10 things I think about this rookie class

Kaiser

Reaction score
I do business at the Star. They think this kid will not only be a demon on Special Teams, they think he could be the backup Mike. They see him and Thomas being key contributors at LB this season...if there is a season.

Man, that's awesome. Not to jump the gun, but the last time Dallas was saying they had a much higher grade on a UDFA and had high hopes, it was Ron Leary.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Broaddus said they had high 2nd round grades on Diggs and Gallimore with Gallimore rated just above Diggs.

Thanks, there was a tweet from a FWST writer that they had Diggs and Gallimore in the top five of players who were available at the start of the 2nd round. So from their board, either would have been value at 51.

Its still amazing how much value we got from this draft. Its a top ten guy and then five others with grades in the 2nd or 3rd.

Plankton

Reaction score
They had first round grades on Lamb and Diggs, a second round grade on Gallimore and probably third round grades on Robinson, Biadasz and Anae.

That's six guys and the last time a third rounder or higher didn't work out it was Chaz Green five years ago.

Taco Charlton says hi.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score

RS12

Reaction score
I think Round 1, pick 17: CeeDee Lamb, WR, Oklahoma was a home run. But also Dallas was in a no lose situation there. Chaisson would have been perfectly fine and Lamb was an even better choice for immediate impact on a team with a SB directive and aspirations.

I think Round 2, pick 51: Trevon Diggs, CB, Alabama was a typical Cowboys draft call. Long-armed press corner from a powerhouse program. Happened to marry need with talent. Could be CB1 in a hurry as the team catches up to him on scheme.

I think Round 3, pick 82: Neville Gallimore, DT, Oklahoma was a steal. DT was a common mock target for DAL in rounds 2 and 3. Not a lot of long term depth in place in Dallas inside. Gallimore, 23, and Hill, 22, give this team a chance to build a plus interior going forward.

I think Round 4, pick 123: Reggie Robinson II, CB, Tulsa was the favorite of Will McClay because that is the perfect body type to execute the scheme they are targeting. He may need a year but that's a nice pick for a team who has so few CB signed beyond next year.

I think Round 5, pick 146: Tyler Biadasz, C, Wisconsin was unfair. DAL stole this kid who may need a year to fully recover but was the best OC in college football.

I think Round 5, pick 179: Bradlee Anae, DE, Utah will make some plays for you. I don't know he is ever an every down NFL player but NFL teams rotate pass rushers on and this guy has great technique and pad level.

I think Round 7, pick 231: Ben DiNucci, QB, James Madison is a fine shot in dark at QB though I could tell you zero about him as a prospect. Cement him as opposed to trying to outbid others in UDFA

I think UDFA: Terrence Steele, OT, Texas Tech will surprise some people. When he signed to Texas Tech he was at the lower range of their frosh class but showed quickly to be the best OL of his class and was just rock steady for 4 years. Could see him as a long-term swing OT after a year on the practice squad.

I think UDFA
: Francis Bernard, LB, Utah should have been drafted. He had some maturity and off-field issues but if people watched Utah hit the top 10 this year they saw Bernard (and Anae) make tons of plays. Utah allowed the 2nd fewest yards per game in FBS. He might be the best ST coverage guy if Goodwin gets released.

I think this is a draftnik's dream haul for this team. I ran probably 100 mocks across 3 or 4 different online mock simulators with twice as many big boards as authorities. I never once saw CeeDee Lamb fall to 17. Not once. I might have gotten Diggs a handful of times at 51. There were mocks we laughed off as homer mocks that had less talent.
Thanks. Thoughtful. A lot of work and time in this post.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
February 26, 2020 - Biadasz on his shoulder surgery. He says it was more of a cleanup thing, and he expected to be ready for OTAs.
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...out-of-combine-drills-after-shoulder-surgery/

Anyone got a more recent update?
I wasn't trying to sell the kid short merely noting a lot of guys aren't full steam after a surgery and his was fairly recent.
I wouldn't be shocked if he started this year by any means but definitely think he can start by 2021.
He was considered the best OC in college football.

CCBoy

Reaction score
I wasn't trying to sell the kid short merely noting a lot of guys aren't full steam after a surgery and his was fairly recent.
I wouldn't be shocked if he started this year by any means but definitely think he can start by 2021.

Amen, my brother, and paint this fan very pleased. He's in year two for his recovery, so I'm expecting a lot of conversations between he and Frederick.

Plankton

Reaction score
What do LVE, Michael Gallup, Jaylon Smith, Dak Prescott, Zach Martin, DLaw and Travis Frederick say?

