1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Zogby, 2pt Obama lead

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by dbair1967, Oct 8, 2008.

1. dbair1967

dbair1967 Arch Defender

30,783 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Released: October 08, 2008
    Reuters/C-SPAN/Zogby Poll:
    Obama 47%, McCain 45%

The telephone tracking poll shows neither candidate with a clear advantage in the national horserace

UTICA, New York - The race for President of the United States remains far too close to call between Democrat Barack Obama and Republican John McCain as both candidates head toward the finish line, a recent Reuters/C-SPAN/Zogby daily tracking telephone polls shows.

Data from this poll is available here

The survey, including a three-day sample of 1,220 likely voters collected over the previous three days - approximately 400 per day from Oct. 5-7, 2008 - shows that Obama holds a slight advantage amounting to 1.9 percentage points over McCain. This represents a bit of a recovery by McCain, who had been sliding in some polls before his running mate, Sarah Palin, put in a strong performance in her one and only debate performance last Thursday.

Three Day Tracking Poll
    10-7
    10-6

Obama
    47.1%
    47.7%

McCain
    45.2%
    45.3%

Others/Not sure
    7.7%
    7.0%

The Reuters/C-SPAN/Zogby poll, was conducted before Tuesday's Obama-McCain debate. It was performed by live telephone operators in Zogby's in-house call center in Upstate New York, included a total of 1,220 likely voters nationwide, and carries a margin of error of +/- 2.8 percentage points.

Candidates Doing Well Among Their Own Party Members

The two candidates are doing well at attracting support from their own partisans - Obama is winning 84% of the Democratic Party support and McCain is winning 85% of the Republican Party support - but Obama has the edge among independent voters. He leads McCain among independents, 48 to 39%.

Obama wins support from a slightly higher percentage of conservative voters than McCain is winning from liberal voters, but the advantage is small.

Daily Tracking Continues

This daily tracking telephone poll will continue each day until the Nov. 4 election, keeping in touch with the daily twists and turns in the race for the White House. The running poll of about 1,200 likely voters consists of three days of polling - about 400 from each of the last three days. With each new day of polling that is folded into the poll, the oldest third of the survey is replaced with the fresh data, so the poll "tracks" movements and events in the campaigns. Keep up to date every day by visiting www.zogby.com.

For a complete methodological statement on this survey, please visit:

http://www.zogby.com/methodology/readmeth.dbm?ID=1341

(10/8/2008)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    -

[ Click Here To Join Our Online Panel ]

[ Click Here For Telephone Poll/Survey Methodology ]

[ Click Here For Interactive Poll/Survey Methodology ]

BACK TO ZOGBY IN THE MEDIA
  2. Bach

Bach Benched

7,645 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Libs flocking to post other polls in 3...2...1...
  3. zrinkill

zrinkill Diamond surrounded by trash

33,043 Messages
    788 Likes Received
    Yay!!!!

The guy I "support" is barely losing!!!!

:mad: ....... :eek::
  4. masomenos

masomenos Less is more

5,971 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Obama has an 11 point lead in Gallup polling

http://www.gallup.com/poll/107674/Gallup-Daily-Election-2008.aspx

The polls are all over the place, ranging from a 1 point Obama lead to the 11 point lead that Gallup has. The closest projection is probably the average, which is around a 5 or 6 point Obama lead nationally.

Really the important polls at this point at the polls of battleground states.
  5. Danny White

Danny White Winter is Coming

12,345 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Definitely agree. I'd also add that polls of "likely voters" are better than polls that don't make that discernment.
  6. masomenos

masomenos Less is more

5,971 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Yeah, that is also true.
  7. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

35,176 Messages
    2,021 Likes Received

:lmao2:
  8. Heisenberg

Heisenberg Pow! Pow!

9,026 Messages
    293 Likes Received
    The national polls, besides Gallup, ticked towards McCain today. Not sure what will happen tomorrow when the first post debate day is added in. The state polls are still showing Obama doing well, but if things DID start ticking towards McCain, it would be a few days before state polls started showing it. We'll see.

[IMG]
  9. adamc91115

adamc91115 New Member

738 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I believe the race is starting to tighten again, evidenced by the erratic polling.

Just a few days ago the average Obama lead was around 6.5%, it has dropped to around 5.1%.

We'll know by the end of the week if it really is just erratic polling or if its related to a tightening race.
  10. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

35,176 Messages
    2,021 Likes Received
    What does the electorial say? That is the only one that counts.
  11. masomenos

masomenos Less is more

5,971 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    There was an interesting article on FiveThiryEight.com about this. I'll see if I can find it...

12. adamc91115

adamc91115 New Member

738 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    If the overall race is tightening, the electoral college will take a few days to level off as well. The reason is that individual states only have polling every few days so it will take a bit to get an updated average.
  13. Beast_from_East

Beast_from_East Well-Known Member

15,465 Messages
    2,881 Likes Received
    Obama is only up 2 pts?

Yea, sure.

If you guys actually beleive that I have a bridge to nowhere to sell you.
  14. Heisenberg

Heisenberg Pow! Pow!

9,026 Messages
    293 Likes Received
    If I had to guess, I would think the election would closer than the last few days of polling have shown. I mean, there were polls showing Obama leading by 12. That's not going to happen.

Electoral vote wise? I have no idea. :)
  15. adamc91115

adamc91115 New Member

738 Messages
    0 Likes Received

Man have I got some ocean front property in Arizona for you if you believe Obama already locked up this election.
  16. Heisenberg

Heisenberg Pow! Pow!

9,026 Messages
    293 Likes Received
    And I have another question. Why the heck is someone polling Oklahoma? I mean, it doesn't take a rocket surgeon to figure out that it's not in play.
  17. adamc91115

adamc91115 New Member

738 Messages
    0 Likes Received

:laugh2: I was wondering the same thing.
  18. masomenos

masomenos Less is more

5,971 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I don't know if that is a mistype, an intentional joke, or the job title for a "male enhancement" doctor. Whatever the case, I :laugh2:
  19. Danny White

Danny White Winter is Coming

12,345 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Seems to be a TV station in OK... probably with too much time on their hands.
  20. trickblue

trickblue Old Testament... Zone Supporter

28,939 Messages
    356 Likes Received
    :muttley: