2 high priced DE's

Hardline

Reaction score
What has Gregory done to make you think he will have a monster year?

dsturgeon

Reaction score
As it is we haven't played a single down this year and we're projected to be $18m to $22M over the cap even with the increase in 2022.
Its complicated by the fact we don't know who's going to show and who's going to fold. Or how the rookies are going to acclimate themselves to the pro game.

When you've got spending at $231M and a cap of $208M, something has to be done. And likely the FO couldn't tell you right now what that something is.
Still, we're one of 4 teams over the 2022 cap.

Best bet is we'll get a look at the plans as this season plays out.

Here's a look at the numbers:

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap-space/

That doesn't look good for signing a high priced L DE

dsturgeon

Reaction score
What has Gregory done to make you think he will have a monster year?

Gregory got close a bunch last year. That is coming off a long time not active, and missing the offseason and 6 games. They added talent and depth all around the defense. He has speed, pass rush moves, arm length, and a full offseason. He is going to do well. His problem has been staying on the field, not talent

He is one of many things to be excited about. It is going to be a fun year to watch the cowboys

dsturgeon

Reaction score
As it is we haven't played a single down this year and we're projected to be $18m to $22M over the cap even with the increase in 2022.
Its complicated by the fact we don't know who's going to show and who's going to fold. Or how the rookies are going to acclimate themselves to the pro game.

When you've got spending at $231M and a cap of $208M, something has to be done. And likely the FO couldn't tell you right now what that something is.
Still, we're one of 4 teams over the 2022 cap.

Best bet is we'll get a look at the plans as this season plays out.

Here's a look at the numbers:

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap-space/

what if his money comes from bonus's in 2021 and his contract is paid out in later years?

Batman1980

Reaction score
Gregory will have to sign a prove it deal even if he breaks out unless he breaks the sack record lol. 10.5 career sacks say the odds are in our favour.

garyo1954

Reaction score
what if his money comes from bonus's in 2021 and his contract is paid out in later years?

Way too early to (for me) to play "what ifs."
Plenty of people on the board will. Some will guess.
Some may be right.

And I'm sure the FO has started running projections on what they will do in different scenarios.

Maxmadden

Reaction score
Having a hard time worrying about things that "might" happen a year from now. Now if you are talking about WR then I could understand because that is definitely coming to a head but even then it is a year away and who knows what could change in a year.

dsturgeon

Reaction score
Way too early to (for me) to play "what ifs."
Plenty of people on the board will. Some will guess.
Some may be right.

And I'm sure the FO has started running projections on what they will do in different scenarios.

I am hoping someone who is in to this stuff, can give a good assessment, including money they can be let go or restructured, and how the contract will play out and fit with the other contracts.

A realistic scenario of signing Gregory if he turns out to be one of the top couple L DE's in the league

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
I think he has a shot at top 3 in the league

EdibleColorfulAtlanticsharpnosepuffer-size_restricted.gif

Guys.

I don't think Jerry Jones or Jason Garrett or even the "everyone hates us but us!" national perception is why this board is so negative all the time. It's you, all of you, you do it to yourselves. This offseason I've seen these threads:

1. Dak as the odds-on comeback player of the year favorite
2. Dak being mentioned as league MVP
3. Michael Gallup, Ceedee Lamb, Amari Cooper all expected to have big breakout years.
4. Ezekiel Elliot is returning to rookie form, league leader in rushing.
5. People have said the O-line once again becoming one of the best (if not THE BEST) in the league
6. Many times, the perception is Dan Quinn making your defense top 10, despite no major additions beyond some rookies. 27th to 10th overnight. the worst run d to one of the best due to the scheme change. Or because you brought in the 2 safeties from the league's worst pass defense in Atlanta (yes really) for a combined 5m$.
7. Micah Parsons battling Jabril Cox for defensive player of the year
8. One guy even said, "There isn't a defense in the league who can hold dallas under 40". I was chastised for disputing it, despite no team IN NFL HISTORY scoring more than 37 ppg. Dallas even in 2019 when they led the league in yards only scored 26 ppg. But now no one will hold them under 40.
9. And now this. Not top 3 on the team in sacks, not top 3 in the division, not even an impressive double digit sack season. He's going to be top 3 in the entire NFL in sacks, despite being drafted 7 seasons ago and alotting 10.5 for that whole span.

How many of your starters won't make the NFC pro bowl roster this year? 5? less?

