1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Zolak on Vick, Bledsoe

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by Nors, Nov 1, 2005.

1. Nors

Nors Benched

22,015 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Scott Zolak ex Pat backup QB on local sports talk was addressing Vick and he made a great point. We often get on his "innacurate arm" wanting to run as issues. Zolak said in his opinion at just 6 feet Vick is not seeing the field. That it also causes major issues getting ball out when passing lanes are blocked.

He then mentioned that Drew was as big a 6-5 QB as he's ever seen and was able to see over line and get ball out over line and just see the game better.

Interesting angle from a former NFL QB..... Look at my Av.....
  2. CrazyCowboy

CrazyCowboy Well-Known Member

32,176 Messages
    151 Likes Received
    seems valid.....
  3. Crown Royal

Crown Royal Insulin Beware

10,272 Messages
    635 Likes Received
    Then how does he explain that Drew Brees is playing really, really good football?
  4. Jimz31

Jimz31 The Sarcastic One

14,235 Messages
    29 Likes Received
    Or, it could be that Vick is just a glorified RB. One that occasionally throws the ball in the air hoping it hits a WR....or is at least near a WR.

Vick has an awesome arm.....but MAN, just inaccurate as heck.
  5. Nors

Nors Benched

22,015 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Ladainlin Tomlinson, Gates and they are what 4-4? How tall is Brees?
  6. dbair1967

dbair1967 Arch Defender

30,783 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    its doubtful Steve Young was anything over 6'0 and he was a terrific passer because he could read defenses, had a pretty quick release and was very accurate...he was a QB who was also a terrific scrambler

Vick is a terrific scrambler and a lousy QB..I dont see where he's improved one iota as a QB since he came in the NFL

David
  7. Nors

Nors Benched

22,015 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Brees is also 6 ft- in the modern era few if any QB;s that short have had sustained success. Chargers so sure of Brees basically traded a #1 overall for Rivers.....
  8. Billy Bullocks

Billy Bullocks Active Member

4,075 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    Steve Young played in a West Coast system. Its 3 step drops, real quick releases. He also had great vision
  9. dbair1967

dbair1967 Arch Defender

30,783 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Vick also plays in a west coast style system, and he sux at it

David
  10. mr.jameswoods

mr.jameswoods Active Member

3,678 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Accuracy depends on two factors:

1. Delivery of the pass
    2. Reading the defense

I think his delivery is fine. His problem is that he struggles to read NFL defenses and often makes poor decisions which leads to tipped or intercepted passes. In other words, Vick's problems are more mental than they are physical.

I think the mental aspect of quarterbacking is severely downplayed. A lot of people have strong arms and can be accurate if you tell them to run a fly pattern down field. What separates an "accurate" passer from one that isn't has to do with that QB's ability to scope the field, read defenses and know where his receivers are going to be.
  11. Double Trouble

Double Trouble Well-Known Member

8,475 Messages
    244 Likes Received
    At some point it's going to dawn on Atlanta's front office that they made a huge mistake givng Vick that contract.
  12. Cowboy Junkie

Cowboy Junkie leonargized

2,512 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I think Vick adds an element that dose get over looked.
    I think his running ability helps his running backs a whole lot.
    Watching the games it seems to me that if it is a pitch to one of his backs the defense is first froze for a second to make sure Vick dose not beat them by running the ball himself .That second is huge in the NFL.
    It get Dunn or whoever past the Dline and get them a step on the linebackers.

I say this but I do not believe Vick is there yet and I do not think much of Atlanta's head coach or his Offensive coaches.
  13. dbair1967

dbair1967 Arch Defender

30,783 Messages
    0 Likes Received

:hammer:

David
  14. Nors

Nors Benched

22,015 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Matt Schaub - thats the ticket......
  15. mr.jameswoods

mr.jameswoods Active Member

3,678 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    I don't think you can blame Atlanta's coaches for Vick failing to develop as a passer. You could make Andy Reid their QB coach and Vick would still take off running. The problem is Vick's running ability is such an instinctual part of his game that it's difficult for him to be the opposite of that which is a patient passer in the pocket who only runs when he has to. Even Donovan McNabb was far more of a passer in college than Michael Vick ever was. Vick is simply not ready to accept that mentality when he is so successful running the ball. It's going to old age or an injury before that happens.
  16. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

118,715 Messages
    2,387 Likes Received
    You can take it from me, Young is over 6 feet tall. He's about 6' 2" or 6'3" I'd guess.
  17. Alexander

Alexander What's it going to be then, eh?

24,615 Messages
    4,885 Likes Received
    Every "official" source has him as 6'2".
  18. Cowboy Junkie

Cowboy Junkie leonargized

2,512 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I blame his coaches for not utilizing his talents.
    That West coast stuff is not for him....
    Vick should run and run often , like I said in above post his running helps out the other runners on his team .Also his running skills seperate him from everyone else.

I think he should only throw 15-20 passes a game. 1/3 of them deep balls.

West coast is nice if you have guys who can run after the catch and also a QB that can throw accurate short passes.
  19. Slyster

Slyster Benched

125 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    NFL Scouts should have seen what Vick had to offer when VT went against FSU. FSU shut him down because they had NFL type speed ( he broke a couple runs late in the game though ).

I am so tired of hearing " Vick wins games ". Take a look at his stats and think if he really has anything to do with the wins. The game against the Jets shows that the team wins in spite of him. That game was his average performance .
  20. SultanOfSix

SultanOfSix Star Power

8,115 Messages
    319 Likes Received
    Height is overrated. QBs pass through lanes. Vick just isn't that great. Its mostly his legs that scare people.