105.3 The Fan Reporting LVE 's 5th Year Option Declined

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
EXACTLY a pick that high absolutely has to be a day 1 starter not someone you're moving to fix another hole and waiting to put in the projected spot you drafted them. But I will say Slater would've gave us a monster at LG but we still would've had to fix more holes on D, no Parson, no Horn, no Surtain we would've been in full blown chase mode in my opinion the rest of the draft.
If Parsons was gone iI would've drafted Slater. I liked Slater the pick.....but for me to draft him it was gonna have to be like last season where I took Lamb over Chaisson. I take Slater if a Parsons isn't sitting there. That was my dilemma personally.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
He fell to us b/c of injury concerns of other teams...... and Jerry never passes on an opportunity to look smarter than someone else. We do this a lot.

I wouldn't say that's why he "fell". I don't recall too many people having him much higher than where the Cowboys got him. I also remember the injury concerns but the Cowboys seemed to have been confident in them.

Cowpolk

Landry Hat
Reaction score
Because CONSPIRACY!

And there's "hope" to re-sign him. It's wait and see. You think we'll sign him if he misses any significant amount of time?
If he does not play most of this season I suspect he will be cut I'm not 100% sure but have seen is was a broken color bone that benched him last season not the neck and I hope it was a collarbone injury Neck injuries are dangerous I know I have 1 and it is never going to go away.

FVSTONE

Reaction score
A player can't hone their skills from the sidelines. The kid is a great player when he healthy and hitting on all cylinders and I'm sure he would tell ya that at this point and time he doesn't deserve a 5th year contract with the Boys if he can't keep his end of the bargain.

Flamma

Reaction score
it was smart. The 5th year option was a little over 9 million and would be guaranteed. If he plays well, they can sign him for a lot less cap hit than 9 million next year and if he doesn't, they move on. Really no need to do the 5th year.

They can sign him to an extension now I believe. It wouldn't include the 5th year option.

There's only two scenarios where LVE signs for a lot less. If he signs prior to playing out his last year. Or if he does NOT play well in his last year.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Why is the fact that the Cowboys want to sign him to an extension being ignored? Yes they do not want tp pick up the 5TH year but no they do not want to cut him!
Wondering that myself.

There it was in a Risen post and peeps keep on going like it never happened.

SOP, I guess.

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score
They can sign him to an extension now I believe. It wouldn't include the 5th year option.

There's only two scenarios where LVE signs for a lot less. If he signs prior to playing out his last year. Or if he does NOT play well in his last year.

If you read what I wrote, I said "less cap hit than 9 million". They can sign him a nice 4 or 5 year contract that pays him a lot of money and the first year cap hit will be very small.

Bluefin

Reaction score
Potential is just a nine letter word that gets GM's fired.

Some GMs.
tenor.gif

Bluefin

Reaction score
Why is the fact that the Cowboys want to sign him to an extension being ignored? Yes they do not want tp pick up the 5TH year but no they do not want to cut him!
Dallas didn't want to commit to the 5th year option because it's immediately fully guaranteed under the new CBA.

Cowpolk

Landry Hat
Reaction score
Dallas didn't want to commit to the 5th year option because it's immediately fully guaranteed under the new CBA.

Yep but the negative nancies spun it in a way that attempts to make it sound like he is toast after this season. And that is not a fact

Flamma

Reaction score
If you read what I wrote, I said "less cap hit than 9 million". They can sign him a nice 4 or 5 year contract that pays him a lot of money and the first year cap hit will be very small.

Ok, but I'm not sure how small it would be if he gets a lot of money. Do you consider Jaylon getting a lot of money? His first two years is 7.7 and 9.8 Mil. And that's with signing him with one year left on his rookie deal to hide some bonus money. But I do agree the 5th year option in his case isn't saving Dallas any money right now.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Only in as much as Sean Lee was a bust.

Dude’s an all-pro linebacker when he’s healthy

This is absolute BS and I don't care about this all-pro. Anyone who watched young Sean Lee will know that LVE has never been on his level and most likely never will be outside of injury issues. This is what Sean Lee was doing early in his career

Sean Lee had HOF potential, LVE had good/great LB potential, but never the best.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
Not so fun fact: When he actually got on the field, LVE's overall grade was worse than Jaylon Smith's last year; and everybody knows how his season went.

These guys have a lot to prove with Micah Parsons and Jabril Cox just waiting to be the LB's we thought LVE and Smith were in 2018.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Barring Jaylon miraculously becoming good again and barring LVE miraculously having a 100% neck, I don't want either on the team next year.

And I think this is a signal that we may get them off the team if they don't produce. I get the sense that Jerry is done playing games with this defence. Shame it had to hit rock bottom.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score

Or they can franchise him. This gives the FO lots of options.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
If he does not play most of this season I suspect he will be cut I'm not 100% sure but have seen is was a broken color bone that benched him last season not the neck and I hope it was a collarbone injury Neck injuries are dangerous I know I have 1 and it is never going to go away.

I don't think cut unless absolutely necessary. I do see him being possible trade bait if needed. He also may land us a comp pick if the FO chooses not to retain him next year. Unless he gets hurt such that the best comp pick we can expect is a 7, then he'll probably be cut.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
He’s awesome when his collarbone isn’t broken.

to be fair, football players do get injured.

he made the Pro Bowl his first season.

im not hating on a player for a broken collar bone.