2019 Cowboys Mock Draft 1-16-2019

timb2

Reaction score
1-Traded away for Amari Cooper

2-Hakeem Butler (6'-6",205 lbs)WR Iowa State
Reason for this pick-Both Terrance Williams and Allen hurns are most likely done. Gallup is a great WR but not sure he couldn't be better suited as a 3rd WR if Beasley leaves.

3-Corbin Kaufusi(6'-8,290 lbs)DE/DT BYU
Reason for this pick-Another DE DT to add to the rotation. He has the frame to get bigger and enough speed to come off the edge.

4-Myles Gaskin(5'-10",191 lbs)RB Washington
reason for this pick-what we really missed was a good pass catching 3rd down change of pace scatback to relieve Elliott for a breather.

5-Tommy Sweeney(6'-5",255 lbs)TE Boston College
Reason for this pick-Georff swaim cannot stay healthy,Rico Gathers is an enigma, need another tough gritty move the chains TE.

6-traded away

7-BJ Blunt(6'-1",220 lbs)OLB McNeese State
Reason for this pick. Depth and special teams.

timb2

Reaction score
2019 Cowboys Roster

QB-Prescott,Rush,White
FB-R.Smith
RB-Elliott,Gaskin,D. Jackson
WR-Cooper,Beasley,Austin
WR-Butler,Gallup,N.Brown
TE-Jarwin,Gathers
TE-Schultz,Sweeney
LT-T.Smith,Fleming
LG-Sua-Fila,C.Williams
C-Fredrick,Looney
RG-Martin
RT-Collins

RDE-Charlton,Gregory
RDT-Crawford,Reid,Irving
LDT-M.Collins,Woods
LDE-Lawrence,Kaufusi
OLB-Wilson,Lee,March-Dillard
MLB-J.Smith,Covington
OLB-Vander Esch,J.Thomas,Blunt
CB-B.Jones,A.Brown
CB-Awuzie,Lewis
FS-Woods,Earl Thomas(Seahawks)
SS-Heath,Frazier

P-Jones
K-Mahrer
LS-LaDoucuer

cowboyec

Reaction score
solid job man.
I am a sucker for tall DLinemen...I really like Kaufusi.
also a big fan of Butler and Gaskin.
TE from BC intrigues me.
good job.

Questfor6

Reaction score
I wouldn't re-sign Beasley if I were drafting Butler. Cooper can man the slot in 3 WR sets with Gallup & Hakeem outside. Butler's game reminds me of AJ Green, I'll take him at 58 or Preston Williams a little later on over re-signing Beasley any day.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Gaskin intrigues me though I think his receiving ability is sort of unknown as he wasn’t utilized in that way much at UW.

I agree with the general notion that we need to get Zeke some relief. I like Rod Smith more than most because he’s sort of a Swiss Army knife that can do a lot of things including play on special teams, but I think we can improve in that area.

IIRC, the team really like Nyhiem Hines last year but Indy nabbed him. He was a smaller stature back so I don’t think Gaskin’s size would prohibit them from being interested.

DanA

Reaction score
I liked Butler’s tape and had him as a target but earmarked him a little later in the draft. Maybe a 2nd is more appropriate, either way he’s a player we could use.

The Realist

Reaction score
Gaskin intrigues me though I think his receiving ability is sort of unknown as he wasn’t utilized in that way much at UW.

I agree with the general notion that we need to get Zeke some relief. I like Rod Smith more than most because he’s sort of a Swiss Army knife that can do a lot of things including play on special teams, but I think we can improve in that area.

IIRC, the team really like Nyhiem Hines last year but Indy nabbed him. He was a smaller stature back so I don’t think Gaskin’s size would prohibit them from being interested.

We already drafted the injured Bryce Love, the only question is what round.

bodi

Reaction score
Hakeem Butler (6'-6",205 lbs)WR Iowa State

never heard of this guy before

nice find

timb2

Reaction score

I like Rod Smith becoming a FB/HB type. He could become another Ron Springs type FB who was more weapon than just a plodding blocker is what the Cowboys like to have recently..

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
I like Rod Smith becoming a FB/HB type. He could become another Ron Springs type FB who was more weapon than just a plodding blocker is what the Cowboys like to have recently..

I liken him after Richie Anderson. Anderson’s best days were as a FB under Parcells with the Jets but he finished up his career with a couple of productive seasons as a Cowboy.

timb2

Reaction score
I liken him after Richie Anderson. Anderson’s best days were as a FB under Parcells with the Jets buy he finished up his career with a couple of productive seasons as a Cowboy.
I agree we need a weapon at FB

cnuball21

Reaction score
Big fan of Butler, but why would we draft a WR with our first pick when we have a stud in Coop and a great young WR in Gallup in a run first offense?

bodi

Reaction score
Big fan of Butler, but why would we draft a WR with our first pick when we have a stud in Coop and a great young WR in Gallup in a run first offense?

well how would like line up of Butler - Cooper - Gallup

switch Cooper an Gallup to the slot move them in and out

DanA

Reaction score

I think an argument can be made.

In a scenario where we lose Beasley, Austin and Hurns, WR becomes a pretty dire need. They might only play 500-600 snaps which is probably a little less than you want a 2nd round pick to play but the alternative is Cedrick Wilson as 3rd receiver which is a pretty grim situation.

I'm probably looking for a guy that's more slot that can receive punts.

cnuball21

Reaction score
I think an argument can be made.

In a scenario where we lose Beasley, Austin and Hurns, WR becomes a pretty dire need. They might only play 500-600 snaps which is probably a little less than you want a 2nd round pick to play but the alternative is Cedrick Wilson as 3rd receiver which is a pretty grim situation.

I'm probably looking for a guy that's more slot that can receive punts.

That’s fine, but don’t sleep on Wilson as I thought he was a solid prospect and way underdrafted.

If we are going to draft kid, my preference would be similar, in that it is more of a slot player that can return kicks.

Switzer would be nice example...

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
If you draft a WR they are going to have to provide some added utility either as a returner (KR/PR), coverage units, or both. I don’t know if Butler provides that.