1992: Real defensive speed

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by erod, Jun 27, 2022.

1. Bullflop

Bullflop Cowboys Diehard

CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
    22,359 Messages
    27,472 Likes Received
    Methinks it's high time to start living in the present and not the past . . . let's live for today. There are those who can and will make us winners. Seems too bad that this FO isn't willing to take the plunge that it takes to hire them. There's a solution in sight for a management willing to make it happen. ;)

2. StarBoyz83

StarBoyz83 Well-Known Member

16,821 Messages
    11,434 Likes Received
    Aikman had it like that. No other nfl qb ever had better teams around him tbh.

3. erod

erod Well-Known Member

33,628 Messages
    49,965 Likes Received
    Bradshaw, Montana, Young, Elway, Staubach, Warner.... there have been a few.

But agreed, Aikman didn't have to carry it.

4. CouchCoach

CouchCoach Moderator

CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
    37,876 Messages
    67,906 Likes Received
    #1 D in the league and not a pro bowler on it. That, is team defense and the best team tackling one I have ever seen.

Some D’s like to say “meet at the ball” but those players meant it. RAC was at a minimum because rarely was it one tackler.

They deserved a nickname and since Miami had already coined the “No Name D”, they should have been “The Swarm”.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2022
    khiladi likes this.
  5. TwoDeep3

TwoDeep3 Well-Known Member

13,015 Messages
    14,468 Likes Received
    As you watch it, you see Haley get a sack on Ripen. I'd suggest most of those of us who were around and watching the team at that time had the idea Haley tore it up that year.

That sack you see was one of six in that season.

Going into the 92, the sting of the Detroit game from the year before made it apparent Dallas needed a better end rusher. The story goes Jerry went out and got Haley.

Haley's stats in no way reflect his contribution in 1992. As teams focused on him, the rest of the line became meat eaters. Haley brought the mojo, but also was a leader that gave the line teeth.

Being the number one defense in 92 was great. But they were a bend don't break defense. It was the team speed which allowed Dallas to eventually dominate the game late.

khiladi likes this.
  6. Cowboysheelsreds053

Cowboysheelsreds053 Well-Known Member

13,495 Messages
    9,418 Likes Received
    LOL

7. atlantacowboy

atlantacowboy Well-Known Member

CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
    14,179 Messages
    19,020 Likes Received
    Thats one of my all-time favorite cowboy teams. They just kept getting better every week through the season, playoffs, and peaking in super bowl.

Texasfootball21 likes this.
  8. Texasfootball21

Texasfootball21 Well-Known Member

880 Messages
    784 Likes Received
    One word to describe the 1992 Dallas Cowboys "Hungry"

9. Whirlwin

Whirlwin Well-Known Member

CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
    18,769 Messages
    12,178 Likes Received
    Speed, speed, speed

10. Whirlwin

Whirlwin Well-Known Member

CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
    18,769 Messages
    12,178 Likes Received
    Can you say Larry Allen . Charles Haley. Give me one player like that on both sides of the ball and I’ll win you a championship.

11. sunalsorises

sunalsorises Well-Known Member

2,137 Messages
    3,480 Likes Received
    Put Jimmy in the ROH already.

12. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

51,959 Messages
    56,246 Likes Received
    Active for 2 games...

13. MTCowboyFan

MTCowboyFan Member

15 Messages
    67 Likes Received
    That '92 team was my favorite Cowboys team of all time. Just so damn dominant.

Beating the Niners in Candlestick Park was a helluva payback for The Catch and I was able to watch them in person at the Rose Bowl two weeks later beat the living shxx out of the Bills in the Super Bowl.

A dream come true for a Cowboys fan that watched them lose three consecutive NFC Championship games in the early 80's followed by a lengthy dry spell.

Kind of like we are experiencing now....

14. Typhus

Typhus Captain Catfish

14,249 Messages
    15,744 Likes Received
    Basically, had two starting DL rotations to play with, my how times have changed.
    FA installation was a direct result of this team having entirely too much depth.

15. KJJ

KJJ You Have an Axe to Grind

42,634 Messages
    21,018 Likes Received
    Our depth on defense with second to none in the early 90s. We had a great rotation and our backups could start for a lot of teams. We didn’t miss a beat when we rotated players. It kept our defense fresh the entire game.