2 high priced DE's

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Randy Gregorys contract is up after this year.

It is an assumption that he will have a monster year, but I think he will. The pretense of the thread is that Gregory is top 3 or so in sacks. The cowboys are paying a high priced DE, QB, WR, LB'er, and offensive tackles.

1. Can the cowboys have 2 high priced DE's
2. For people who know the cap, do they currently have the money to sign him
3. If the cowboys sign Gregory, what major players can't they sign
4. If they do sign him, I am assuming that will mean cheap contracts and league minimums at a lot of positions. Do you think the cowboys have filled their roster holes well, and have they done well with all the young guys on their team

As far as the money and cap issues on this thread, if you don't know the books and the cap, don't answer that part
Good question.
I hope Gregory balls out like crazy and forces the FO to make some hard decisions.
I think he's not as big of a risk now as he was, no matter if he's truly a changed man, or not.

Some of the best Cowboys players have not been anywhere close to saints.

I'm looking forward to this season and furthering this discussion as we watch how he does.

plasticman

Reaction score
Can we just enjoy the 2021 season before discussing the inevitable reality of witnessing legitimate talent leaving the Cowboys to enter the free agency market?

Can we at least wait until some heartbreaking scenario where the upcoming season begins to unravel?

I am way too early in may stage of naïve optimism, hope and excitement to discuss this depressing subject.

dsturgeon

Reaction score
Can we just enjoy the 2021 season before discussing the inevitable reality of witnessing legitimate talent leaving the Cowboys to enter the free agency market?

Can we at least wait until some heartbreaking scenario where the upcoming season begins to unravel?

I am way too early in may stage of naïve optimism, hope and excitement to discuss this depressing subject.

what is there to make threads about right now

plasticman

Reaction score
what is there to make threads about right now
Oh, I don't know, maybe the upcoming season and how the Cowboy players might contribute to it's success?

Seriously, my fellow posters should always discuss what they wish. It's just my way of saying that I suspect the reality will be unpleasant given that T-Law counts a whopping $25 million against this years salary cap. The team is financially committed to him.

There is a "double edge sword" to the quality of Gregory's season. The better he plays, the more likely he won't be around for 2022....and that is a reality.

Dang! Now I'm bummed out.

kskboys

Reaction score

You could always avoid threads discussing stuff like this.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
Oh, I don't know, maybe the upcoming season and how the Cowboy players might contribute to it's success?

Seriously, my fellow posters should always discuss what they wish. It's just my way of saying that I suspect the reality will be unpleasant given that T-Law counts a whopping $25 million against this years salary cap. The team is financially committed to him.

There is a "double edge sword" to the quality of Gregory's season. The better he plays, the more likely he won't be around for 2022....and that is a reality.

Dang! Now I'm bummed out.

I think you might have this backwards. Lawrence might be gone next year. Why pay him for little production? Next year they can dump him and save money.

plasticman

Reaction score
I think you might have this backwards. Lawrence might be gone next year. Why pay him for little production? Next year they can dump him and save money.
Yep, and you know, if Gallup truly balls out, with the salary cap restraints that is sure to come, our trio of excellent receivers could dwindle down to one by the start of 2022.

Well, that pretty much neutralized all the great feelings of anticipation I have for this season, knowing that this pool of talent will be significantly diluted afterwards, thus insuring that it cannot be repeated while plunging the team back into it's familiar pattern of devastating disappointment every other year.

I'll be going to sleep now after first taking slightly more than the prescribed amount of my medication.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
Yep, and you know, if Gallup truly balls out, with the salary cap restraints that is sure to come, our trio of excellent receivers could dwindle down to one by the start of 2022.

Well, that pretty much neutralized all the great feelings of anticipation I have for this season, knowing that this pool of talent will be significantly diluted afterwards, thus insuring that it cannot be repeated while plunging the team back into it's familiar pattern of devastating disappointment every other year.

I'll be going to sleep now after first taking slightly more than the prescribed amount of my medication.

That’s the spirit.

John813

Reaction score
If Gregory is top 3 in sacks then I doubt we could afford him.

His main weakness for contract/playing time was weed and now they don't test for it anymore.

A pass rushing RDE with low miles that has the physical traits to be a 4-3 DE or 3-4 OLB should get a pretty penny.

IMO this team needs to address edge one more time in the 2022 draft.

quickccc

Reaction score

It is an assumption that he will have a monster year, but I think he will. The pretense of the thread is that Gregory is top 3 or so in sacks. The cowboys are paying a high priced DE, QB, WR, LB'er, and offensive tackles.

4. If they do sign him, I am assuming that will mean cheap contracts and league minimums at a lot of positions. Do you think the cowboys have filled their roster holes well, and have they done well with all the young guys on their team

As far as the money and cap issues on this thread, if you don't know the books and the cap, don't answer that part

yes the Cowboys can have two high priced DE's, ..as the NFL cap goes up, there can/will be a wider rational spread of cap money available.
you just have to determined Gregory's value and long term status from this point on. If he performs substantially, as a full time starter, regardless of scheme, or DC,
You'd be re-signing him as he will be one of the very best DEs in the NFL, and will be paid accordingly.

