1. Like videos? Check out DirectDamage.com!

Zoners: what was the issue here with Brian Waters?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by CrazyCowboy, Jun 28, 2012.

1. CrazyCowboy

CrazyCowboy Well-Known Member

32,220 Messages
    233 Likes Received
    Ref below: what was the reason this asset is not on our team?

What a steal the Pats get here.......a solid veteran Guard who can still play at the top of his game.

Sometimes, as much as I love my Cowboys.....they make me sick! :bang2:

2. mmillman

mmillman Well-Known Member

2,153 Messages
    33 Likes Received
    I agree and thought Jerruh really missed an opportunity there.
  3. CrazyCowboy

CrazyCowboy Well-Known Member

32,220 Messages
    233 Likes Received
    Exactly--for only 1.5 mil cap hit we could have a solid former Pro Bowler protecting the middle of the line for Romo.

Now, we have to go to training camp hoping a UDFA rookie/FA can solidify the middle of our OL.

This one does seem like Garrett made a mistake here as Waters is a high character player that we all read the coach is looking for......what are we missing here folks?

I do not remember reading anything negative.......age?
  4. CoCo

CoCo Well-Known Member

5,603 Messages
    186 Likes Received
    Well he's certainly on the downside of his career but it was still a mistake to not grab him when opportunity came knocking.

That said, these kind of opportunities are a crap shoot. We're faced with a somewhat similar one now at #3 WR. Probably not as desperate because we have strong #1 & #2 WR's in Miles & Dez, then Witten, Murray/Felix etc. But our current #3WR candidates are all young, inexperienced & unproven. Yet we're letting all sorts of available vets sit on the market cause we don't want a progress-stopper at this point. And frankly, I agree. But its not a stretch to think this one could bite us as well.
  5. HoosierCowboy

HoosierCowboy Put Pearson in the HOF

2,127 Messages
    75 Likes Received
    come on, we could have drafted every player drafted after us in every draft and signed every FA who turned out well--didn't happen:bang2:
  6. Boyzmamacita

Boyzmamacita The Ultimate Cowbabe Zone Supporter

15,229 Messages
    2,914 Likes Received
    This. We can't lament every move made by other teams or every move the Cowboys don't make. Some free agents were signed on the O-Line. Just because they're not big name players doesn't mean they aren't the right fit for the Cowboys. Let's see how it pans out. Time will tell.
  7. rocboy22

rocboy22 Active Member

1,606 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I wanted this guy when the Chiefs let him go. Others did, too. He proved all of us right with his play last year.
  8. gmoney112

gmoney112 Well-Known Member

3,940 Messages
    1,487 Likes Received
    Maybe, just maybe he wanted to actually go to the Patriots? A Super Bowl contender? Is that so out of the realm of possibility?
  9. yentl911

yentl911 Well-Known Member

1,679 Messages
    341 Likes Received
    I think there was a push to get younger up front and the team felt the young guys would get the job done. I think this was Garrett all the way and I actually like that approach.
  10. BIGDen

BIGDen Dr. Freakasaurus

4,588 Messages
    480 Likes Received
    According to some of our insiders here, he wanted to come here but we didn't show much interest. Moronic (non) move by Dallas IMO. I really wanted us to sign him last year.
  11. Doomsay

Doomsay Well-Known Member

6,476 Messages
    1,282 Likes Received
    "OL Youth movement"

Hopefully some of last year's yutes will move on out of here and be replaced by quality players.
  12. fortdick

fortdick Well-Known Member

5,484 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    This is the answer.

Clever movie reference. I love them. "My Cousin Vinnie"

Waters was discussed here, and as I recall, the consensus was he was too old.
  13. Yeagermeister

Yeagermeister Active Member

47,576 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    IIRC he was really out of shape also
  14. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

33,254 Messages
    2,682 Likes Received
    When has that been a deterrent for Dallas?

They've signed and released Holland a number of times.
  15. gimmesix

gimmesix Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life

10,881 Messages
    1,742 Likes Received
    Could be several things involved.

Dallas had a good relationship with his head coach, and Todd Haley could have advised the Cowboys not to sign him. (Of course, the Patriots have a good relationship with the Chiefs GM.)

After releasing several over-30 players who had hit the age wall, Garrett might have said he'd rather not bring in another.

Then, it might just be something else behind the scenes that kept him out of consideration.

I don't let things like this make me sick, although I wanted Dallas to sign him, simply because I do not have enough evidence to know if the Cowboys had a good reason not to sign him. If we heard the reason, we might all go," Well, I don't agree with it, but that makes sense."
  16. Yeagermeister

Yeagermeister Active Member

47,576 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    It surprised me also
  17. skinsscalper

skinsscalper Well-Known Member

6,213 Messages
    1,082 Likes Received
    IIRC there were reports he wanted to come to Dallas (he's a Texas native).
  18. Galian Beast

Galian Beast Well-Known Member

11,392 Messages
    2,775 Likes Received
    He wanted to come here, and many of us wanted him to be signed.

He was too old but then we signed Derrick Dockery instead? He is a real spring chicken...
  19. BraveHeartFan

BraveHeartFan We got a hat. I want a ring.

24,903 Messages
    1,953 Likes Received
    Definately a missed shot there.

But I don't spend time worrying about missed shots.

They happen all the time to every team out there.

How many teams probably wish they'd had Robinson last year as a #2 or #3 WR that missed out on that?

It happens. It's part of the game of football.

I just don't get the point of worrying about or rueing things like this.
  20. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

22,942 Messages
    2,604 Likes Received
    Yep, and he is also a former Cowboys UDFA.