***2013 Nfl Draft Round 1 Discussion Thread***

plymkr

Reaction score
I'm pretty disappointed with tonight. Not with Freddy, I'll reserve judgement on this cat till I see him in action. He's a cowboy now and I'm a big fan of him and hope he wears the star with pride. As far as what's his dumb face saying he is a 3rd round talent, I don't care about that stuff either. They're all going to be rookies and who knows how their careers will shape out. I think that grading system thing is a fool's attempt to try and use science to measure luck. Grades and all that junk doesn't mean anything when the guys step on the field. Personally I am happy we picked an interior linemen, we needed help in the trenches and we took a shot for it.

Here's what I am angry at. To move up from 31-18 the 49ers only gave us a 3rd. Terrible, terrible trade. The difference between a real gm and a want-to-be-gm who hasn't learned anything in 20+ years is this. Patriots got a 2nd,3rd,4th and 7th to let Vikings trade back into the first round. Jerry only got a 3rd to swap 18 and 31.

Patriots are perpetual Super Bowl contenders with a good front office
Cowboys are perpetual 8-8 play off watchers with a bad front office.

That's why I'm mad, same story, different year. Someone seriously needs to have an intervention with this guy cuz he just does not get it. He got schooled by real football people.

bsheeern

Reaction score
Looks like an immediate starter with the 31st pick. At one of our biggest positions of need and can play 3 positions.

Seen all the film And tape I need to see to understand he is anchor who can pull. Not a sexy pick but will make this team better as of an hour ago.

Biggest mistake I see is that some here really think he would have been available at 47.

9 OL taken in round 1. 9!!!!!

The draft has changed people. NO Running Backs and 1 Quarterback taken in round 1.

Trajan

Reaction score
Pathetic performance from Jerry and crew, but sadly what we all should expect.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
zrinkill;5060146 said:
I am officially done with Jerry Jones ....... red faced drunk idiot tries to outsmart everyone ..... even his own coaches and scouts

Trade2_042513_650.jpg

Boy you got that right!!!!!:bow:

hsfolk

Reaction score
I'm interested in seeing what Rob Ryan can do with Kenny Vaccaro in his defense

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
plymkr;5061630 said:
I'm pretty disappointed with tonight. Not with Freddy, I'll reserve judgement on this cat till I see him in action. He's a cowboy now and I'm a big fan of him and hope he wears the star with pride. As far as what's his dumb face saying he is a 3rd round talent, I don't care about that stuff either. They're all going to be rookies and who knows how their careers will shape out. I think that grading system thing is a fool's attempt to try and use science to measure luck. Grades and all that junk doesn't mean anything when the guys step on the field. Personally I am happy we picked an interior linemen, we needed help in the trenches and we took a shot for it.

Here's what I am angry at. To move up from 31-18 the 49ers only gave us a 3rd. Terrible, terrible trade. The difference between a real gm and a want-to-be-gm who hasn't learned anything in 20+ years is this. Patriots got a 2nd,3rd,4th and 7th to let Vikings trade back into the first round. Jerry only got a 3rd to swap 18 and 31.

That's why I'm mad, same story, different year. Someone seriously needs to have an intervention with this guy cuz he just does not get it. He got schooled by real football people.

You do realize NE dropped completely out of the first round. They went from 29 to 52 and got a worse third than we got, a high fourth and a pretty worthless seventh. Not exactly a haul. Plus NE could've really used Patterson.

Fredd

Reaction score
If you believe in the point value system, the Patriots trade was basically a wash for both teams, thus, a fair trade...Minny already had two first rounders and getting a 3rd one is enough for a team that is trying to contend right away

now, our trade is an 80-point loss for us...to make it more even, they should have gotten an additional 4th rounder...if you were watching the live feed, Jason looked pissed by the move...who knows if it was because he wanted to draft someone or he thought the trade was not enough...(or both)...

Eddie

Reaction score
All I know is:

- there was a top ten talent available at #18
- we traded back 13 spots with only a 3rd rounder as compensation
- we took a position of need who we could have had 20 picks later

Jerry, Jerry, Jerry !!!

Dodger12

Reaction score
bsheeern;5061653 said:
Looks like an immediate starter with the 31st pick. At one of our biggest positions of need and can play 3 positions.

Seen all the film And tape I need to see to understand he is anchor who can pull. Not a sexy pick but will make this team better as of an hour ago.

Biggest mistake I see is that some here really think he would have been available at 47.

He's the slowest center drafted in 20 years and if you've seen the tape, he can't pull so I'm not sure what tape you're looking at. At best, we must hope that he can be an anchor.

Eddie

Reaction score
Dodger12;5062111 said:
He's the slowest center drafted in 20 years and if you've seen the tape, he can't pull so I'm not sure what tape you're looking at. At best, we must hope that he can be an anchor.

He's a BIG boy ... 340 lbs.

What happened to the smaller, more nimble OC's that we've been coveting?

Then again, maybe he won't get blown back into the QB like Costa.

fanfromvirginia

Inconceivable!
Reaction score
bsheeern;5061653 said:

9 OL taken in round 1. 9!!!!!

The draft has changed people. NO Running Backs and 1 Quarterback taken in round 1.
I think it had more to do with the unusual lack in skill players than the new contract rules.

Eddie

Reaction score
fanfromvirginia;5062137 said:
I think it had more to do with the unusual lack in skill players than the new contract rules.

It's a cycle.

Last year was about the QB's.

This is year is about protecting and attacking the QB.

JohnnyHopkins

This is a house of learned doctors
Reaction score
I woke up this morning pretty happy that we have Frederick. Still not so stoked about where we picked him, certainly annoyed about the 49ers taking the Jones boys behind the woodshed. Hopefully these day two picks will make the bad taste go away.

bsheeern

Reaction score
plymkr;5061630 said:

To me I see a huge difference in the 12 pick in the third 3rd vs just saying its a 3rd pick. Especially when there are only 30 picks in round 2.

I would have to think if Kiffen doesn't view Floyd as a 4-3 DT or Reid as a cover 2 type safety then why draft one of them?

bsheeern

Reaction score
fanfromvirginia;5062137 said:

Sure that played a huge part. Wasn't saying otherwise. Just noting that because of lower contracts you will see guards and less "sexy" picks, picked higher because of the new rookie salaries.