Injuries, bad decisions, lack of commitment, time away... these arent excuses for why he only has 10.5 sacks so far, those are REASONS he doesn't. Reasons he's a fringe starter at this point for the Cowboys. But now he has "a shot" at being top 3 in the world. Let's look at the two guys who would have then been above him if he'd done it in previous 6 seasons:

2020: If Randy Gregory placed third in sacks, he'd be behind only TJ Watt and Aaron Donald
2019: the two guys he'd be chasing to end up third had 19.0 and 19.5 sacks. Demarcus Lawrence, Khalil Mack, even Von Miller have never had sack totals this high in their life.
2018: JJ Watt and Aaron Donald, who led the league with 20.5
2017: Vic Beasley, Von Miller
2016: JJ Watt, Khalil Mack
2015: Justin Houston, JJ Watt (both had over 20 sacks)

So the argument here is that for the last 6 seasons, on your bench or in your doghouse you've had the next Chandler Jones, the next Von Miller, the next JJ Watt on your roster. He has "a real shot" at exceeding the best seasons Khalil Mack, Frank Clark, Myles Garrett, even Robert Mathis have ever had. This is why there's so many fights on this board, so much angst. Even the most positive posters set themselves up for failure. Is it technically possible Randy Gregory is the sack champ? Sure. It's technically possible he gets 40 sacks. But with all the things Dallas is expected to do this season, it's half expected you find a way to get more than 17 wins in your 17 games. If you go around to other boards, you'll find optimism, but nothing as nuts as this. It's almost as if people here feel the NFL owes you something, that you deserve these things. That these players will be better simply because they play for Dallas as opposed to Miami or Seattle or Cleveland.

And now Randy Gregory is about to be one of the greatest pass rushers on planet Earth.

Not Dee Ford. Move over Danielle Hunter. The Chase Young era is over before it even began...

Not a pro bowl year, not 12+ sacks. We're talking first or second team all pro, 16, 17, 18+ sack season to line up with the top 3 of previous years. When people talk about the greatest season a Dallas Cowboy edge has ever had, they'll bring up Demarcus Ware 2008, Demarcus Ware 2011, and Randy Gregory 2021.

Randy... Gregory

It's not holding your team to a higher standard, it's you guys setting your own fanbase up for another bitter 2022 offseason.

Last edited:

dsturgeon

Reaction score
Having a hard time worrying about things that "might" happen a year from now. Now if you are talking about WR then I could understand because that is definitely coming to a head but even then it is a year away and who knows what could change in a year.

WR and DE is the same conversation. Gregory and Gallup's contracts are up at the same time. Cooper and lamb are signed for 4 more years. L DE is a major position. If they can't pay L DE then maybe there is money for gallup.

garyo1954

Reaction score
I am hoping someone who is in to this stuff, can give a good assessment, including money they can be let go or restructured, and how the contract will play out and fit with the other contracts.

A realistic scenario of signing Gregory if he turns out to be one of the top couple L DE's in the league

That's a fools errand.

kskboys

Reaction score
Gregory has top 5 talent. This has always been known.

If he has a good season and then turns around and insists on a maxed out contract, he is nothing short of a major POS.

dsturgeon

Reaction score
EdibleColorfulAtlanticsharpnosepuffer-size_restricted.gif

Guys.

I don't think Jerry Jones or Jason Garrett or even the "everyone hates us but us!" national perception is why this board is so negative all the time. It's you, all of you, you do it to yourselves. This offseason I've seen these threads:

1. Dak as the odds-on comeback player of the year favorite
2. Dak being mentioned as league MVP
3. Michael Gallup, Ceedee Lamb, Amari Cooper all expected to have big breakout years.
4. Ezekiel Elliot is returning to rookie form, league leader in rushing.
5. People have said the O-line once again becoming one of the best (if not THE BEST) in the league
6. Many times, the perception is Dan Quinn making your defense top 10, despite no major additions beyond some rookies. 27th to 10th due to the scheme change
7. Micah Parsons battling Jabril Cox for defensive player of the year
8. One guy even said, "There isn't a defense in the league who can hold dallas under 40". I was chastised for disputing it, despite no team IN NFL HISTORY scoring more than 37 ppg. Dallas even in 2019 when they led the league in yards only scored 26 ppg. But now no one will hold them under 40.
9. And now this. Not top 3 on the team in sacks, not top 3 in the division, not even an impressive double digit sack season. He's going to be top 3 in the entire NFL in sacks, despite being drafted 7 seasons ago and alotting 10.5 for that whole span.

