1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Zorn Stripped of Playcalling

Discussion in 'NFL Zone' started by Danny White, Oct 18, 2009.

1. jobberone

jobberone Save the Snow Leopard Staff Member

35,318 Messages
    2,728 Likes Received
    I'm no longer pleased with all this (other than Zorn being emasculated). I'm reveling in it. They won't be favored until maybe the Raiders game and by today's games probably not then either.
  2. bbgun

bbgun Benched

27,870 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Zorn stripped of play-calling duties

October 18, 2009 9:35 PM
    Posted by ESPN.com's Matt Mosley

Just when you thought this Redskins situation couldn't become any more bizarre, owner Dan Snyder has taken it to a different level. In the aftermath of Sunday's 14-6 loss to the Chiefs, Jim Zorn was stripped of his play-calling duties, according to the Skins' executive director of communications Zack Bolno.

Executive vice president of football operations Vinny Cerrato met with Zorn after the game and told him he thought he had too much on his plate and needed to let someone else call the plays. Zorn didn't disagree with Cerrato, according to Bolno, and the coach will meet with Snyder on Monday to decide who should call the plays. And if you think this arrangement seems completely ridiculous, I'm right there with you.

Why in the world would you keep Zorn around if he's not calling the plays? That's the whole reason Snyder hired him in the first place. He wanted him to call the plays and manage the quarterbacks. It's like Snyder's trying to get Zorn to break up with him.

If Snyder's going to strip Zorn of his play-calling duties, he might as well go ahead and fire him. I hate that Zorn actually accepted this arrangement. It makes him look so weak. Snyder's already brought in a 67-year-old offensive consultant who's been on ice for five years.

Now Zorn looks like the ultimate lame duck. Perhaps Snyder and Cerrato thought that Zorn would resign once they stripped him of his play-calling duties. But it sounds like he's going to hang in there and keep taking punches. Now the Redskins will prepare to play the Eagles without knowing who their playcaller is. Zorn will probably push for offensive coordinator Sherman Smith to get the nod, but I'd be surprised if Snyder signs off on that.

When The Washington Post reached offensive consultant Sherman Lewis on Sunday evening, he hadn't heard about Snyder's decision. The other candidate for calling plays would be assistant coach/running backs coach Stump Mitchell. And I'll throw in one more wild-card candidate. That would be offensive assistant Chris Meidt, who has worked closely with the quarterbacks since joining Zorn's staff in '08.

I'm sort of hoping Zorn sleeps on this decision tonight and then decides to resign. It just doesn't make any sense for Snyder to keep him around now that he's stripped of everything except his dignity -- and I'm afraid that's next.
  3. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

27,959 Messages
    3,903 Likes Received
    :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2:
  4. Heisenberg

Heisenberg Pow! Pow!

8,825 Messages
    85 Likes Received
    I wish we had an OC named 'Stump'.
  5. Yakuza Rich

Yakuza Rich Well-Known Member

11,614 Messages
    633 Likes Received
    Have some dignity and don't work for the Redskins in the first place.

:D

YAKUZA
  6. Beast_from_East

Beast_from_East Well-Known Member

14,227 Messages
    1,970 Likes Received
    That would be like Jerry stripping Wade of defensive playcalling.

Wow, the Skins are such a trainwreck:laugh1:
  7. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    I wouldn't dogpile on him too much. If Jerry brings in Holmgren he could be our next QB coach.

Perfectly fine to dogpile on Redskins franchise and their fans, though.
  8. Cowboys22

Cowboys22 Well-Known Member

3,486 Messages
    259 Likes Received
    Looks like they will be 2-10 going into that game, so I doubt they'll be favored in that one either. My question is this - If you lose to three winless teams in a row, does that make you the worst team in the league? I have to say YES!!!!!!:lmao2:
  9. Danny White

Danny White Winter is Coming

12,345 Messages
    0 Likes Received

Leave it to the ultimate homer over there, bubba:

http://extremeskins.com/showpost.php?p=6908847&postcount=11
  10. theogt

theogt Surrealist Zone Supporter

43,707 Messages
    418 Likes Received
    Zorn, Cerrato's fates apparently are intertwined

Posted by Mike Florio on October 18, 2009 9:58 PM ET
    Redskins fans, there might be signs of hope in D.C., after all.

We're hearing that there's a strong belief within the Redskins organization that the fates of coach Jim Zorn and V.P. of football operations Vinny Cerrato are tied together.

So if/when Zorn goes, Cerrato could be dumped, too. (There's a chance Zorn would go after the Eagles game next Monday, and that Cerrato wouldn't be fired until after the season ends.)

That might help explain why Zorn and Cerrato will decide tomorrow who'll call the plays for the rest of the year. And why Zorn didn't simply refuse to give up his play-calling function.

The next question becomes who'll call the plays?

If it's not Sherm Lewis, we're not sure who it will be. Mike Holmgren? Joe Gibbs? Dan Snyder?

That said, Zorn should have refused to give up his play-calling duties and forced his termination. Instead, he has now allowed himself to be systematically neutered over the past two weeks, with the addition of Lewis and now the surrender of one of Zorn's core functions.
  11. theebs

theebs Believe!!!!

22,213 Messages
    1,270 Likes Received
  12. adamknite

adamknite Well-Known Member

3,825 Messages
    55 Likes Received
    This is what it says.

EDIT: I see I'm a little late there.
  13. Danny White

Danny White Winter is Coming

12,345 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    No, not fired. Just speculation from Peter King.

I just thought it was funny to think that Jerry Gray is going to take this team to the Super Bowl.
  14. newlander

newlander Well-Known Member

8,206 Messages
    123 Likes Received
    I'd like to see Lil' Dan calling plays. It'd be a hoot.........
  15. BraveHeartFan

BraveHeartFan We got a hat. I want a ring.

22,514 Messages
    546 Likes Received
    No surprise here. They're putting themselves in position to fire him after Philly beats them next Monday night.
  16. dogunwo

dogunwo Waves that make you sea-sick

5,312 Messages
    135 Likes Received
    Forgive me for even being there to know about it, but they spell "playoffs" "paloffs" over there on that board, lol
  17. CliffnMesquite

CliffnMesquite Active Member

4,092 Messages
    15 Likes Received
    Zorn to lose,
    I've lived my life in vain
    Every dream has only brought me pain...:(
  18. Kilyin

Kilyin Well-Known Member

8,036 Messages
    241 Likes Received
    Maybe Snyder is preparing to bring back his 'secret weapon'. He's getting the band back together and flying in Steve Spurrier and the 'fun and gun', part two.
  19. RoadRunner

RoadRunner New Member

2,809 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    :lmao: I was going to post the same thing.
  20. Future

Future Intramural Legend

15,683 Messages
    1,132 Likes Received
    There is more dignity in sucking it up and trying to get it right than there is in quitting.

He's not a good head coach I don't think but that team just isn't good. It's not his fault he's got Jason Campbell at qb.