump "sides" all you want.

But be honest when you do it.

Zell isn't honest. He is a liar.
  10. Midswat

Midswat Benched

2,508 Messages
    0 Likes Received

Well . . . he is a democrat, afterall . . .
  11. trickblue

trickblue Old Testament... Zone Supporter

28,850 Messages
    318 Likes Received
    Welcome to the political side of this site Middie... we have lots os spirited discussions here...

Look forward to you adding your .02...
  12. BulletBob

BulletBob The Godfather

2,167 Messages
    63 Likes Received
    Dude, he's retiring this year.