2 Amazing Tidbits on Dak

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
So I was watching a re-run of Undisputed (Friday) and Skip Bayless brought two things to my attention that I wasn't aware of.

1) Dak Prescott, since becoming the starting QB of the Dallas Cowboys which has now spanned 3 years, has led more 4th quarter game winning drives than any other QB in the league during that span.

2) Dak Prescott, over the first three seasons of his career, has the highest completion rate of any QB in NFL "HISTORY".

Let that sink in.

Now I cringe like the rest of you when he misses some easy open receivers which could and should go for long gains; but stats don't lie. When he's called upon to lead this team to victory in a close game he always seems to answer the bell.

The dude flat out balls.

Dak's a keeper and when he finally solves his mechanics issues on those mid to deep balls, he's going to get the respect he deserves and start climbing the ladder on how the NFL views its QB hierarchy.

As an aside, our defense is finally performing like we've been hoping for, for over a decade now.

Add in the #1 rusher in the league. The sky's the limit.

Damn it feels good to be relevant again!

Lies, damn lies then stats as the saying goes. How many passes per game? How many yards? Dink and dunk completion and limited attempts per game helps a lot to. Collect stats....and a lot of those game we should have never been i. Position to have to make a come back if it wasnt for a fumble, or untimely interception in the end zone.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
He just needs to keep running.

Our offense lacks big plays through the air and we need him to get it going.

He looks much better when he’s running and playing up tempo from the spread.

Just keep driving the dang bus.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
He is a good QB with superior leadership. He still has flaws and throws a few bad passes each game, but he can correct that with further development.

His completion percentage is both a product of going to a good team and the fact his game is execution instead of gambling on big plays. He plays on a run-first team, which impacts his stats both positively and negatively.

He is a good QB that isn't elite, but very few of the league's elite QBs were at that level three years into their career. Some hadn't even played more than a few games at the same stage, if at all.

He has a chance to become elite and will be given the time to do so in Dallas, whether fans like it or not. Nothing to do now but sit back and read a half dozen posters here call me a "Daktard".

His leadership is elite. His confidence and clutch abilities are elite. His dual thread abilities are elite. Those first two are two of the most important ones to be elite at in my opinion.

If they opened up the offense for Dak and he threw the ball 40 times a game in a good scheme with 4 WR sets and a hurry up offense he would put up 300 yards games no problem.

You see that quite plainly when they do open it up and he gets in those hurry up situations. Why they dont do it more is a mystery.

Kaiser

Reaction score
His bad passes outnumber his good passes by a wide margin.

How do you complete two thirds of your passes if most of them are bad?

To your accuracy comments, the difference is Dak has OK accuracy but not the kind of pinpoint accuracy you see from Aaron Rodgers or you saw from Troy Aikman. There are plenty of QBs who win with exactly the level of accuracy Dak has now and while Dak has a few passes each game that are totally off, he has several each game that are pinpoint accurate.

On Development, Dak will never have the type of accuracy Aikman had but few QBs do. All he has to do is get his footwork and mechanics to a much higher level of consistency and he will be fine. You can look at tape of Tom Brady and see him making bad passes because no QB is at 100% consistency in their mechanics. You have some guys who did like Aikman or Payton Manning but most QBs with a Super Bowl ring didn't have it.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Dallas has ranked t-14th and 22nd in ppg the last 2 years. The offense has been a weakness since teams got an offseason's worth of film on the Dallas offense with Dak.

If you go by half seasons, the bad stretches were last year when Dez and Witten declined, and the first part of this year where Hurns was the #1 WR.

kiheikiwi

Maui No Ka Oi
Reaction score
I wish he was better in the first 3 quarters and on the easier throws.
He’s both frustrating and exhilarating.
I agree with your statement, he is both frustrating and exhilarating. And that is the main reason - well one of them, that I am all for Linehan and Moore being let go whenever our season is done. Dak is a good QB. I believe he can be much better, and become an even better QB if he gets a teacher. He needs someone to correct his footwork, his pocket awareness, and if possible help his accuracy.
For Dallas to become a power in this league, our QB needs work.
I believe he has it in him...

plasticman

Reaction score
His performance on 3rd and 8?

How long did you have to scour the NFL database for that one?

Here's another tidbit:

Since entering the NFL and starting immediately AS A ROOKIE, only one starting QB has more wins. His name is Tom Brady.

Brady also had exterior elements that contributed to his success from a clutch kicker that won SupernBowls in the final seconds to Hall of Fame recievers like Moss. He had a system that allowed him to develop ceated by possibly the best Head Coach in history.

In his first seven seasons, Brady never completed more than 64% of his passes. He also threw at least 12 INT's in each of those seasons.

It was Brady's hard work, tenacity poise and leadership that made him a winner and Dak is the same.

I don't know about the rest of the guys but I would rather have a winner than a blue chip passer as the quarterback.

Kaiser

Reaction score
I would put it more on opposing defenses faced and oline play personally.

Agree that was part of it. Other factors were when the OL play declined, defenses would run blitz Zeke all day. Also Dak had never had to deal with running for his life before, he is better at it now but he had a stretch where he didn't handle it well. A lot of QBs don't and Dak improved in rush awareness, but it was part of it.

Bigdog

Reaction score
One of Russell Wilson weakness when he came out of college was his accuracy on the deep ball but I think we all know how that has turned out. I think Dak will improve on his mechanics and his accuracy. At least I hope he does.

Gator88

Reaction score
Agree that was part of it. Other factors were when the OL play declined, defenses would run blitz Zeke all day. Also Dak had never had to deal with running for his life before, he is better at it now but he had a stretch where he didn't handle it well. A lot of QBs don't and Dak improved in rush awareness, but it was part of it.
Agree 100%

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
So I was watching a re-run of Undisputed (Friday) and Skip Bayless brought two things to my attention that I wasn't aware of.

1) Dak Prescott, since becoming the starting QB of the Dallas Cowboys which has now spanned 3 years, has led more 4th quarter game winning drives than any other QB in the league during that span.

2) Dak Prescott, over the first three seasons of his career, has the highest completion rate of any QB in NFL "HISTORY".

Let that sink in.

Now I cringe like the rest of you when he misses some easy open receivers which could and should go for long gains; but stats don't lie. When he's called upon to lead this team to victory in a close game he always seems to answer the bell.

The dude flat out balls.

Dak's a keeper and when he finally solves his mechanics issues on those mid to deep balls, he's going to get the respect he deserves and start climbing the ladder on how the NFL views its QB hierarchy.

As an aside, our defense is finally performing like we've been hoping for, for over a decade now.

Add in the #1 rusher in the league. The sky's the limit.

Damn it feels good to be relevant again!
Good post.

I would still want a solid TE for DAK to be his best passing.

The position disappeared again yesterday after the Gints good game.

Just a feeling.