Dude, you said in the quote earlier that the last time a third rounder or higher didn't work out it was Chaz Green five years ago. Taco Charlton just got released by his second team today, and he was a first rounder three years ago. Your statement was incorrect. Bringing up the players you listed above has nothing to do with it.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Dude, you said in the quote earlier that the last time a third rounder or higher didn't work out it was Chaz Green five years ago. Taco Charlton just got released by his second team today, and he was a first rounder three years ago. Your statement was incorrect. Bringing up the players you listed above has nothing to do with it.

The point is Green was the last failure of scouting. Taco is a special case and everyone scouted him with a similar grade to Dallas. What happened with Taco was on Taco and not the scouts.

Yes, my statement was technically incorrect. But Taco is a draft anomaly just like Prescott is a draft anomaly.

fivetwos

Reaction score
No lie: I did about 50 mocks in the week leading up to the draft and ONE time CeeDee Lamb fell to me at 17 and Diggs to me at 51. I wish I would’ve saved it or taken a screenshot. I reset the mock because I thought it was too unrealistic.
If people would have posted the actual draft as a mock here beforehand, it would have been dismissed by most of as unrealistic.

CCBoy

Reaction score
q4sfs0btuo3e0v2cyquv.jpg

:)

reddyuta

Reaction score

i dont know,Looney is his only competition if they keep Mcgovern at guard.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
I think Round 1, pick 17: CeeDee Lamb, WR, Oklahoma was a home run. But also Dallas was in a no lose situation there. Chaisson would have been perfectly fine and Lamb was an even better choice for immediate impact on a team with a SB directive and aspirations.

I think Round 2, pick 51: Trevon Diggs, CB, Alabama was a typical Cowboys draft call. Long-armed press corner from a powerhouse program. Happened to marry need with talent. Could be CB1 in a hurry as the team catches up to him on scheme.

I think Round 3, pick 82: Neville Gallimore, DT, Oklahoma was a steal. DT was a common mock target for DAL in rounds 2 and 3. Not a lot of long term depth in place in Dallas inside. Gallimore, 23, and Hill, 22, give this team a chance to build a plus interior going forward.

I think Round 4, pick 123: Reggie Robinson II, CB, Tulsa was the favorite of Will McClay because that is the perfect body type to execute the scheme they are targeting. He may need a year but that's a nice pick for a team who has so few CB signed beyond next year.

I think Round 5, pick 146: Tyler Biadasz, C, Wisconsin was unfair. DAL stole this kid who may need a year to fully recover but was the best OC in college football.

I think Round 5, pick 179: Bradlee Anae, DE, Utah will make some plays for you. I don't know he is ever an every down NFL player but NFL teams rotate pass rushers on and this guy has great technique and pad level.

I think Round 7, pick 231: Ben DiNucci, QB, James Madison is a fine shot in dark at QB though I could tell you zero about him as a prospect. Cement him as opposed to trying to outbid others in UDFA

I think UDFA: Terrence Steele, OT, Texas Tech will surprise some people. When he signed to Texas Tech he was at the lower range of their frosh class but showed quickly to be the best OL of his class and was just rock steady for 4 years. Could see him as a long-term swing OT after a year on the practice squad.

I think UDFA
: Francis Bernard, LB, Utah should have been drafted. He had some maturity and off-field issues but if people watched Utah hit the top 10 this year they saw Bernard (and Anae) make tons of plays. Utah allowed the 2nd fewest yards per game in FBS. He might be the best ST coverage guy if Goodwin gets released.

I think this is a draftnik's dream haul for this team. I ran probably 100 mocks across 3 or 4 different online mock simulators with twice as many big boards as authorities. I never once saw CeeDee Lamb fall to 17. Not once. I might have gotten Diggs a handful of times at 51. There were mocks we laughed off as homer mocks that had less talent.
I will fast forward to your closing statement, and yes indeed.
I wiped Lamb off my thought process, just because there was no way conceivable that he would be there,, was thinking Ruggs maybe, and I would have been overjoyed.
Is there a word that means more than overjoyed? Lamb equals overjoyed x 2 … is that an explanation?

RoboQB

Reaction score

I think UDFA

Nicely done.
Love this stuff.
Great nugget on Bernard as possible ST ace.

Mobinvans

Reaction score
They had first round grades on Lamb and Diggs, a second round grade on Gallimore and probably third round grades on Robinson, Biadasz and Anae.

That's six guys and the last time a third rounder or higher didn't work out it was Chaz Green five years ago.
None of their grades matter....just look back at last 20 years of drafts....if you think we got 6 starters in this draft you are being unrealitic my brother

Aven8

Reaction score
I’ve watched Steele for years as well and hopefully he sticks. Anae however made him look like a fool at the Sr Bowl blowing past him.