Video: 1967 Ice Bowl documentary

Diehardblues

Reaction score
There’s film of the first Cowboys/Packers NFL Champ game, as there is for all such games since at least 1958. However, that first C/P game has never been considered — other than by Cowboys and Packers fans — to be a particularly iconic NFL moment, as the Ice Bowl has become.

Similarly, we always see replays of the Jets beating the Colts in SB III, but rarely ever see film of the Chiefs knocking the snot out of the Vikings in SB IV.
It should be more Iconic. It decided most likely the 1st Super Bowl Champion.

But your right about not seeing as much about SB IV.
Which probably means it’s all about being more media driven much like Ice Bowl. Shocking... lol

GenoT

Reaction score
It should be more Iconic. It decided most likely the 1st Super Bowl Champion.

But your right about not seeing as much about SB IV.
Which probably means it’s all about being more media driven much like Ice Bowl. Shocking... lol
No one really took the first two SBs seriously at the time, as most folks believed it would take many years for the AFL to compete equally with the NFL. And GB’s dominance of the Chiefs and Raiders, respectively, seemed to confirm this.

Namath changed all that in SB III.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
No one really took the first two SBs seriously at the time, as most folks believed it would take many years for the AFL to compete equally with the NFL. And GB’s dominance of the Chiefs and Raiders, respectively, seemed to confirm this.

Namath changed all that in SB III.
Yep... SB III as a young teenager was a HUGE event. Namath became a Cultural Icon. We idolized him.

Those first two World Championship games as they were initially called were basically exhibition games. The NFL championship was already decided between Dallas and Green Bay.

It was until the merger was announced that they agreed that the game would determine the Official NFL Champ in which the Jets upset the Colts which was the first one called the Super Bowl when it was played . Later of course the Packers wins would be considered SB I and II.

Last edited:

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
True but back then it was just a game, no film or tape of that exists as far as I know.
The Ice Bowl was a big deal because of the extreme weather conditions.
Still the coldest game ever I think.

The packer coaches noticed a flaw with jethro pugh not going low enough, and they exploited that on the final td and qb sneak, they knew
they could get under him and push him back.
Hayes did give plays away, and evidently landry didnt notice it but the packer players did.

The cowboys also went up there with no winter gear lol, and the front blew in early, and they had to go shopping and buy
what they could.

I believe the coldest game ever was the playoff game in Cincinnati when they defeated Sd to play SF in the Sb in 1980 I think.
Which that was the year of the catch in SF. Which would have been my dream SB, Cowboys - Bengals, as I lived just North of Cincinnati then.

I think the windchill factor was like -57 with gusts or some extreme cold. Some Bengals players came out without long sleeves on.

CPanther95

Reaction score
Landry was criticized back during that era. Receiving a 10 year extension before having a winning season was widely criticized.

And we were called “ next years champs” which was a bash on Tom for choking in championship games and early playoff exits as heavy favorites in 68, 69 and our 1st SB major choke.

When you consider Landry was in 12 championship games in 17 years, 7 in 10 years in 70’s, 5 Super Bowls and only came away with 2 Rings was one of the greatest coming up short in NFL history. The Cowboys has an opportunity to set some marks that might not ever be broken.

We arguably lost to some greater teams like the Packers and Steelers but we had great teams as well with opportunities to win all of those championships.

"Next Year's Champions" was also the title of the 1978 Highlight reel that ultimately was changed to "America's Team".

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Yep... SB III as a young teenager was a HUGE event. Namath became a Cultural Icon. We idolized him.

Timing and charisma can take a guy a long way, Canton Ohio in Namath's case. He lost more games than he won, threw 47 more picks than TDs, barely completed half of his passes, yet he's enshrined and talked about as a great QB. The last time he beat a team with a winning record was SB III, a game where his Jets scored one TD played 9 years before he retired.

He was a cool guy who made a bold statement and his defense backed him up by holding the Colts to 7 points.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Timing and charisma can take a guy a long way, Canton Ohio in Namath's case. He lost more games than he won, threw 47 more picks than TDs, barely completed half of his passes, yet he's enshrined and talked about as a great QB. The last time he beat a team with a winning record was SB III, a game where his Jets scored one TD played 9 years before he retired.

He was a cool guy who made a bold statement and his defense backed him up by holding the Colts to 7 points.
A perfect example of how stats don’t tell the entire story. And why “ Impact” is a big part for consideration into the HOF.

Namath’s early years he was no doubt one of the greatest passers leading the league winning “ player of the year” equivalent to MVP and first QB to throw for over 4,000 yards.

Obviously it’s probably more difficult admiring his terrific arm and prolific passing ability if you didn’t grow up watching him. For a few years there weren’t many if any greater. Multiple surgeries to his knees definitely altered him ending his career sooner than he’d of liked.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Another thing I failed to consider in regards to the cold between the Ice Bowl and Freezer Bowl. The field in GB looked like it had been frozen over for some time leading up to that game. Making the field that much more unforgiving. That field had to be worse than the cold itself.

In Cinci, even though the field looked pristine, as if a cold front just came through with little to no snow, they were playing on that old artificial turf. I'm sure several of us had to chance to walk around or run on those fields? That stuff was crap. I wouldn't want to be tackled on that in the best of conditions, let alone -9 degrees. But I'll admit I don't know what happens to that turf when it gets that cold. But it can't get worse than the concrete earth.
You made me curious about that game, I will try and find out more about it or if it is on you tube.
Thing is in 81 teams had much better thermal underwear for cold games, and gloves that are better and made to handle a ball.
Better cloaks, and sideline heaters.
Back in 67 there were no gloves made for football players, and I wonder if they found thermal underwear, or just some sort of regular long
johns ?
The coldest weather I have been in is 13 degrees, and that is cold but with thermal und not too bad.
however I have been in a walk-in freezer that was 0 degrees, and that was cold, so I cant imagine
-9 with strong winds too. And then to be out there for 3 hour game , thats a long time in that type of cold

DandyDon52

Reaction score
There’s film of the first Cowboys/Packers NFL Champ game, as there is for all such games since at least 1958. However, that first C/P game has never been considered — other than by Cowboys and Packers fans — to be a particularly iconic NFL moment, as the Ice Bowl has become.

Similarly, we always see replays of the Jets beating the Colts in SB III, but rarely ever see film of the Chiefs knocking the snot out of the Vikings in SB IV.
Well many of the older games simply dont exist, on film or video, there may be clips of the game, that probably were found at some newstation.
Highlights or short clips, is all that exists for many games, there is no whole video of the whole game.
Even the first 2 SB's dont exist as a whole game.
I had nfl game pass, and they had a SB archive, which many many games were simply not there.Some that were missing I have found on you tube
so they didnt make a lot of effort when compiling their archive, or had a quality standard that was too high.
Thier regular season archive starts in 2010 or 11, and is missing some games from the first year, so since then they have been archiving all games
as complete games, before that, they probably only archived games they saw as unique in some way or just highlights.

It was the fans themselves, and thanks to the good ol vcr's ! that archived a lot of complete games. The nfl has the money
and the ability to get those games from fans, and then archive them , but they have made no effort, and I think are too cheap and stupid to do that.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
You made me curious about that game, I will try and find out more about it or if it is on you tube.
Thing is in 81 teams had much better thermal underwear for cold games, and gloves that are better and made to handle a ball.
Better cloaks, and sideline heaters.
Back in 67 there were no gloves made for football players, and I wonder if they found thermal underwear, or just some sort of regular long
johns ?
The coldest weather I have been in is 13 degrees, and that is cold but with thermal und not too bad.
however I have been in a walk-in freezer that was 0 degrees, and that was cold, so I cant imagine
-9 with strong winds too. And then to be out there for 3 hour game , thats a long time in that type of cold
It was so cold that the fields heater failed and why the surface was like ice and got worse as the game went on. Lilly talked later about the Frostbite he and others endured as a result of the conditions, lack of gear and technology to prepare for such conditions.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Well many of the older games simply dont exist, on film or video, there may be clips of the game, that probably were found at some newstation.
Highlights or short clips, is all that exists for many games, there is no whole video of the whole game.
I had nfl game pass, and they had a SB archive, which many many games were simply not there.Some that were missing I have found on you tube
so they didnt make a lot of effort when compiling their archive, or had a quality standard that was too high.
Thier regular season archive starts in 2010 or 11, and is missing some games from the first year, so since then they have been archiving all games
as complete games, before that, they probably only archived games they saw as unique in some way or just highlights.

It was the fans themselves, and thanks to the good ol vcr's ! that archived a lot of complete games. The nfl has the money
and the ability to get those games from fans, and then archive them , but they have made no effort, and I think are too cheap and stupid to do that.
Back in the 60’s we didn’t have VCR’s. Most didn’t even have Color TV’s then. I think we had our 1st one about 1965. But VCR’s didn’t become mainstream until early 80’s. My 1st one was over $400 which was a lot back then.

And most families like ours only had 1TV in their house. I recall later in the 70’s when my parents had one in their bedroom which was quite a luxury. When we were in college had to go to Student building to watch TV.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Cowboys had the better team that year IMO. Much improved from the previous season championship loss at Cotton Bowl which was Cowboys 1st playoff appearance.

The weather in Green Bay certainly didn’t play in our favor. That was the end of the Packers historic run in 60’s winning 5 NFL Titles.

We felt really confident heading into that game but when the weather turned frigid we knew it would be tougher. And the weather turned out to be the difference.

Birdgang

Reaction score
as much as GB and Dallas hate each other, Eagles hold a special place in their dark hearts. Lombardi being 9-1 really burns their rears.

Beaker42

Reaction score
The only other game I could think of was the 1981 AFC championship game (Freezer Bowl) between the Bengals and Chargers in regards to the cold. I'm finding similar results whenever I look them up. I'm seeing both at or near -9 degrees with similar wind chills of anywhere between -30s to -50s. Regardless of which was colder, I highly doubt any of us could tell the difference with that kind of cold.
That’s TOO cold for football. Don’t care what anybody says about it being an outdoor sport.

cowboyec

Reaction score
LEGENDS.
WIN OR LOSE.....FOREVER....WE ARE
:starspin:THE...DALLAS...COWBOYS:starspin:
':starspin:'MERICA'S TEAM:starspin:

GenoT

Reaction score

Maybe you’re too young (?) to know this but by the @mid 1950s, the NFL began saving all its *Championship* games from the national TV feed.

The 1966 game exists on film in its entirety, however, the fact that it hasn’t been rebroadcast in full is a matter of choice of the copyright holders and those channels which may or may not have a financial interest in doing so.

I couldn’t find the 1966 game on YouTube, but here’s the 1961 NFL Champ game...

cowboyec

Reaction score
helluva game.
hate the ending but never tire of watching those legends...in those conditions....battle.
amazing to watch.

Birdgang

Reaction score
Maybe you’re too young (?) to know this but by the @mid 1950s, the NFL began saving all its *Championship* games from the national TV feed.

The 1966 game exists on film in its entirety, however, the fact that it hasn’t been rebroadcast in full is a matter of choice of the copyright holders and those channels which may or may not have a financial interest in doing so.

I couldn’t find the 1966 game on YouTube, but here’s the 1961 NFL Champ game...

you can find them, it was not long ago Somone had them up. The problem is NBC held rights for the games and the videos got taken down. It started in like 1939 "Eagles no less " But was not a regualar thing. Not until 1948 did it become more mainstream and NFL televised its first championship game " eagles again" NFL Films did not start until 1962 , So the Tapes / Film is spread all over and pop up in old house clean outs.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Here is the freezer bowl, I watched it, and man did SD make a lot of mistakes and bad plays. SD vs Cin AFC Champ game -9 degrees,-59 chill factor. Sun was out though.
Chris colinsworth was a rookie, caught 1 1st down pass on a td drive.