LAMarcus Joyner
Haha Clinton Dix
Tyrann Mathieu
Tre Boston
Mike Mitchell
Eric Reid
George Illoka

Who do we like or can we draft one?

It just seems like some of those guys were just FA not long ago. They obviously havent worked out and probably wont work out here.

I definitely remember our fans gushing over Boston, Amos, and illoka.

Pass.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Because our owner stinks at FA and often overvalues what we have.

They will undoubtedly do it again next month.

Is that why they let Leary and Murray go?

They don't value FA and are justified in that view given the efficiency of FA signings over the last 30 years.

People like to wave their hands at the Eagles and Broncos as examples of FA ventures having success but picking those anecdotes and ignoring the rest of the data is piss poor biasing and ignores the fact that those teams are having to be blown up within a couple of years because of salary bloat.

Fact of the matter is that for every success there are teams like the Giants, Commanders, TB, Oak, Jax, and SF that fail repeatedly.

jrumann59

Reaction score
Is that why they let Leary and Murray go?

They don't value FA and are justified in that view given the efficiency of FA signings over the last 30 years.

People like to wave their hands at the Eagles and Broncos as examples of FA ventures having success but picking those anecdotes and ignoring the rest of the data is piss poor biasing and ignores the fact that those teams are having to be blown up within a couple of years because of salary bloat.

Fact of the matter is that for every success there are teams like the Giants, Commanders, TB, Oak, Jax, and SF that fail repeatedly.
They did not let Leary go, they pushed him out the door with the way they treated him and LG position when he got injured and replaced. They may well have wanted to keep him but I am willing to bet he was asking for elite LG money.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Regarding Thomas, does anyone know how Richard feels about him? First he pulls that bonehead move with Garrett which couldn't have been received well by his coaches and teammates and then flips off his coaching staff when he breaks his leg again.

Any coach dependent on a good locker room and a cohesive unit has to consider what he brings and with what he's shown, I would be apprehensive but then does what he did even matter to the players? Is the mercenary attitude so prevalent that players just don't care about that?

SportsGuru80

CowboysYanksLakers
Reaction score
The only one I'd take is Earl on like a two year deal with as minimal guaranteed money as possible.

maryquality

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Regarding Thomas, does anyone know how Richard feels about him? First he pulls that bonehead move with Garrett which couldn't have been received well by his coaches and teammates and then flips off his coaching staff when he breaks his leg again.

Any coach dependent on a good locker room and a cohesive unit has to consider what he brings and with what he's shown, I would be apprehensive but then does what he did even matter to the players? Is the mercenary attitude so prevalent that players just don't care about that?
All good questions.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
They did not let Leary go, they pushed him out the door with the way they treated him and LG position when he got injured and replaced. They may well have wanted to keep him but I am willing to bet he was asking for elite LG money.

I'm not interested in semantic splitting of hairs.

The point i was countering is that they overvalue their own FA. Even your characterization shows them not doing so.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score

I believe Denver paid him way more than we wanted and I also believe he’s been injured most of his time there. We dodged a bullet on that one..

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

No, they wanted to replace him with La'el.

Many people missed the fact that Leary had injury issues every year. He often played through the injuries but he was terrible in the first few games after each injury.

Most of his injuries were groin and hamstring type injuries.

The nagging injuries combined with the MRI the Cowboys had of his knee were key reasons they never planned to re-sign him. Even if La'el had moved to RT before Leary departed, I don't think they would have paid Leary based on comments that Stephen made at the time.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Sign Tre Boston on a low multi year contract and be done. He's an upgrade over what we have and shouldn't brake the bank. I liked ET but coming off injury is a big risk given his age and amount of guaranteed $ he wants.

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score
Adrian Amos has been my choice.

Age is perfect, pairing with Woods is perfect, keep Heath around as back-up for a year. Cost will be significantly less than Collins, with a smaller variance in quality of player.

Beaker42

Reaction score
Coverage and recognition of the upcoming play mainly due to playing time in the league.
Heath really recognized the bootleg by Goff didn’t he? He STILL doesnt know that Goff kept the ball.