1 point for a kickoff through the uprights?

J12B

Reaction score

Apparently that is a proposed rule change.

Highly doubt that would get approved. I don't like the idea either.

Although a 3 point conversion from the 10 sounds like an interesting idea.

What do you guys think about all these new rule changes being proposed? I can't even keep up with them.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Don’t like it. Just get rid of the kickoff altogether. It’s lame ** anymore.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
Why? I mean, seriously: what problem is this proposal trying to solve? I can't think of anything. Who's clamoring for special teams to be a bigger part of the game? Who wants kickers to be more important than they are now?

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
tenor.gif

J12B

Reaction score
Must be a change to incentivize touch backs and ultimately improve player safety.

I don't think the kickoff change spot has increased touch backs as much as the league thought it would have. Kickers are trying to kick higher and shorter to force a return and put the return team in a tough spot with a good return.

Just getting rid of the kickoff seems to be the best option. Or maybe have kickoffs happen in the 4th quarter.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
If there is a rule that should be implemented, it's that no field goals under a length of 35 yards should be allowed. I mean, you can make a 19 yard kick and get three points, but you have to make a 33 yard kick to get one point? That's stupid as hell.
I don't know that the FGs are the problem here: the XP is.

I like this proposal: a TD is worth 7 points. You can choose to gamble one of those points on a try from the 2 yard line. If you make it, you win the point and get 8. If you miss it, you lose the point and get 6. Exactly the same result as two-point attempts today, but gets rid of the stupid XP kick.

Motorola

Reaction score
arena football

What do you guys think about all these new rule changes being proposed? I can't even keep up with them.

Late in 2020 and early 2021, I was awake on early Saturday mornings and tuned into ESPN. They showed Australian Rugby and Australian Rules Football games - TWO DIFFERENT SPORTS - but they both had kicks between the goalposts as part of in-game play.
J12B must have been watching too.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
I like the extra point FG. It's not 100 percent and in a close game could be the difference.

Instead of changing rules can they get the refs better training first so they understand without a doubt every rule already in place before adding more rules.

HungryLion

Reaction score
I don't know that the FGs are the problem here: the XP is.

I like this proposal: a TD is worth 7 points. You can choose to gamble one of those points on a try from the 2 yard line. If you make it, you win the point and get 8. If you miss it, you lose the point and get 6. Exactly the same result as two-point attempts today, but gets rid of the stupid XP kick.

I have been wanting this for a while. Though I always structured it as. After a TD. A team can choose to take a free point or go for 2.

makes kickers less important which I think is a good thing.

Whyjerry

Reaction score

The NFL goes more WWE every year. They need to roll back some of the recent rule changes.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
I have been wanting this for a while. Though I always structured it as. After a TD. A team can choose to take a free point or go for 2.

makes kickers less important which I think is a good thing.
Agreed. It's the same proposal, but I like the symmetry of mine, the gambling aspect. Makes it clear that you're risking losing a point in order to gain a point.

The other incredibly obvious thing I think needs doing is moving the goalposts closer together. FGs shouldn't be 90+% events, and especially not from 40+. I want teams going for it on 4th down, not bringing out the soccer player.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score

I've wanted that for a while. I'd love that rule! It takes a lot of skill to put a kickoff through the uprights. SO yes! If you manage to do so, you should get 1 point. Similar to how the CFL has the Rouge or Single. In the CFL, if you kick the ball into the endzone and it's not returned, it's a rouge instead of a touchback, and the kicking team receives 1 point. So, this would be the NFL's version of a rouge.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
arena football

Actually, a rule like this is closer to what the CFL does. One of my favourite things that the CFL does is the rouge. It's such a cool rule that they have. This, being the NFL's version of the rouge, would be amazing!

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Late in 2020 and early 2021, I was awake on early Saturday mornings and tuned into ESPN. They showed Australian Rugby and Australian Rules Football games - TWO DIFFERENT SPORTS - but they both had kicks between the goalposts as part of in-game play.
J12B must have been watching too.

I love Aussie Rules Football! Go Brisbane Lions!