Is the swing tackle on the roster? (Question 20 of 20)

Cowboyny

Reaction score
You would think the club would have to look on the street, or trade conditional pick for vet help. (good luck on what's quality and available at that point)
But i expect that will be late down to the final 53 cut count.

They'll give those two very young, inexperience guys every bit of chance to compete and perform well, before making decision to look for vet help elsewhere.
A player like D. Williams is out there from Buffalo who has started in this league, they were also talking with a player from Indy prior to the draft. Could easily find a capable backup, but you are right, they want to give their prospects the opportunity to seize the job, before they look outside.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think it's gonna be a particular twist, condition this year:

- Once and when Tyron gets injured, ..rookie Tyler will move over to LT (his future heir apparent role) while McGovern fills-subs at LG.
- Plan B with McGovern- have someone ready on-hand to replace him, should he struggle again as a starter.
- i expect both Waletsko and Ball to see an amount of time at RT in camp... best man wins, will be likely fill in should Steele get dinged.

I don’t think the team will be quick to move Tyler Smith to left tackle this year. They could revisit things if Waletsko is terrible, but I think they would prefer to give Tyler a season at guard before they even think about putting him out at tackle.

That’s my opinion anyway.

quickccc

Reaction score
I don’t think the team will be quick to move Tyler Smith to left tackle this year. They could revisit things if Waletsko is terrible, but I think they would prefer to give Tyler a season at guard before they even think about putting him out at tackle.

That’s my opinion anyway.

Not permanently to LT . but if it's an injury pinch, i do see him moving outside there.
Especially if the club has in their mind, as who is the best LT option in an emergency, Tyler or Wally. .

As you said, If Waletsko impresses that much this entire summer, then there will be no urgency to move Tyler over, and he can stay centered and progress and focus solely at LG this year.

But If Wally does not impress, and has his struggles, and there's no other options, then Tyler is sliding outside to LT in a injury pinch. ..
it's gonna be about the next best LT option

Entire camp and preseason means everything.. and hopefully fans are gonna to try to be patient and no knee jerk reaction if they hear Wally struggling in just the first two camp days.
Play it out into mid preseason to see if there's gradual progress and improvement.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not permanently to LT . but if it's an injury pinch, i do see him moving outside there.
Especially if the club has in their mind, as who is the best LT option in an emergency, Tyler or Wally. .

As you said, If Waletsko impresses that much this entire summer, then there will be no urgency to move Tyler over, and he can stay centered and progress and focus solely at LG this year.

But If Wally does not impress, and has his struggles, and there's no other options, then Tyler is sliding outside to LT in a injury pinch. ..
it's gonna be about the next best LT option

Entire camp and preseason means everything.. and hopefully fans are gonna to try to be patient and no knee jerk reaction if they hear Wally struggling in just the first two camp days.
Play it out into mid preseason to see if there's gradual progress and improvement.

I just have this gut feeling that the team knows that Tyler Smith isn’t ready to play outside in the NFL. And I feel that they will look to any and every alternative to putting him out there this year.

kskboys

Reaction score
Considering the swing tackle is asked to be able to play both Left Tackle and/or Right tackle in case of injury, I'm not sure we have a competent swing tackle at this stage.
To be fair, not many teams do, but I would of felt better with more depth like early last year with Knight and Steele as the backups before Collins suspended himself.

Matt W is a project and I'll be amazed if any coach thinks he's active roster ready this year.
Tyler Smith has gotten reps at LT in MC, to be determined if he is the answer at LT if Tyron goes down. Smith is raw, and asking him to start at guard and also practice at LT is a tough task.
Then that leads to Right Tackle, in case Steele goes down. We have Josh Ball as a potential backup, who unfortunately got very little reps in training camp in 2021 due to an ankle injury. Martin could slide out to RT if need be, but it seems like either the coaches or Martin don't care for him to play there unless it's an emergency.

Behind the starters we have Josh Ball and Matt W, with Tyler Smith possibly being a LT in a pinch. So, 4 set tackles on the roster including the starters.

I'd assume the FO will be more active once TC starts and wondering if they should bring back Tevi once the pads come on.

Edit* To be fair, Steele was a huge question mark last year when he was asked to step in for Collins again, but he looked a lot better in 2021 than 2020
Wally disappears quickly if he's not.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/20-is-the-swing-tackle-currently-on-the-roster

#20, about the swing tackle.
This one also has been discussed.

more DC.com opinions here.

I'll take some of Nick and some of Kyle.

Nick has a good point that they could move Tyler to RT, and make Steele the swing.

Kyle has the better point that we don't need "the" swing tackle, we need a backup at LT, and a backup at RT. Doesn't have to be the same guy. Tyler as the backup LT makes a lot of sense. That's what he's done. That's what we want him to do in the future.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
I personally think Waletzko will start out a little squirrely, but he could turn out to be a good player.

I'm eyeing him as the swing tackle.

Keep Tyler Smith at guard.

His processing seems a little slow, like when he talks and thinks. But I've seen that not translate on the field. And with him, I think he's likely pretty tough. He looks tough out there. Takes a beating well.. and protects the QB.

Like KSK said, he's super physically-talented. Needs some coaching. But he could work out as swing for sure.

After all, your swing is your back up tackle. They drafted someone who is actually more physically gifted than Tyron Smith is.

If you notice, the Cowboys no longer draft athletes with big, huge guts. Not on the offensive line. They like their guys with strong abs, who can bend, who can get low. There's really not one fat arse on the team. Maybe Ridgeway. But he's even a little ripped. I can see him bulking up some.

Yes. Waletzko. This kid is way too physically talented to be cut. All he needs are a few tweaks to his technique and a bit of strength.

9.96 RAS.

He's literally through the roof.

Last edited: