10 things I think I think

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
This is a Cowboys hope edition.
If you are prone to crying fits and being miserable this thread may help you either feel better or throw more fits.

1. Most interesting thing I've seen this off-season was a Chief's GM stating he called last off-season about Antony Hitchens. He named the guy he called. Will McClay. If you didn;t know Will McClay was essentially GM, now you should. He has as much personnel control as Jimmy Johnson ever did. That makes him the GM.
1a. A lot of people have job duties that go well beyond their title. The ones who really don't much care the ones who are paid for the duties and not the title. If you are McClay this is kind of perfect. Teams can keep offering him jobs and maybe he takes the ideal one or he can keep getting raises because until he has an official title Dallas has to allow him to interview for that position.

2. Honey Badger is a fun player to watch and a guy who turned a season kicked out of LSU into a legit pro career. But not all players are equivalent. Saying we don't like Earl Thomas at 11m per year and a 1st so we just go to the next best thing with HB is rather goofy. Totally different players. The position has the same name but it is not actually the same. ET s a one man umbrella over the defense who can also play the run. Think of him like a missile defense system.HB is just one missile.
2a. But 7m is nothing... The deal Sammy Watkins signed which most deem utterly insane costs 8m in year 1 cap hit. That is basically the Cowboys total free agent budget. 7-8M. I know they CAN do more, but unless a bargain jumps at them smart money is on 7-8M being their total outside FA spend.

3. The teams who jump early and are ultra aggressive can land key players. But history says those guys who sign that first week are mostly overpaid. Players are a finite resource but so are places to play. A safety like Eric Reid or Sonny Vaccaro may well end up playing for 4-5m a year on a 2 year deal that allows Dallas to pay a 3m cap hit. Patience in FA can be rewarded.

4. The Eagles are being run like a Madden franchise. That team has been full tilt boogie for a year now. And that title was sweet for them. But now they find out how hard defending a title is and how valuable the draft is for adding quality cheap talent. They just literally do not care to draft. It's bananas. They aren't just cap strapped in 2018. They are by and far the most cap strapped team for 2019 already. But it'll all work out because Wentz will play for cheap come 2020 right? Watching them that implode over the next two years is going to be delicious.

5. Dallas official visits list has Ridley and Hernandez. Guessing Dallas would be quite happy with those two guys at 19 and 50. I actually like Hernandez more. As a guy who knocks his man off the ball every play is more important to me than a guy who runs silk smooth routes. At least for this offense.

6. It's been a tough few months for Dallas fans. All the Zeke drama and the 9-7 to no where and Sodom city title. But our time comes draft day. Like many a team who fell short the reward comes Draft weekend. The event is being held here in Dallas and that will be a time to maximize this roster and salary cap. Dallas has a very good cache of draft picks and they've been using them well under McClay.

7. Dez Bryant is one of my favorite Cowboys. He plays with his heart of his sleeve and he's a competitor.
I do think he was at risk of cut at one point but the failed deal for Sammy Watkins and the overall insane contracts given to WR's likely mean he is back. The smart money has always pointed to an extension that creates a Watkins like deal going forward that costs far less this season.

8. Which player do you want?
Player A: Prior 3 seasons: 13.5 sacks, 91 tackles, 46 games played.
Player B: Prior 3 seasons: 11.5 sacks, 52 tackles, 35 games played.
As you may have guessed Player B is David Irving. A guy the entire fan base seems to have confused. He's shown immense flashes but his body of work has been pretty sparse.
Player A is Tyrone Crawford, resident fan whipping boy.
This is just context to hopefully shape some more sensible discussions.

9. Dak-friendly. This does not mean you have to rebuild the entire offense. This basically means maybe you could block for the guy. Especially on his blind side? Abebeta has done a masterful job breaking down Dak's numbers with 5 starting NFL OL in front of him and with the retreads we used at back up last year. Dak has to improve personally but simply giving him a legit LT makes him a top 10 QB statistically.