How many of your starters won't make the NFC pro bowl roster this year? 5? less?

Injuries, bad decisions, lack of commitment, time away... these arent excuses for why he only has 10.5 sacks so far, those are REASONS he doesn't. Reasons he's a fringe starter at this point for the Cowboys. But now he has "a shot" at being top 3 in the world. Let's look at the two guys who would have then been above him if he'd done it in previous 6 seasons:

2020: If Randy Gregory placed third in sacks, he'd be behind only TJ Watt and Aaron Donald
2019: the two guys he'd be chasing to end up third had 19.0 and 19.5 sacks. Demarcus Lawrence, Khalil Mack, even Von Miller have never had sack totals this high in their life.
2018: JJ Watt and Aaron Donald, who led the league with 20.5
2017: Vic Beasley, Von Miller
2016: JJ Watt, Khalil Mack
2015: Justin Houston, JJ Watt (both had over 20 sacks)

So the argument here is that for the last 6 seasons, on your bench or in your doghouse you've had the next Chandler Jones, the next Von Miller, the next JJ Watt on your roster. He has "a real shot" at exceeding the best seasons Khalil Mack, Frank Clark, Myles Garrett, even Robert Mathis have ever had. This is why there's so many fights on this board, so much angst. Even the most positive posters set themselves up for failure. Is it technically possible Randy Gregory is the sack champ? Sure. It's technically possible he gets 40 sacks. But with all the things Dallas is expected to do this season, it's half expected you find a way to get more than 17 wins in your 17 games. If you go around to other boards, you'll find optimism, but nothing as nuts as this. It's almost as if people here feel the NFL owes you something, that you deserve these things. That these players will be better simply because they play for Dallas as opposed to Miami or Seattle or Cleveland. It's not holding your team to a higher standard, it's setting your own fanbase up for another bitter 2022 offseason.

And now Randy Gregory is about to be one of the greatest pass rushers on planet Earth.

Not Dee Ford. Move over Danielle Hunter. The Chase Young era is over before it even began... because Randy Gregory.

If gregory has a top season of players in the league at L DE, do you think the cowboys can afford his contract? That is kind of the point. If he doesn't play good, I think the cowboys would be able to work something out

L DE is one of the top positions you want to be talented at. Gregory is the cowboys best option, assuming he plays well

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
If gregory has a top season of players in the league at L DE, do you think the cowboys can afford his contract?

Yes definitely. Moving money around to fit a player under the cap is possible for every team if they really want to do it. And Jerry loves him the flashiest positions, of which edge rusher is definitely one.

dsturgeon

Reaction score
Gregory has top 5 talent. This has always been known.

If he has a good season and then turns around and insists on a maxed out contract, he is nothing short of a major POS.

I want to agree with you there, but the cowboys knew the risks. That is why he fell to round 2, and the cowboys bet on him. They lost that bet as far as a rookie contract goes, and that is on them.

If gregory has turned everything around, plays likes like he should, I don't see him not getting the money he deserves for his skill. I don't like it, it doesn't have to be right, but i gaurentee there are a bunch of team that would take the risk on his 2nd contract.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
If Randy Gregory gets re-signed as a DE next year or not, I expect a DE being drafted pretty high next year. We'll see what occurs with Randy, regardless of what he does this year. I think Dan Quinn will want to acquire another DE very much in 2022.

CWR

Reaction score
Randy Gregorys contract is up after this year.

It is an assumption that he will have a monster year, but I think he will. The pretense of the thread is that Gregory is top 3 or so in sacks. The cowboys are paying a high priced DE, QB, WR, LB'er, and offensive tackles.

1. Can the cowboys have 2 high priced DE's
2. For people who know the cap, do they currently have the money to sign him
3. If the cowboys sign Gregory, what major players can't they sign
4. If they do sign him, I am assuming that will mean cheap contracts and league minimums at a lot of positions. Do you think the cowboys have filled their roster holes well, and have they done well with all the young guys on their team

As far as the money and cap issues on this thread, if you don't know the books and the cap, don't answer that part

Not a cap expert by any means but the way its anticipated to go up combined with taking different cap hits at different times make me believe we can re-sign anyone we cant stomach losing.

Gallup for example would be awesome to retain, but its probably irresponsible to do so when we have so much tied up in Coop and Lamb. We can stomach the loss because of our other weapons.