“Red Flag” draft pick

Flamma

Reaction score
As a third day pick, I could kick the tires, but he's not a Top 100 guy to me.

He's actually ranked 10th out of the defensive linemen. An early day 2 pick. But there's still the combine. Much can change on these projections.

cowboysfan31

Reaction score
I’m a big fan of Davis in the NFL. I think he comps to DeForest Buckner, with a little more power and less speed. Tomsula worked with Buckner in SF, and has worked with Alabama DL like Da’Ron Payne and Jonathan Allen in Washington.

cowboysfan31

Reaction score
I wanted to add on to my previous point. I had forgotten about Buckner’s teammate Arik Armstead. Also coached by Tomsula, much more similar scouting report to Davis. Drafted 17th overall in 2015.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Might be a 2 down DT in the NFL, but he will be unmovable in the run game. I dont know if I see alot of upside as a pass rusher. I do like him as a 3rd rounder. 2nd might be too rich for him IMO.

Oneiros

Reaction score
Can we maybe get a solid player in the 2nd round for once?

I'm tired of seeing premium picks being tossed around on headaches, projects, or injury pronged players.

Later in the draft? Sure, but we have way too many holes to fill this year.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
I wanted to add on to my previous point. I had forgotten about Buckner’s teammate Arik Armstead. Also coached by Tomsula, much more similar scouting report to Davis. Drafted 17th overall in 2015.
These comps are interesting, but Davis is a lot heavier than those guys.

Davis - 306
Armstead - 292 (combine)
Buckner - 291 (combine)

Their playing weight is really anyone's guess, but even though Davis' height is the same, those two were a lot more lanky than him. I suppose Davis could lose some weight to get quicker, but not every player can lose 15 lbs. and maintain strength.

Jbone100

Reaction score
Alright so we know there is a high chance we are taking someone with red flags. Someone with a troubled pass or injury that drops them. Usually around the 2nd or 3rd round but we seem to always take a chance on these guys. For better or worse. Gregory, Jaylon, Sean Lee, Bruce Carter just to name a few. We can be realist about it or complain about the “***” but it can and will happen.

If we miss out on DL like Kinlaw, Brown, or Chaisson in the 1st and maybe shore up another position,

With our 2nd pick I can see the team taking a chance on...

Raekwon Davis

As an Alabama fan, I don’t want him unless it’s in about the 5th round. I hear people say he had one great year and 2 mediocre years, I don’t think that’s completely accurate. He was great (but not dominate) against the run all 3 years while having 1 year with a lot of garbage sacks but few other pressures followed by 2 years of miserable pass rush production. His strength is stuffing the run, 2-gapping (against single teams) and swatting down passes. IMO, he projects better as a 5-tech in the NFL. That’s the 1 position he would add better than average ability at. As a 1-tech, he would likely be disappointing, he doesn’t handle double teams too well and wouldn’t offer any better than average pass rush ability for an NFL 1-tech. If we were going to be running some 3-man fronts next year, I would elevate him to a 4th round value for Dallas but it doesn’t sound like that will be the case. I’d rather have McTelvin Agin from Arkansas and you could likely get him in the 5th.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
I bet the Ravens draft him and he will be considered the steal of draft. If we draft him we will clearly be going to the 3/4. Reminds me of Chris Canty but better. He would be a good second round pick.

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
I think you missed the point. Definitely not an overreact. We’ve done it multiple times.

Pot smoker, check
Torn ACL, check
Depression, check
May no be able to play again, check

hyperrpg-game-reaction-cXVJ89BFVTSH5oS83r

Reclamation projects no matter how bad they sound is what we do. Skipping the senior bowl while another red flag may not deter them from taking him. Like I said, it should be reality for many of us since it has and can happen
If only we still had Roddle Muddinelli here, it would make the decision that much easier.

morasp

Reaction score
Brown and Kinlaw. lol

There are a bunch that I like...it just depends on where they're being taken. In the second round at this point, I'd prefer Madabuike, Johnson and maybe even Murchison over Davis. I just don't think run stoppers have much value in the first 100 picks or so.
Who is Johnson?

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Has all the tools you need to be an elite DT. Had a big Sophomore season in 2017 leading some to speculate that he could could turn out to be the best DT in Tide history, only to see his numbers go way down in 2018. Returned for his SR season with high expectations but only gave more of the 2018 version and never lived up to the hype.

Many are starting to believe that his 2017 season may have been just a by-product of playing next to Da'Ron Payne. His stock is certainly falling.
Missed this post earier. Interesting point on Payne. Scouts really need to look at his sophomore tape VS his JR and SR tape and see what happened to him as a pressure player.

To me he is a guy that could wind up being a steal, of you can unlock that ability to effect passing downs. But based on his JR and SR play he looks like a 2 down guy in the NFL