1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Zimmer Blurb

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by junk, Jan 23, 2006.

1. 31WillHammerU

31WillHammerU New Member

443 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    He is still working on it as we speak.

BTW, according to Payton...

Hmmm.
  2. ghst187

ghst187 Well-Known Member

5,545 Messages
    133 Likes Received
    say what you want but Zimmer has the players to have a much better defense that we had this year...not that it was bad. We were actually very good, didn't give up a lot of point save the skins game.
    However, we gave up 2:00 minute drives almost everytime when the other team needed them and we couldn't get a blitzer to the QB when we went all out blitzes. Ware should've had 12 sacks. And there were a good number of games where pathetic running teams had field days against us...
    Raiders, Philthy, etc.
    I don't think our defense was bad, I actually think it was pretty good. But I think (and I think I speak for a lot of the GROZ folks here) that we had the personnel to create more sacks and turnovers and wreck more havoc on the opposition than we did. I think its frustrating to many of us that our defense doesn't attack more. Its frustrating to have one of the league's top run stopping, big hitting SS constantly back in coverage. It's frustrating to stuff a team for 58 minutes, only to give up a last minute drive to lose. Its frustrating to see the talent of Ware and Ellis not have double digit sacks or our DBs not have more INTs. I think those are the majority of our griefs with Zimmer.
  3. junk

junk I've got moxie

9,289 Messages
    240 Likes Received
    I see what you are saying, but the thing that blows my mind is that no one holds Parcells accountable for this at all. There is this perception that if Zimmer leaves, Parcells is suddenly going to unfurl this ultra aggressive, blitzing defense.

I just don't see it. I think BP taught Zim this defense, helped him design blitz packages and helped him with play calling. Why the heck else would you dictate that a coordinator change schemes unless you made sure it was run the way you wanted? Doesn't even make any sense.

I don't think Parcells went 3-4 because he thinks it looks prettier on the field.

Of course, if there ever was an aggressive defense in Dallas, we'd hear tons of whining and complaining when it would get beat for a big play.