News: “Perpetual tardiness” caused Cowboys players to sour on Greg Hardy

Status
Not open for further replies.

CCBoy

Reaction score
“Perpetual tardiness” caused Cowboys players to sour on Greg Hardy
Posted by Darin Gantt on January 7, 2016, 9:12 AM EST
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...our-on-greg-hardy/?ocid=Yahoo&partner=ya5nbcs

496335296.jpg
Getty Images
Cowboys coach Jason Garrett didn’t exactly offer a ringing endorsement of defensive end Greg Hardy earlier this week, and it sounds like some of his teammates may have felt just as ambivalent.

According to Brandon George of the Dallas Morning News, several teammates who had previously supported Hardy “began to sour on him late in the season.”

That’s partly because Hardy was high-maintenance, with Garrett having to meet with him four times about his off-field distractions, and also because of his “perpetual tardiness for team meetings never resulted in a reduction of playing time.”

He reportedly was respectful when they talked to him about changing, but never bothered to change...

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
He has to go. I am sure he would be ok on a team that demands accountability but in Dallas that situation will just get worse and worse.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Team chemistry will perpetually suffer when players like Hardy aren't held accountable and disciplined for their transgressions. It's simply never a healthy situation to exist on any team.
Coaches can constantly talk to their heart's content about having the "right kind of guys" but if little is done to ensure that being the case for all, it's basically just meaningless babble.
Anytime discipline suffers, those responsible for causing the distractions are only encouraged to maintain their selfish ways. Player discontent prevails and team chemistry falters.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
Didn't Dez have the same problem? Maybe other teams also have these problems with their star prima dona players, not sure....But we sure do. So if I was a star and wanted to be able to get away with such things, I would come to Dallas, if I wanted to win, then I would go to a franchise that has been more successful over the last 20 years.

http://profootballzone.com/nfc/repo...umerous-meetings-skipped-jordan-brand-events/

"Jason Cole of Bleacher Report says that some of the concerns that the Dallas Cowboys have with Dez Bryant is that he’s consistently late for meetings and has often skipped events that endorsers Pizza Hut and Jordan Brand have set up for him off the field."

Zimmy Lives

Reaction score
Didn't Dez have the same problem? Maybe other teams also have these problems with their star prima dona players, not sure....But we sure do. So if I was a star and wanted to be able to get away with such things, I would come to Dallas, if I wanted to win, then I would go to a franchise that has been more successful over the last 20 years.

http://profootballzone.com/nfc/repo...umerous-meetings-skipped-jordan-brand-events/

"Jason Cole of Bleacher Report says that some of the concerns that the Dallas Cowboys have with Dez Bryant is that he’s consistently late for meetings and has often skipped events that endorsers Pizza Hut and Jordan Brand have set up for him off the field."

It's a fine line between production and accountability. The more a player produces, preferably at an elite level, the less accountable he will be for following team protocol.

It appears there is a higher tolerance for nonconformity when a player produces at a high level. All the great coaches admit to treating players at various skill levels differently. Question is: Where do the Cowboys draw the line with a solid but unspectacular player in Hardy?

DenCWBY

Reaction score
IT would be really interesting to see Hardy and Bryant playing for a team like the Patriots. Either they would change their act very quickly or be off the team in a heartbeat. Some players (like this) who never had real strong influences in their lives are really longing for direction from a leader. Teams who don't provide that leadership are just another stopping place for these players to keep acting up and ultimately fail to reach their full potential.

John813

Reaction score
Eh, no one would care (fans or media) if the team was 12-4.

Star/very good players get different treatment. Nothing new. Just that the team was finding ways to lose every week, so the blame game/critics comes out.

However, his game was off to end the year, specifically after the Pats game. Maybe the public leak of photos messed him up.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Eh, no one would care (fans or media) if the team was 12-4.

Star/very good players get different treatment. Nothing new. Just that the team was finding ways to lose every week, so the blame game/critics comes out.

However, his game was off to end the year, specifically after the Pats game. Maybe the public leak of photos messed him up.

True yet when your team is 4-12 it matters, showing you don't give a damn. hell if Dallas was competing for Super Bowls yeah players likely would be given some slack when you are sitting at the bottom of the league there is little room for slack.

John813

Reaction score
True yet when your team is 4-12 it matters, showing you don't give a damn. hell if Dallas was competing for Super Bowls yeah players likely would be given some slack when you are sitting at the bottom of the league there is little room for slack.

Don't get me wrong, I see and understand the frustration some players may have with Hardy regarding his tardiness, especially when the team is in a losing streak. Just think the media may be going overboard on this story because it's Hardy and the team sucked this year. Doubt we would of heard/read that Hardy missed a practice if we were winning those weeks when he was late/not present.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, I see and understand the frustration some players may have with Hardy regarding his tardiness, especially when the team is in a losing streak. Just think the media may be going overboard on this story because it's Hardy and the team sucked this year. Doubt we would of heard/read that Hardy missed a practice if we were winning those weeks when he was late/not present.

Again I agree if your winning it is not as big of a deal the issue is when a team is losing that is when you expect all hands on deck to get things turned and the last thing you want to see is a player not putting in all which means being at the meeting and practice on time.

visionary

Reaction score
This topic needs to be discussed more. :confused:

The fact is that there are people on this board who think this stuff is all made up by the big bad media, so, yes, this dies need to be brought up more

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
I still say keep him. He's due for a monster season.
I'd keep him and just wouldn't guarantee anything, which allows you to simply cut ties if he's a distraction.

It's a pretty serious indictment of this regime - Marinelli and JG both - if Hardy wasn't benched after continuously being late for meetings. It's really easy to sit a star player for that sort of thing when your team sucks. That tends to make me think that the claims are mostly false, but who knows.

Vanilla2

Reaction score
If Hardy played for the Vikings he wouldn't of hardly been a blip on the national radar.

With that being said you put AP on the Cowboys and the fire storm would've been just as big. If not bigger because he was replacing the irreplaceable.

Status
Not open for further replies.