10 things I think I think

CCBoy

Reaction score
The Jags and Eagles cleared up cap space before starting their go for it approach.

The Cowboys lack the core to start a go for it approach. McClay and Stephen have to deal with issues that Jerry created like the Dez contract. They tried to avoid that contract but Jerry caved in because of emotional reasons. I wish they would go all in by cutting Dez and Witten, but that would be too much fan backlash.

I believe they will spend big at some point in the future but it's not the right time, IMO. Hopefully by next season they'll be ready to cut Dez/Witten and maybe Lee if he misses a big chunk of the season again.

College teams would have a hard time winning with the Cowboys WRs and with a TE that is slower than their OLinemen. If the WRs were NFL average or slightly above, then Witten would be OK, but as is the combination of a slow TE and terrible WR core is too much to overcome. They should consider drafting 2 WRs with their top 3 picks. They're going nowhere with the WRs they have now.

Or a free agent with quality and a top receiver via the draft..

waldoputty

Reaction score
The Jags and Eagles cleared up cap space before starting their go for it approach.

The Cowboys lack the core to start a go for it approach. McClay and Stephen have to deal with issues that Jerry created like the Dez contract. They tried to avoid that contract but Jerry caved in because of emotional reasons. I wish they would go all in by cutting Dez and Witten, but that would be too much fan backlash.

I believe they will spend big at some point in the future but it's not the right time, IMO. Hopefully by next season they'll be ready to cut Dez/Witten and maybe Lee if he misses a big chunk of the season again.

College teams would have a hard time winning with the Cowboys WRs and with a TE that is slower than their OLinemen. If the WRs were NFL average or slightly above, then Witten would be OK, but as is the combination of a slow TE and terrible WR core is too much to overcome. They should consider drafting 2 WRs with their top 3 picks. They're going nowhere with the WRs they have now.

not true.
we are in several continuous years of escalating cap.
that may well end by 2020 given the ratings and tv contract uncertainties.
with an annual increase of ~$10m or or so, it overrides dez's contract and more.
this was the case in 2017 and is the case now.
instead we missed out on 2 of dak's cheap contract years and zeke's prime years.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Appreciate that a thread of my thoughts went 5 pages. I won't debate them as it would be silly to debate my own thoughts but appreciate the comments nonetheless.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
not true.
we are in several continuous years of escalating cap.
that may well end by 2020 given the ratings and tv contract uncertainties.
with an annual increase of ~$10m or or so, it overrides dez's contract and more.
this was the case in 2017 and is the case now.
instead we missed out on 2 of dak's cheap contract years and zeke's prime years.
Are you still pushing for a 3-4...

waldoputty

Reaction score
Are you still pushing for a 3-4...

no need to change to a 3-4 with 2 daddies in dlaw and irving, assuming they stay daddies.

but that has nothing to do with salary cap structure and the opportunity wasted by the FO in 2017,