10. The Process. I am not sure if anyone has ever participated in process reviews or major ITIL/Six Sigma training but the first thing you learn is processes only work if followed to completion. You can't skip steps and pick and choose. If Dallas was going to overhaul the overpaid Romo-led star-driven team into a blue collar, young, hungry team they were going to have to draft and PLAY young guys. You should see the benefit of that process this year on the field as Dak, Zeke and those young DBs will be joined by more young, talented players.

Section446

Reaction score
I wonder if we aren't trying to get better because it creates an excuse to keep Garrett around longer. There's no way you can blame this upcoming season on Garrett, he is now in a spot where he doesn't have a team capable of winning from a talent standpoint.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
5. Dallas official visits list has Ridley and Hernandez. Guessing Dallas would be quite happy with those two guys at 19 and 50. I actually like Hernandez more. As a guy who knocks his man off the ball every play is more important to me than a guy who runs silk smooth routes. At least for this offense.

I would be very surprised if Hernandez makes it all the way to fifty. We are not the only team showing a lot of interest in him.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I wonder if we aren't trying to get better because it creates an excuse to keep Garrett around longer. There's no way you can blame this upcoming season on Garrett, he is now in a spot where he doesn't have a team capable of winning from a talent standpoint.
Garrett just went 13-3 in 2016 with far less talent and far lower expectations.

PUSHfold

Reaction score
Tyrone Crawford might has those numbers sure and we know what he is 100%. Why don't you show us their stats from the last 12 games played? Irving is 24 years old and just coming into his own. He's going to be an absolute stud for someone regardless of if he's "weird" or not.
Personally I think if he makes it through this season playing 16 games and does well you pay the man whatever it takes. We need players like him on defense.

ShiningStar

Reaction score
Garrett just went 13-3 in 2016 with far less talent and far lower expectations.

this is what our fans have sunk to.

other than that, OP nice post. i dont have to agree but its a great expression of what you believe with what you feel backs it up.

conner01

Reaction score
I would be very surprised if Hernandez makes it all the way to fifty. We are not the only team showing a lot of interest in him.
If you want Hernandez I think you have to take him at 19
If we don’t he could fall some but he’s going in first rnd so you could trade back some and get him, unless someone trades up in front of you

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
In your comparison between Crawford and Irving over the past three years, Crawford played 10 more games.

waldoputty

Reaction score
This is a Cowboys hope edition.
If you are prone to crying fits and being miserable this thread may help you either feel better or throw more fits.

1. Most interesting thing I've seen this off-season was a Chief's GM stating he called last off-season about Antony Hitchens. He named the guy he called. Will McClay. If you didn;t know Will McClay was essentially GM, now you should. He has as much personnel control as Jimmy Johnson ever did. That makes him the GM.
1a. A lot of people have job duties that go well beyond their title. The ones who really don't much care the ones who are paid for the duties and not the title. If you are McClay this is kind of perfect. Teams can keep offering him jobs and maybe he takes the ideal one or he can keep getting raises because until he has an official title Dallas has to allow him to interview for that position.

2. Honey Badger is a fun player to watch and a guy who turned a season kicked out of LSU into a legit pro career. But not all players are equivalent. Saying we don't like Earl Thomas at 11m per year and a 1st so we just go to the next best thing with HB is rather goofy. Totally different players. The position has the same name but it is not actually the same. ET s a one man umbrella over the defense who can also play the run. Think of him like a missile defense system.HB is just one missile.
2a. But 7m is nothing... The deal Sammy Watkins signed which most deem utterly insane costs 8m in year 1 cap hit. That is basically the Cowboys total free agent budget. 7-8M. I know they CAN do more, but unless a bargain jumps at them smart money is on 7-8M being their total outside FA spend.

3. The teams who jump early and are ultra aggressive can land key players. But history says those guys who sign that first week are mostly overpaid. Players are a finite resource but so are places to play. A safety like Eric Reid or Sonny Vaccaro may well end up playing for 4-5m a year on a 2 year deal that allows Dallas to pay a 3m cap hit. Patience in FA can be rewarded.

4. The Eagles are being run like a Madden franchise. That team has been full tilt boogie for a year now. And that title was sweet for them. But now they find out how hard defending a title is and how valuable the draft is for adding quality cheap talent. They just literally do not care to draft. It's bananas. They aren't just cap strapped in 2018. They are by and far the most cap strapped team for 2019 already. But it'll all work out because Wentz will play for cheap come 2020 right? Watching them that implode over the next two years is going to be delicious.