Now could there be a scenario where Cowboys do a DLaw- franchise tag for another one year prove it deal to see if he will be the real deal as a full time starter in back to back seasons ?
Only problem with that is tagging freezes up cap manuver while placing a huge roster dollar on one single player.

Another is Gregory isn't exactly a young spring chicken coming right out of college. I believe he'll be 29 years of age this coming November.
So giving that he breaks out with a stand out season, it could lead up to a 3-4 year deal that could well be his final shot at a big contract.

The only optimistic side to that because of all of the career suspensions, is his body should not carry the wear tear toll that other NFL players likely will,

o_O

quickccc

Reaction score

You sign or re-sign the big name, core guys - the ones that set the tone, the ones that you are counting most to be cornerstones on a long term basis
.... you do not sign or re-sign average players to big money contracts (per Stephen Jones philosophy) .. ala Crawford, Hitchen, Damien WIlson, ..Anthony Brown, Jordan Lewis, etc.
The average guys are the role play ones that you'd want on minimal/cheap contracts, ..they are " Fillers "

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If he has a standout year and makes a name for himself, they will pay him whatever necessary to keep him. Any player that can justify Booger's risk in him gets to stay, see Jaylon Smith, the Cornerstone.

Gregory needs to show up more and not be so erratic. Lawrence is getting all of the attention, Gregory should make more out of that.

The cap is climbing and the Cowboys are one of the teams that will not use that to build around the stars, they will give the stars more money making the draft even more critical and I am not saying that is a bad way to go but very little wiggle room around the young affordable players they need to make a team.

fansince68

Reaction score

Gregory still owes the Cowboys money from his dark days. Hometown discount. I do worry that we assume Gregory is going to have a great season. We still have to see if our soft middle has been reinforced to stop teams from running all over us.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

Yes most teams can find a way to create room to sign almost any given player. Can we sign randy to a big contract? Yes we can but we shouldn't. Let another team pay him max money, but if he wants a tier 2 deal we could talk.

quickccc

Reaction score
If Gregory is top 3 in sacks then I doubt we could afford him.

His main weakness for contract/playing time was weed and now they don't test for it anymore.

A pass rushing RDE with low miles that has the physical traits to be a 4-3 DE or 3-4 OLB should get a pretty penny.

IMO this team needs to address edge one more time in the 2022 draft.

yes we can, ..

In fact, once the new NFL TV deal is due and done, that team cap around the NFL will expand and widened
the NFL cap league wise.
unless these NFL teams are already signed on so many other players to so many average ones, (ala KC with Hitchen and now departed Damien Wilson)
and manage to screw up their cap way before that TV deal.

Cowboys are not one of those cap strapped teams. And they've already re-signed their franchise QB that ends any tag-threat that will also allow them
to move and manuever cap dollars from existing contracts, to make more room for pending contract negotiations.

The bottom line, if the Cowboys really want to re-sign and keep Gregory, if they really think he is a cornerstone core player, they will re-sign him to a lucrative
long term contract.
If they don't think Gregory is a core player to keep, then they will allow him to depart in FA, to the highest bidder.

That other DE side will need to watch, imo.
If 20+ million a year DLaw comes up with just a mere 4-5 sacks again, then it may be time to try to take a big hit and come up with another hopeful edge DE.

:oops:

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I don’t know that this discussion is even worth having. As you noted, it’s only an assumption Gregory will have a monster year, but the reality is it would only be an assumption that will even have a good enough year to say he is above average.

Too much time has passed, and too many games have been missed, even full seasons, plus he hasn’t proved to be special even when he has played.

Maybe that’s only because of the inconsistent availability - or maybe not - but I have to finally see something more than we have over these last 5-6 years before I start worrying about how to pay him. I don’t think it’s even a certainty we will want to keep him at all.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Just me, but I think if you look at how Stephen handled DLaw 2nd contract, you get some indication of what Gregory can expect. Based on DLaw interviews during nego, Stephen promised him a new deal if he had TWO straight years of double-digit sacks. 2015 he had 8 sacks and was placed on IR 2016 after only 1. But had 14.5 sacks 2017 which he was tagged and 10.5 in 2018.........signed his new deal in 2019.

As for Gregory, I seriously doubt he will get a market value offer from Stephen after this season even with let's say 15+ sacks. If that happens, my guess Stephen will give him a choice ........long-term team-friendly low ball offer OR franchise tag with a promise of top 5 deal if he repeats 2021.

BTW.......notice DLaw only has 2 years left on his deal after this year. We could easily restructure .......

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/dallas-cowboys/demarcus-lawrence-14443/stats-valuation/