1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Zogby: McCain/Palin slightly in lead today

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by Angus, Aug 30, 2008.

1. Angus

Angus Active Member

5,064 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    For full report, see: http://www.zogby.com/news/ReadNews.dbm?ID=1547

Released: August 30, 2008

Zogby Poll: Equilibrium in the POTUS Race!

Brash McCain pick of AK Gov. Palin neutralizes historic Obama speech, stunts the Dems' convention bounce

UTICA, New York - Republican John McCain's surprise announcement Friday of Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin as his running mate - some 16 hours after Democrat Barack Obama's historic speech accepting his party’s presidential nomination - has possibly stunted any Obama convention bump, the latest Zogby Interactive flash poll of the race shows.

Data from this poll is available here

The latest nationwide survey, begun Friday afternoon after the McCain announcement of Palin as running mate and completed mid-afternoon today, shows McCain/Palin at 47%, compared to 45% support for Obama/Biden.

In other words, the race is a dead heat.

The interactive online Zogby survey shows that both Obama and McCain have solidified the support among their own parties - Obama won 86% support of Democrats and McCain 89% of Republicans in a two-way head-to-head poll question not including the running mates. When Biden and Palin are added to the mix, Obama's Democratic support remains at 86%, while McCain's increases to 92%.

After the McCain "Veep" announcement on Friday, Palin was almost immediately hailed as a strong conservative, and those voters have rallied to the GOP ticket, the survey shows. Republicans gather in St. Paul, Minnesota this week to officially nominate McCain and Palin as their presidential ticket.
  2. BigDFan5

BigDFan5 In Tebow I Trust

14,920 Messages
    41 Likes Received
    They wont admit it but polls like this have to worry the libs.

No bounce after his "historic" speech?

McCains team sure do know how to kill any Obamamentum
  3. adamc91115

adamc91115 New Member

738 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Thats great news for Republicans, and possibly disastrous for Democrats (granted, its only 1 poll).

Democrats have already had their boost from their convention and they're down 2% with the Republican convention still to come? This makes me feel a little better about this election. Like I said, I'll wait for more polls to actually see what the race looks like at this point.
  4. Danny White

Danny White Winter is Coming

12,345 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    This was big for McCain... not because it's getting Hillary voters, but because it locked up Republicans who were previously unsure about McCain.
  5. Dallas

Dallas Old bulletproof tiger

11,514 Messages
    1 Likes Received

HUGE !!!
  6. AbeBeta

AbeBeta Well-Known Member

25,617 Messages
    1,032 Likes Received
    Rassmussen's Daily tracking has Obama at +4

Gallup's Daily tracking has Obama at +8

Just sayin'
  7. Dallas

Dallas Old bulletproof tiger

11,514 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    8 pts. 8 pts after his State of the Union speech. The Palin announcement appears to have put a substantial kabosh on any huge pop Obama was about to get.

Bill Clinton had HUGE pops back in the day. Double what Obama has done.

Just sayin.
  8. Cajuncowboy

Cajuncowboy Preacher From The Black Lagoon

27,476 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    38 million people watched that speech, or so they say and this is what happens simply from an announcement?

Obviously most of those 38 million tuned in to see the freak show that is the DNC convention and really didn't take much from obama's speech.
  9. Signals

Signals Suspicious looking stranger

4,602 Messages
    15 Likes Received
    [IMG]
  10. Danny White

Danny White Winter is Coming

12,345 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    If McCain leaves the Republican convention up about 10 points, this election may be over. Obama needed to get more traction than he did from his big speech.

It'll be interesting to see how the hurricane may impact the news cycle for the convention.
  11. Cajuncowboy

Cajuncowboy Preacher From The Black Lagoon

27,476 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    From a political perspective postponing the convention would be wise. And from my family has been telling me, the folks in S. La are really thinking this one is going to be as bad if not worse than Katrina.
  12. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,867 Messages
    1,708 Likes Received
    It would actually look real good if we postpone the convention- a week makes no real difference and it puts the Libs on the spot when they trot out their tired old mantra about the uncaring republicans.
  13. Bonecrusher#31

Bonecrusher#31 Active Member

1,818 Messages
    10 Likes Received
    I wonder if this new Hurricane will remind the American people of how GW and his administration mishandled Katrina.....
  14. kristie

kristie Well-Known Member

7,616 Messages
    131 Likes Received
    it might. you never know.
  15. Walker

Walker Texas Ranger

504 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Thats a good point. I wonder how long after the disaster hits that it will be brought up. If its mentioned too soon then it may backfire because it may be seen as a way to get political points while people are suffering etc.
  16. iceberg

iceberg detoxed...part 2 Zone Supporter

28,394 Messages
    1,424 Likes Received
    yea, and the lack of local control over the situation makes no difference.

i honestly feel bush could have done more to help.

but i also honestly feel it wouldn't have mattered. people would have hated him regardless.

as long as we can blame someone else, we're ok.
  17. burmafrd

41,867 Messages
    1,708 Likes Received
    The screw ups that really mattered in Katrina were at the state and local level. FEMA did not do a very good job, but the situation was pretty hopeless before they could even get there due to the mess the locals and the state had made.
    Now if FEMA does a good job this time, that kind of takes the punch out of things, doesn't it?
  18. Fender

Fender Member

43 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    As I have said before Zogby isn't a very good pollster. People like Joe Scarborough said he was a joke. He polls people online. He had John Kerry winning in states that he wasn't even competing in the last go around.
  19. burmafrd

41,867 Messages
    1,708 Likes Received
    Zogby is good in some areas, not so good in others. Just like Rasmussen and Gallup. You need to look at all of them to get a halfway decent idea.
    And I really think quoting joe scarborough about anything really weakens your arguement. I put him about half a step up on Olberman.
  20. adamc91115

adamc91115 New Member

738 Messages
    0 Likes Received