6. It's been a tough few months for Dallas fans. All the Zeke drama and the 9-7 to no where and Sodom city title. But our time comes draft day. Like many a team who fell short the reward comes Draft weekend. The event is being held here in Dallas and that will be a time to maximize this roster and salary cap. Dallas has a very good cache of draft picks and they've been using them well under McClay.

7. Dez Bryant is one of my favorite Cowboys. He plays with his heart of his sleeve and he's a competitor.
I do think he was at risk of cut at one point but the failed deal for Sammy Watkins and the overall insane contracts given to WR's likely mean he is back. The smart money has always pointed to an extension that creates a Watkins like deal going forward that costs far less this season.

8. Which player do you want?
Player A: Prior 3 seasons: 13.5 sacks, 91 tackles, 46 games played.
Player B: Prior 3 seasons: 11.5 sacks, 52 tackles, 35 games played.
As you may have guessed Player B is David Irving. A guy the entire fan base seems to have confused. He's shown immense flashes but his body of work has been pretty sparse.
Player A is Tyrone Crawford, resident fan whipping boy.
This is just context to hopefully shape some more sensible discussions.

9. Dak-friendly. This does not mean you have to rebuild the entire offense. This basically means maybe you could block for the guy. Especially on his blind side? Abebeta has done a masterful job breaking down Dak's numbers with 5 starting NFL OL in front of him and with the retreads we used at back up last year. Dak has to improve personally but simply giving him a legit LT makes him a top 10 QB statistically.

10. The Process. I am not sure if anyone has ever participated in process reviews or major ITIL/Six Sigma training but the first thing you learn is processes only work if followed to completion. You can't skip steps and pick and choose. If Dallas was going to overhaul the overpaid Romo-led star-driven team into a blue collar, young, hungry team they were going to have to draft and PLAY young guys. You should see the benefit of that process this year on the field as Dak, Zeke and those young DBs will be joined by more young, talented players.

Couple points:

1. Eagles are not having a meltdown in 2020. There are still a couple major contracts they have not even had to restructure. They will be fine at least until 2022. At which point, if they have a meltdown for a couple years, they will reload with high draft picks. The only player they may have trouble in 2020 with is their LT, but they already won the SB without him unfortunately.
2. The Cowboys could have played the same games last year with expenditures, but they chose not to. So we are where we are now.
3. That was not a fair comp between Irving and Crawford. Irving #s are ascending and he did not play in many games last year. So his potential is much higher.

LocimusPrime

Reaction score
Couple points:

1. Eagles are not having a meltdown in 2020. There are still a couple major contracts they have not even had to restructure. They will be fine at least until 2022. At which point, if they have a meltdown for a couple years, they will reload with high draft picks. The only player they may have trouble in 2020 with is their LT, but they already won the SB without him unfortunately.
2. The Cowboys could have played the same games last year with expenditures, but they chose not to. So we are where we are now.
3. That was not a fair comp between Irving and Crawford. Irving #s are ascending and he did not play in many games last year. So his potential is much higher.
#3 Crawford had double the snaps for the same stats

LocimusPrime

Reaction score
  • Let's put this in perspective, Crawford has nearly 1000 more snaps which is like 1.5 seasons of extra playtime. Shooot, give Irving another 1 1/2 seasons and he's putting up 10-15 more sacks easily

Silver Surfer

Reaction score
This is a Cowboys hope edition....

... The deal Sammy Watkins signed which most deem utterly insane costs 8m in year 1 cap hit. That is basically the Cowboys total free agent budget. 7-8M. I know they CAN do more, but unless a bargain jumps at them smart money is on 7-8M being their total outside FA spend.

I wonder if all the people running around here shrieking "The sky is falling" ever stopped to think that the Cowboys may have to see how the dust settles a little bit before acting.

Given the fact they have a limited budget, wouldn't it be smart to see who they're losing so they don't fill holes unnecessarily and, in doing so, spend the money they need to fill the real holes in their roster?