Video: [1:47] Ryan Russell (#99) vs Zack Martin (#70) 2012

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Thanks for doing it. With exception of two plays Martin pretty much dominated him.

That game they moved him to the other side most of the time. He beat up the other guy. No shame in only being able to beat the best a couple of times.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Outstanding. Thanks for this.

It's like watching somebody put a baby to sleep.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
That game they moved him to the other side most of the time. He beat up the other guy. No shame in only being able to beat the best a couple of times.
Such is the life of the offensive lineman. A tackle can win the battle on 60+ snaps, but if a DE gets two good plays in -- a sack or TFL -- he'll be thought of as having a good game.

In the Detroit playoff game, Martin dominated Suh. But Suh had those sacks toward the end when Tony held the ball for 8+ seconds and people think Suh did something special.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Thanks for doing it. With exception of two plays Martin pretty much dominated him.

Martin is just so sound. He didn't have a chance.

Thanks to the OP for posting this. It was interesting to see what this player can do against one of the best.

erod

Reaction score
Just goes to show you that if Doug Free went down for an extended period, they'd probably move Martin out to tackle.

sureletsrace

Official CZ Homer
Reaction score
Awesome.

Ryan gave Martin a run for his money at the beginning of the game, but really got worn out by the end of the game.

That's what separates the men from the boys.

He could be good as a rotational piece though.

perrykemp

Reaction score
In the Detroit playoff game, Martin dominated Suh. But Suh had those sacks toward the end when Tony held the ball for 8+ seconds and people think Suh did something special.

Interesting. I thought Martin didn't get much push against Suh in the run game.

In general the Cowboys ran for 73 yards (3.4 ypc) which was roughly half of their average against the Lions. I suspect Martin wasn't the biggest offender, but I didn't walk away from watching that game thinking Martin dominated Suh by any stretch.

Wezsh0T

Reaction score
The first few plays I was thinking that Russell was pretty good. By the end of the video, Martin was dominating him. Russell does look to have high motor though. I think Marinelli can totally work with someone like that.

Plankton

Reaction score
That's some good tape on how good Martin was at ND.

He was like that every week. Martin was actually underrated as a college player.

Of course, it's the Notre Dame homer in me coming out, but I really believe that to be true.

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
Martin is just so sound. He didn't have a chance.

Thanks to the OP for posting this. It was interesting to see what this player can do against one of the best.

He really is. Guy is so fluid for a big man. Reacts so quick. Body position and footwork, solid base with awesome hips that distributes power obnoxiously fluid. Arm extension/punch with authority..... I could watch this dude play all day. Thanks itsaboat.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Interesting. I thought Martin didn't get much push against Suh in the run game.

In general the Cowboys ran for 73 yards (3.4 ypc) which was roughly half of their average against the Lions. I suspect Martin wasn't the biggest offender, but I didn't walk away from watching that game thinking Martin dominated Suh by any stretch.
Martin manhandled Suh in both the run and passing game. I just picked a couple representative plays from the first couple series. These aren't the best plays by Martin -- they're just representative of his overall play. In the first one he basically drags Suh by his chest off his position then walls him out of the play completely. In the second, he completely stonewalls him in the passing game. If you spend $20 for NFL Rewind you can go back and see plenty others like this for yourself. I was a little shocked by how much he dominated Suh when I went back to watch it.

MajesticOffensiveDwarfrabbit.gif

LastSimpleGlassfrog.gif

Last edited: