0 of 22 first round QBs drafted between 2009-2016 still with the team that drafted them

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Crazy. Really only 7 of the 14 since then look safe to stay on the same team.
Stafford
Sanchez
Freeman

Bradford
Tebow

Cam
Locker
Gabbert
Ponder

Luck
RG3
Tannehill
Weedon

EJ Manuel

Bortles
Manziel
Bridgewater

Winston
Mariota

Goff
Wentz
Lynch

Trubisky
X Mahomes
Watson

X Mayfield
Darnold
X Allen
Rosen
X Jackson

X Murray
X Jones
Haskins

X Burrow
Tua
Love
Its hard to fathom being drafted in 2010 as a quarterback and already being out of the league.....wow.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
who cares what team theyre with...are they still a starter, thats what matters.

That's not a catch-all either. Someone like Wentz for example could just be a bridge QB.

2009:
Matthew Stafford - starter
Mark Sanchez - Nah
Josh Freeman - Nah

2010:
Sam Bradford - Nah
Tim Tebow - Nah

2011:
Cam Newton - Probably Nah
Jake Locker - Nah
Blaine Gabbert - Nah
Christian Ponder - Nah

2012:
Andrew Luck - Retired
Robert Griffin III - Nah
Ryan Tannehill - starter
Brandon Weeden - Nah

2013:
EJ Manuel - Nah

2014:
Blake Bortles - Nah
Johnny Manziel - Nah
Teddy Bridgewater -
starter (but barely)

2015:
Jameis Winston - maybe this year but not last year
Marcus Mariota - Nah

2016:
Jared Goff - starter
Carson Wentz - starter
Paxton Lynch - Nah

So does 5 out of 22 feel better when you look at all these names?

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
That's not a catch-all either. Someone like Wentz for example could just be a bridge QB.

2009:
Matthew Stafford - starter
Mark Sanchez - Nah
Josh Freeman - Nah

2010:
Sam Bradford - Nah
Tim Tebow - Nah

2011:
Cam Newton - Probably Nah
Jake Locker - Nah
Blaine Gabbert - Nah
Christian Ponder - Nah

2012:
Andrew Luck - Retired
Robert Griffin III - Nah
Ryan Tannehill - starter
Brandon Weeden - Nah

2013:
EJ Manuel - Nah

2014:
Blake Bortles - Nah
Johnny Manziel - Nah
Teddy Bridgewater -
starter (but barely)

2015:
Jameis Winston - maybe this year but not last year
Marcus Mariota - Nah

2016:
Jared Goff - starter
Carson Wentz - starter
Paxton Lynch - Nah

It gets even worse if you add the Haskin, Darnold, Tribusky years to it lol.

triplets_93

Reaction score
Listening to Donny and Sorois on the Ticket and they are doing a segment called "First round QBs suck." and then went through all 22 QBs that were drafted in the first round during that time frame and it shocked even me that not a single one is still with the team that drafted him. And almost half of them are out of the league.. Most of the ones still around are backups and not one is playing at a high level consistently these days. Wow.. just wow.. All the more reason that the Cowboys need to hang onto the guy they got and not waste draft capital trying to replace what they already have. No don't destroy your cap with the deal.. but the evidence is overwhelming that drafting a QB in the first round does little or nothing to guarantee the guy's gonna turn out to be any good.

So you're sayin' if we draft a QB in the 2nd round we're Good!!??

KB1122

Reaction score
It's not that hard to solve. You draft quarterbacks in the first round.

Sydla

Reaction score
While true...even if you add quarterbacks from later years.....still bad. Tribusky and Darnold are about to be added to that list. Deshaun is begging to join them.

Yes but the reality is QB is no different than most other positions. Most players fail. Most first rounders don't become studs. People are focusing on QB here, I guess, as some part of their defense of the notion we should give Dak whatever he wants.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Yes but the reality is QB is no different than most other positions. Most players fail. Most first rounders don't become studs. People are focusing on QB here, I guess, as some part of their defense of the notion we should give Dak whatever he wants.

Quarterback is the hardest position to play in the NFL so of course there is going to be more flops there than anyone. You have far more confidence in finding any other position other than QB in that 1st round.

In regards to the 1st round I'd probably say tight end is another position that just flops there for some reason. Not at the rate as quarterback because there's not as many taken in the 1st round....I think Eric Ebron is probably the best 1st round tight end to come out and that's a travesty.

65fastback2plus2

Reaction score

I dont care how it "feels" was just saying a more proper metric.

If we lost Dak due to contract negotiations/cap to another team, why should it appear in the metric that he was somehow trash? Same if Seattle lost Wilson.

I'm not gonna blame a team because they didnt retain a QB over money.

Motorola

Reaction score
I also heard that some NFL scouts said it's tough to look at this without adding some caveats. Some of these QBs ended up with bad teams and bad situations. One scout said that people don't realize if you are a good QB who gets stuck on a bad team for years, it could stunt your development and end up out the league. Also, some guys taken by bad teams do get better after getting out from under the crap situations they are in (take Ryan Tannehill for example). There's no doubt the hit rate on first round QBs (shoot any round QB) isn't great but the 0 for 22 is a bit skewed according to what I had heard.

Last also note you are seeing some first round QBs in recent drafts have success - Mahomes and Allen for starters. Murray looks like a player. Burrow was off to a great start before getting hurt. Herbert was also playing very well for a rookie. Lamar Jackson has his warts but he's been pretty good. Mayfield also has his issues but he's been at least serviceable.
Look back at David Carr's career. Except for his 2nd year (when he started in 11 games), he started every game the other 4 seasons. Carr was sacked 249 times while with the Texans (2002-2006). That was an average of almost 50 times each season. The actual breakdown - 76 (all-time NFL record), 15, 49, 68 (third most alltime), 41.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
I also heard that some NFL scouts said it's tough to look at this without adding some caveats. Some of these QBs ended up with bad teams and bad situations. One scout said that people don't realize if you are a good QB who gets stuck on a bad team for years, it could stunt your development and end up out the league. Also, some guys taken by bad teams do get better after getting out from under the crap situations they are in (take Ryan Tannehill for example). There's no doubt the hit rate on first round QBs (shoot any round QB) isn't great but the 0 for 22 is a bit skewed according to what I had heard.

Last also note you are seeing some first round QBs in recent drafts have success - Mahomes and Allen for starters. Murray looks like a player. Burrow was off to a great start before getting hurt. Herbert was also playing very well for a rookie. Lamar Jackson has his warts but he's been pretty good. Mayfield also has his issues but he's been at least serviceable.

So right now with QB's taken in the 1st round since 2017 there are 4 or only 1/8th of the QB's in the league. That's not enough to dispute what was posted about the 2009-2016 QB's drafted. Also if you listen to the Prescott haters good QB's make up for bad teams with their great play.

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score
Maybe because a QB drafted in 2017 would still be on his rookie contract. It's only this year that a player would play through any 5th year option if not extended.
So then why start at 2009?

Why not start at 2008? You know the draft where both of the QBs taken in the first round eventually took their team to the SB and got a huge second contract?

Also, in the 2017 class, two QBs already have gotten extensions with their team.

Lamar Jackson is from the 2018 class, and there have been rumblings already that the Ravens are discussing a new deal for him. So recent history shows, that this take is trash

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score
Actually, what you're doing is nitpicking because you don't like the result. It's a defined period of factual information.

But as they say in every investment pitch, past performance is no predictor of future results...with the possible exceptions of Jerry and Stephen Jones.
I cant care less about the result

Its nitpicking because if you use the years immediately before AND after, those QBs taken have gotten second contracts with their teams....